Illinois State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois State

Our team is getting much better each game. Looks like competition for court time is causing some of our players to step up their performances. We have some good teams coming to town and need to keep improving. Still disappointed in blocking for such a big athletic team. Illinois State has some good players and can not be happy with last nights pounding.

"We had some unforced errors tonight, but I thought Missouri State caused a lot of those, and played a great match," said head coach Sharon Dingman. "We got very impatient with our blocking, and had some breakdowns defensively. But I have to credit Missouri State. They did a great job attacking both our frontcourt and backcourt defense.

"We just weren't a very good volleyball team tonight at times. We have to turn around and focus on our match against Wichita State tomorrow. They are arguably playing better than anyone else in the Valley right now, so we have to be ready, and not let this match affect us mentally."

If we play the way we can - WSU will impact the mentality of the Redbirds.
    GO SHOX!

Wichita State 3, Indiana State 0

WSU (18-4, 9-1 MVC); INS (3-15, 0-10 MVC)

WICHITA, Kan. – Wichita State improved to 18-4 overall and 9-1 in the Missouri Valley Conference with a sweep of Indiana State Friday night inside Charles Koch Arena. The Shockers won by scores of 30-12, 30-24, 30-15.

Emily Stockman led all players with 15 kills, while Abby Harsh chipped in a match-high 25 assists.

Every Shocker played in the match as all 17 players saw action in the contest. Stephanie Volden led Indiana State with six kills, while libero Kristy Cox recorded 10 digs. The Sycamores out-blocked the Shockers 11-7, but WSU’s defense limited Indiana State to a -.010 hitting percentage on the night.

The Shockers raced out to a 17-7 lead in game one and increased it to 22-10 after a kill by Sara Lungren. WSU reached game point at 29-12 after a Sycamore hitting error and won 30-12 after an Emily Stockman kill.

A Stockman kill gave WSU an early 14-8 lead in game two and a service ace by Katie Niggemeyer gave the Shockers a 19-12 advantage. The Sycamores cut the lead to five at 24-19, but the Shockers won the game 30-24 with a Stockman kill.

The Shockers began game three with back-to-back service aces by Melissa Granville and a Stockman kill gave WSU a 16-5 lead. WSU won the game 30-15 after a Sycamore hitting error.

The Shockers next host Illinois State on Saturday at 7 p.m.

Try and come to tonight's match!! 3000+ would be great! :D
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Shox lead game one 7-5

Comment

Shox win game one, 30-26 :goshocks:

Comment

Shox up two games to zero, 30-26 and 30-28

Comment

whew! what a close game 2.

Comment

Shox sweep Redbirds in 3 games

30-26, 30-28, 30-22

Comment

Just checking in from the Hotel. Looks like the Redbirds gave the Shocks a real battle.

From looking at the Live Stats it looks like the Shocks pretty much rode the right arms of Emily Stockman, Sara Lungren, Stephanie Tokarz and Katie Niggemeyer to victoy.

Katie's stat line (10-2-21 = 0.381) caught me a little bit by surprise as she has not been playing that much recently.

Also, I was impressed that the Shocks held M.C. Richmond to 0.038 hitting percentage (6-5-26) and Peggy Reisen to 0.024 (7-6-42).

I'm not sure why the scores were as close as they were considering the Shocks outhit the Redbirds 0.268 to 0.149. Could it have been the fact we only had 2 service aces and 14 service errors (I really dislike service errors immensely) and were outblocked 8 to 6? Looking forward to reading the comments of those who were able to attend the match. Hope we had a good crowd tonight.

In any case, great to keep pace with Missouri State and maintain our position in the MVC Race.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                  Just checking in from the Hotel. Looks like the Redbirds gave the Shocks a real battle.

From looking at the Live Stats it looks like the Shocks pretty much rode the right arms of Emily Stockman, Sara Lungren, Stephanie Tokarz and Katie Niggemeyer to victoy.

Katie's stat line (10-2-21 = 0.381) caught me a little bit by surprise as she has not been playing that much recently.

Also, I was impressed that the Shocks held M.C. Richmond to 0.038 hitting percentage (6-5-26) and Peggy Reisen to 0.024 (7-6-42).

I'm not sure why the scores were as close as they were considering the Shocks outhit the Redbirds 0.268 to 0.149. Could it have been the fact we only had 2 service aces and 14 service errors (I really dislike service errors immensely) and were outblocked 8 to 6? Looking forward to reading the comments of those who were able to attend the match. Hope we had a good crowd tonight.

In any case, great to keep pace with Missouri State and maintain our position in the MVC Race.
                  We had both poor serve and serve receive that kept Illinois State in the game, but we dominated pretty much every other facet of the game.
                  "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

UNI sweeps Creighton 30-24, 30-24 and 30-25 in Omaha. UNI and and Creighton now tied for 3rd at 8-3.

Shocks and MSU now 2 games ahead of the pack and tied for first at 10-1.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Comment

Too many service errors, some communication problems, too predictable (if we go to Emily all the time, other teams block her), reception errors (Melissa did not play that well at times), etc.
                      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I see that we only drew 1,754 for a quality opponent. I thought that was pretty good for a Friday night vs Indiana State, but I have to say that is a little dissappointing for an important Saturday nigth match against a team that whooped us at home last year in a very key match.

:shock:

Comment

Looked very blah at times. Volleyball is an energy game and it just didn't seem to be there at times (simliar to UNI match). Sara definately carried us at the beginning of the first set and for part of the second when it seemed we didn't have the energy. She looked more dominating at those times then I've seen her all year, plus she had a couple nice solo blocks. Stephanie's game was more spread out and she didn't seem to stand out, but still put up great numbers. Emily didn't look very good the first set and a half, but was the horse the last set with a 10-1-14 line. One time in the 1st set we had 4 service errors out of 5 attempts. Lamb wasn't happy at all.

I don't make much out of our getting outblocked most games. When you can hold the other team to 13 kills a set I think you're defense is doing just fine. A lot of the "attacks" Ill St had tonight were out of system from off the net that just aren't going to get blocked. From what I can recall of the boxscores, our blocking numbers seem to go up against the better teams. What that means to me, in a lot of cases, is that those teams are getting more good hard swings in. Hard to get blocks on people who are tipping the ball or hitting off their feet from the back row.

Comment

I see that we only drew 1,754 for a quality opponent. I thought that was pretty good for a Friday night vs Indiana State, but I have to say that is a little dissappointing for an important Saturday nigth match against a team that whooped us at home last year in a very key match.

Possible reasons for lack of attendance... football, football, football and more football. Oh, and a big baseball game with WSU connections.
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU

Possible reasons for lack of attendance... football, football, football and more football. Oh, and a big baseball game with WSU connections.
                              Good points, but if you are a true Shocker fan I consider those excuses not reasons, besides that what DVR's are for.

:goshocks:

Comment

Working...
                              X