Best Western Shocker Volleyball Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Western Shocker Volleyball Classic

North Carolina and OU should provide a couple of good tests for the Shockers this weekend. Grambling State perhaps not so much, but when your playing 3 matches in just over 24 hours you probably need a sacrificial lamb (no pun intended) on the menu, although I expect Grambling State will have a few decent athletes on the floor.

Here is some info on UNC who will be up 1st for the Shocks:

2008 Record: 22-11
    2008 ACC Record: 15-5
    2008 ACC Finish: T-1st
    2008 NCAA Tournament: Second Round, L - Oregon
    Letterwinners Returning/Lost: 10/4
    Starters Returning/Lost: 3/3 + Libero

Top Returnees:
    Ingrid Hanson-Tuntland Sr. MB 6-0
    Heather Brooks Sr. MH 6-3
    Suzanne Haydel Jr. OH 5-11
    Erica Behm So. S 5-11
    Kaylie Gibson So. DS/L 5-3

Top Newcomers:
    Cora Harms Fr. S 5-8
    Heather Henry Fr. OH 6-1
    Emily McGee Fr. OH 5-11

Key Losses:
    Brianna Eskola - Libero, ACC First Team, avgeraged 5.05 dps
    Stephanie Jansma - Setter, lead team with 6.63 aps
    Lauren Prussing - OH, ACC First Team, averaged 2.82 kps

UNC is 1-2 with a 3-1 win over Albany, a 3-0 loss to #16 Southern Cal and a 3-2 loss to #20 Michigan State in East Lansing last weekend.

They were not terribly competitive against USC losing 11-25, 22-25 and 16-25. However, they did come back with a strong effort against Michigan State on the Spartans home court losing a tough 5-setter by scores of
    16-25, 25-18, 27-25, 22-25 and 12-15.

The Sooners are picked to finish 7th in the Big XII this year.

They went 4-0 in Houston last weekend, but the level of cometition was not real strong overall. They did have a nice sweep of homestanding Rice who the Shockers defeated in the 1st round of last year's NCAA Tournament. OU defeated Rice by scores of 25-22, 25-11 and 25-23 to go along with sweeps of Houston Baptist and Nicholls State and a 3-1 win over Central Arkansas.

OU's attack will be lead by Sarah Freudenrich a 6'4" Jr MB, Suzy Boulavsky a 6'1" Soph Right Side, Bridge Laplante a 6'0" Sr OH, and
    Francie Ekwerekwu a 5'11" RS Jr MB. We might also see Caitlin Higgins a 6'0" Soph OH and/or Morgan Reynolds a 6'2" Freshman OH.

Interestingly, of the 13 players on OU's roster 9 are from Texas with 1 each from Oklahoma, Puerto Rico, Utah and Missouri.

Comment

Grambling State is 0-3 having been swept by Arkansas, TCU and Loyola Marymount last weekend in Ft. Worth. Those matches lasted an average of 61 minutes each.

Grambling State could offer Lambo a chance to get some of his lesser used players some experience, although you always have to guard against taking an opponent too lightly.

Hopefully, Shocker fans will get out in force for the UNC and OU matches. Not sure that the Grambling State match will draw much of a crowd, but we will see.

:goshocks:

Comment

The big question is will they play Sweet Caroline between set 2 and 3?
        First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

Originally posted by shock10
          I predict the Shox will be up 2-0 and we can change the words to "Sweep Carolina".

Comment

Originally posted by shocks771
            Originally posted by shock10
            I predict the Shox will be up 2-0 and we can change the words to "Sweep Carolina".
            I like it! :good:

Comment

I think this will be a "make or break" weekend for the Shocks. They have the talent and experience; can Chris Lamb put together the right pieces?

I think we need Stephanie Tokarz on the right until we get a better option. She is long and has tons of experience. I wish Kim would get a shot at some playing time but Chris needs to do what is best for the team.

OU will be tough. UNC will be tough.

:goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks:
              Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

The first actual volleyball in CKA since the FIVB men's matches occurs today:
                Fri, Sep 04 Grambling State vs. Oklahoma - - at Wichita 4:30 p.m.
                WSU plays at 7PM. It should be great; I hope you come watch the Shocks play and cheer on the team.
                Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

1,100 season tickets sold this year. Up 200 from last year.

Shocks up against some pretty good high school football tonight, especially Heights vs Carroll, and opening weekend of College Football. But still I would hope we can average 3,000 for the UNC and OU matches. Set those DVR's Shocker Fans and support your team.

:goshocks:

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                    Shocks up against some pretty good high school football tonight, especially Heights vs Carroll, and opening weekend of College Football.
                    Key quote of your post.

I'd like to go, but I'm ready for some football.. Heights and Carroll looks awesome.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                      Shocks up against some pretty good high school football tonight, especially Heights vs Carroll, and opening weekend of College Football.
                      Key quote of your post.

I'd like to go, but I'm ready for some football.. Heights and Carroll looks awesome.
                      JC will be disappointed. I heard JC was looking forward to seeing you there.

:D

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                        Key quote of your post.

JC will be disappointed. I heard JC was looking forward to seeing you there.

:clap:

You're bad '72, very bad. :lol:

For the record, I'm trying to convince the other half to go as we speak (or type).
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Thanks. It was pretty shameless and a cheap exploitation of JC.

Comment

Interesting goings on at the Chuck.

OU wins Set 1 25-19, but GSU takes Set 2 by a 25-21 score.

Shocks, of course, need to focus on UNC tonight, but looks like we better not look past GSU tomorrow.

Comment

Nice win by the ladies tonight! Got off to a slow start but rebounded strongly and pretty much dominated the last three sets. Let's get two tomorrow ladies! Go Shox!

Comment

Working...
                              X