X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockers vs North Texas

Shockers sweep an outgunned North Texas team 30-22, 30-22 and 30-18 in a somewhat spotty performance.

Kelly Broussard was outstanding at the Libero for the Shockers with 21 digs.

Sara Lungren was her usual solid self (12-3-25 = 0.360) but she did have 3 service errors. Looks like she has changed her service style from last year.

Katie Niggemeyer also was pretty solid (7-2-15 = 0.333) in the middle.

Newcomer Emily Stockman had some good attacks and has a unique and effective jump serve. However, she also had quite a few attack errors and 3 service errors. Her attack line was 9-8-29 = 0.034. On the plus side she had a very good 18 digs. Emily is very athletic and I think will be a Shocker fan favorite.

I thought Stephaine Tokarz was pretty much a non-factor and I prefer the athleticism of our other middles to Stephanie's height and length.

Not sure what happened to our blocking work as both teams had only 4 blocks, although the Shockers had a size advantage. Emily Stockman and 1 solo block and Sara had 2 solo blocks. Angela Jakubov and Katie Niggemeyer combined for the Shocker's only other block.

Will need to play better and more consistent tomorrow night to have a chance against K-State who looked pretty good in their win over #14 ranked Cal Poly.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

I did not catch the very beginning of Lambo's post game remarks with Mike Kennedy.

However, I got the feeling that he was thinking of dropping the 6-2 and going with the 5-1 as long as Abby's back can hanlde it?

Did I catch that right?

Comment

Attendance of 2,147 was better than I was expecting considering the opponent (no disrespect to North Texas who I thought played a very scrappy match).

However, student attendance was dissappointing again. Hopefully, they will show up in big numbers for the K-State match.

Kudos to the 9 students that did show up with S-H-O-C-K-E-R-S spelled out on their chests. Hard to tell how many students were in attendance but I would be surpirsed if it exceeded 25-30. I did see P.J. and a couple of other Basketball players in attendance.

Looking forward to helping the Shockers to an attendance record tomorrow night.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Comment

Not to bad for the first match of the year, but not to great either. We didn't have a ton of blocks and it wasn't a lot better then last year, but they didn't put up a ton of solid hits either and we did get a lot of balls off finger tips at the net which is good. I thought Stockman played better then her line, but she's definately a threat. Reminds me a little of Younes (sp?), but with the other hand. Tokarz moved a little more side to side, but was pretty much a non-factor. Part of that was that they didn't really hit from the middle for her to get that one or two solo blocks she will get against other teams. We were defineatly a better team with Abby on the floor, but I also like what I saw from Anderson. I'm excited for the rest of the weekend to see our team develop and find their roles. There will defineatly be some competition across that front row for playing time.

Comment

Most likely the players "overlooked" North Texas a little bit and are really focusing on K-State and that Poly Pocket team.

Comment

I saw most of the basketball team there. An added bonus was R Brad was there and spent some time chatting with Rob Kampman. Rob looks like he can play with anyone today.

I actually was extremely impressed with Emily. I thought she was the best player on the floor. Sara was solid but it really looked to me like she has lost a step with the knee injury. I was looking forward to Stephanie stepping up but that sure didn't happen.

Amanda Moore played well in spot action but it seems that her mind wonders and consistency is a bit of a problem. Lambo tried Kayla Stout as the setter but seemed annoyed with a couple of mistakes and quickly turned to Kaitlyn Anderson as Abby's backup and I thought Kaitlyn played well.

It didn't seem like an A performance but it was a sweep against a team that did get us last year so all wasn't lost.

I agree completely that a much better effort and execution will have to be seen tomorrow if they expect to compete, much less defeat KSU.

All in all, a fun evening of Shocker sports. A really outstanding group of kids enjoying what they do.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

I love watching Shocker VB, but can someone explain what the stats from 1972Shocker mean?

Comment

First number is Kills
                Second number is Errors
                Third number is Attempts
                Last is the Hitting Percentage

>.300 is good for an outside
                almost .400 is good for a middle

<10% errors is the defacto goal

Comment

Originally posted by shockersigep921
                  First number is Kills
                  Second number is Errors
                  Third number is Attempts
                  Last is the Hitting Percentage

>.300 is good for an outside
                  almost .400 is good for a middle

<10% errors is the defacto goal
                  To expand on this explanation just a little bit. As 921 said the first number is the number of kills, the second is the number of attack errors and the 3rd is the total attack attempts.

Hitting % = (Kills - Errors)/Total Attempts

i.e. Sara Lungren hitting % was (12-3)/25 = 9/25 = 0.360

If you have more Attack Errors than Kills then you will have a negative hitting percentage.

As a team the Shocks hit 0.176 (42-21-119) for the match vs .009 (25-24-115) for North Texas.

K-State hit 0.153 and Cal Poly hit .187 in their matches tonight.

K-State's Russian recruit Natalya Korobkova had 26 kills in their 5 set match. However her hitting % was only 0.175 (26-15-63).

The best hitting line of the night with more than just a few attempts belonged to Jaclyn Houston of Cal Poly (14-1-24 = 0.542). An excellent night indeed.

Last year the Shocks hit .224 as a team led by Stephanie Tokarz at 0.335. Sara Lungren was MVC Player of the Year with a 0.239 hitting %. The team attack errors last year represented 12.7% of their total attacks.

2006 National Champ Nebraska hit 0.296 as a team. Their attack errors were 13.8% of their total attemtps. Their successful kill rate was a very good 43.5% vs 35.0% for the Shockers.

You might want to go to goShockers.ocm and study the box scores to get a feel for the stats they keep in VB.

Comment

As mentioned earlier the Shockers had 4 blocks in 3 games.

K-State had 13 blocks and Cal Poly had 18 blocks in their 5 game match.

Shocks will need to pick it up beginning Saturday night vs K-State.

Comment

WuDrWu: I'm not sure repairing a meniscus tear should slow Sara down; I had this type of surgery this summer and have been playing soccer (at my top speed) for a few weeks. I thought Sara's timing was off, not her speed. BTW: A couple of students (actually freshmen Honors students, as it turns out) sat near me and seemed to enjoy the game; they said they would be back for the Saturday match.
                      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I didn't communicate my thoughts very well. To me, Sara looked tentative (as if her knee was bothering her) and she seemed to be less explosive in her jumps as she has been in the last years. It was not a lack of speed that I intended to question.

She is a tremendous athlete and a fighter like no other. I hope I am looking at it completely wrong and that it was just a timing issue. She deserves a pain free and successful senior season.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                          I didn't communicate my thoughts very well. To me, Sara looked tentative (as if her knee was bothering her) and she seemed to be less explosive in her jumps as she has been in the last years. It was not a lack of speed that I intended to question.

She is a tremendous athlete and a fighter like no other. I hope I am looking at it completely wrong and that it was just a timing issue. She deserves a pain free and successful senior season.
                          I'm not sure Sara is in top game shape at this point. However, as far as looking tentative and/or slow I think you can contribute a lot of that to the fact that the Shockers used 3 different setters in the match and none of them were exactly pinpoint with their setting. Lambo did not seem real happy with his setters. Despite not looking her sharpest Sara was pretty efficient. Her attack 0.360 hitting % was the 2nd best in the 2 matches last night for players with 10 or more attempts. On the other hand, the opposing defense/blocking was much tougher in the K-State/Cal Poly match.

Comment

First of all, I loved watching Cal Poly triple-blocking against K-State.

North Texas can cover the ball.

Getting down to our girls. Emily played solid and there shouldn't be any doubt that she'll make difference this year. Sara did play a bit tentative and may not be 100-percent unitl later, but her emotion and court leadership was evident. It's good to see Abby out there...her setting consistency established confidence and Lambo made the right call to bring in Kaitlyn. Kayla has a big heart and energy, but (right now) she doesn't have the hands. Katie played well and loved seeing her getting a few swings. Kelly's defensive play was exceptional. I didn't think Stephanie played to her potential (72 Shocker doesn't seem to be a big fan of her), but middle sets are challenging and need to be "on" - the timing between the Kayla and her was off. Did Lambo change the lineup before the match? Melissa Granville didn't get much time - was it because of the 6-2?

All in all, an ok start with plenty of room for improvement and I"m sure the girls will rise to the challenge. Tonight's game against K-State should be interesting..... Cheers!

Comment

'72 I appreciate your input and like the ad campaign I am trying to learn the game.

I have no arguement with your assessment but it seemed to this layperson that Emily was getting a lot of good sets. I'll admit that it seemed like she had a lot better swings at it than Sara and that Sara did a lot more with the few good sets she had.

With Lambo's quick hook on Kayla (I am not sure but it wouldn't surprise me if Kaitlyn was shocked about entering the game) it sure seemed like he was frustrated with the setters.

I think we both agree that a much better performance/effort will be needed to be successful tonight and tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X