No announcement yet.

Attendance Average for 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purdue was never really a threat to finish over 3,000 per match. Their weekend draw of 4800(?) or so was actually a good weekend for them.

Their figures were inflated by about 1,000 per match by reporting 10,000+ on the night of their Basketball madness. That represented (at the time) a doubling of the season total and a large jump in the rankings. They generally drew a little under 2,000 per game, a nice crowd, but not close to their reported attendance.

Comment

• It is interesting to look at the changes in attendance for #3 Wisconsin and #4 Minnesota.

Wisconsin finished 2007 ranked #14 and drew an average of 5,050 fans per match to finish #3 in attendance. This year they are still #3 in attendance but they are unranked and their average attendance has fallen to 4,299 (a 14.9% decline).

OTOH Minnesota finished 2007 unranked and drew an average of 3,316 fans to finish #4 in attenfdasnce. This year they are ranked #15 and have increased their attendance from 3,316 to 3,924 an increase of 18.3%.

Are the Shockers at a point where there attendance will rise and fall with their national ranking or are they at a stage they will continue to gradually grow attendance? Time will tell. Hosting a regional would be a big boost.

Comment

• Well, it looks like no top 5 attendance. Penn State just had a crowd of 5,799, which means they only need a crowd of 1,960 on senior night tomorrow to pass us for 5th place.

Nonetheless, we will move up a slot from last year and being ahead of #1 Penn State until the final weekend isn't too shabby.
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
          Well, it looks like no top 5 attendance. Penn State just had a crowd of 5,799, which means they only need a crowd of 1,960 on senior night tomorrow to pass us for 5th place.

Nonetheless, we will move up a slot from last year and being ahead of #1 Penn State until the final weekend isn't too shabby.
          Penn State drew 3,012 in their final match against Wisconsin to move past the Shocks back into 5th place.

I think the crowd of 5,799 vs Northwestern may have been tied in with a Pep Rally for the Penn State football team prior to their Big 10 chamipionship clinching win over Michigan State.

Nevertheless, we move up one notch to #6 as TMH pointed out.

Although I do not think the post season attendance counts in these rankings it will be interesting to see how Shocker fans support the team in post-season play beginning this coming Friday.

:goshocks:

Comment

• The Valley tourney attendance will count according to what Lamb said last night at half time! We will move back into the 5 spot and maybe...#4?

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker22
              The Valley tourney attendance will count according to what Lamb said last night at half time! We will move back into the 5 spot and maybe...#4?
              It wasn't counted in 2006 when Illinois State finished 25th in attendance and hosted the MVC Tournament.

Even if it did count we would need to draw 17,400 over 2 games to move into the #4 spot so that obviously is not going to happen.

We would need to draw an average of 3,608 over 2 games to pass Penn State or 4,051 if we (God forbid) only play one game. Again, I don't think it counts, but even if it did, I doubt we draw crowds that large.

Word is that advance ticket sales to date have been pretty slow. So unless Lambo's personal appeal to the crowd at the WSU-Centenary Basketball game has a big late impact and we have a very big walk-up business, then attendance for the MVC Tourmanment games may very well be below our current average attendance for the year.

If that proves to be the case then maybe it's good that they don't count.

Comment

• Look at http://uwbadgers.com/pdf/?id=9011 and http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticl...ATCLID=3626490.
                "WSU is ranked fifth in the nation in attendance and had a season-high crowd of 5,916 on Oct. 25."
                Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

• So what happened to swap WSU and PSU?

Comment

• The 4219 fans who attended the MSU@WSU MVC tourney game.
                    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

• Ahhh, so the tourney counted. I didn't realize that.

:yahoo:

Comment

• So #5. I really doubt it will get any higher than that any time in the near future. So, hopefully the athletic department takes advantage of all of this and really does a good job marketing the program next year.

When does the schedule for 2009 probably come out?

Comment

• Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                          The 4219 fans who attended the MSU@WSU MVC tourney game.

That was the biggest 4219 crowd I have ever seen.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu
                            Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                            The 4219 fans who attended the MSU@WSU MVC tourney game.

That was the biggest 4219 crowd I have ever seen.
                            I agree... my wife and I estimated the crowd was near what it was at the KSU game last year... we ought to know, we sit at the top and it looked about the same.
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                            X