Chevron Rainbow Wahine Invitational

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevron Rainbow Wahine Invitational

The Lady Shocks VB team will get the 2015-16 athletic year off to a start with a very challenging trip to the University of Hawaii this weekend.

Based on the AVCA Preseason Poll Hawaii is ranked #18 and Oregon #29. The Shockers received 9 votes in that poll which would slot them at #39.

This is a great opportunity for the Lady Shocks. Lambo stated at the VB101 event that he thought this team was the best defensive team he has had at Wichita State.

They will certainly have their hands full this weekend.

Friday 8/28 @ 9:30 pm CT vs #29 Oregon State
    Saturday 8/29 @ Midnight CT vs #18 Hawaii
    Sunday 8/30 @ 7:30 pm CT vs Idaho

Hope the Ladies have some fun and I really hope they have some success on the court as well. A 2-1 record in this tournament would be great.

:poster_shocks:

Maybe it's the camera angle but that Rainbow Wahine appears to have some major ups! The photo is from Hawaii's preseason intra-squad scrimmage.

Comment

Geez, no joke on the vertical. We heard Saturday night that the Hawaii match will be on the internet to watch!

Comment

I don't think a camera angle would inflate that jump much. Plus if anything, that angle wouldn't do it justice.

Comment

The camera angle ain't half bad.

Comment

Originally posted by SPEShockAlum View Post
            Yes, I wanna see a close-up. :)

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by SPEShockAlum View Post
              There are no such things as bad angles, or even half bad angles, in volleyball.

That is all.

Comment

The volleytalk community, a fairly intelligent group for an internet message board imho, doesn't think much of our chances of being better than 1-2.

Our match against OSU is one of the pickem selections for the week.

They didn't bother to put our match against Hawaii as one so they aren't giving us a shot at all in that match.

A quick and by no means accurate count had the posters selecting OSU by a 71-18 margin, which are actually better odds than they give OSU of beating Hawaii on Sunday, which is 84-5.

Comment

Oregon State lost 4 starters from last year's team that went from 0-20 in the PAC12 in 2013 to 9-11 in 2014. BUT it's pretty safe to say that Fr. OH Mary-Kate Marshall had a big part in that uptick.

PAC12 FOY and all around stud. Make no mistake, she can carry the Beavers singlehandedly.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    Oregon State lost 4 starters from last year's team that went from 0-20 in the PAC12 in 2013 to 9-11 in 2014. BUT it's pretty safe to say that Fr. OH Mary-Kate Marshall had a big part in that uptick.

PAC12 FOY and all around stud. Make no mistake, she can carry the Beavers singlehandedly.
                    Hawaii, OTOH, returns 12 letterwinners including 5 starters. Middle hitter Olivia Magill earned AVCA All-America honorable mention and all-Big West first team honors last season. Magill, who is a senior, led the conference last season in hitting percentage (.405) and blocks per game (1.34). Also returning are all-Big West first team members Tai Manu-Olevao and Nikki Taylor. Manu-Olevao led UH with 289 kills and was second on the team with 34 aces last year as a junior. Taylor finished 2014 with 239 kills and 79 total blocks. The Rainbow Wahine also returns Big West all-freshman team player Kalei Greeley and starting setter Tayler Higgins who will be a junior this year. I am not 100% sure but I think the player jumping out of the gym in the above photo is Magill.

Sounds like the Rainbows had a very good class of newcomers as well including three freshmen, two outside hitters—Casey Castillo who is 6-3 and McKenna Granato who is 6-0 and 6-5 middle hitter Natasha Burns. Two-time AVCA junior college Player of the Year, Annie Mitchem is 6-3 and can play all six positions in the rotation.

Streaming Video: Hawai'i's matches are available to watch online at either http://ocsports.tv/ocsports_live -or- BigWest.tv

HONOLULU—The No. 18 University of Hawai'i women's volleyball team opens the 2015 season this week, hosting Idaho, Wichita State, and Oregon State in the Chevron Rainbow Wahine Invitational, Aug. 28-30. The 'Bows open the tourney on Friday, Aug. 28 against former WAC rival, Idaho at 7:00 pm. UH will then face Wichita State on Saturday, Aug. 29 at 7:00 pm and Oregon State on Sunday, Aug. 30 at 5:00 pm. Both the Shockers and the Beavers received votes in the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Pre-season Coaches' Poll after posting solid seasons a year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

its a tough job but someone has to do it.

Comment

Comment

Predictions from top to bottom: Head Coach: Dave Shoji -- Return or retire? 70% he'll return. If he retires, oh boy will there be a scramble for this job! I want someone from the mai

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            I resemble that.

Comment

Emily Heibert ready to lead the Shocks into action with high expectations for this season beginning tonight vs Oregon State. Lambo is not really doing anything to dampen those expectations either:

“This volleyball team is as capable as doing high-level volleyball things as any team we’ve had,” he said. “Based on my measures, this team does things at a really high level for Wichita State volleyball.”

Comment

Working...
                              X