2014 Volleyball 101 Dinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Volleyball 101 Dinner

The 6th Annual Volleyball 101 Dinner, which for me always kind of rings the bell for a new year of Shocker sports, will be held on Saturday, August 23rd.

WICHITA, Kan. ? Wichita State volleyball will host its sixth annual Volleyball 101 Dinner on Sat., August 23.

If you have never attended a Shocker VB 101 Dinner I believe you would enjoy it. I've not missed one yet and have enjoyed them all.

The silent auction seems to grow year-by-year. The memorabilia is not restricted to Volleyball items. There were quite a few very nice Men's basketball items in last year's auction. The thing with the VB 101 auction you are not competing with as large a crowd for items as you would be at Rockin' The Roundhouse, although they will probably have about 400 in attendance.

The Shocks will open the season the following weekend at Kentucky where they will play Butler and Virginia Tech in addition to the host Wildcats.

:poster_shocks:

I hate to repeat everything that @1972Shocker: so eloquently states, but if you enjoy Coach Marshall's event in May, you'll love this one. If you are frustrated that you can't buy anything at the basketball auction, here's your chance to essentially use a groupon. You will get a chance to say hi to Shannon and Chris and introduce yourself to any and all of the team including a number of former players that will be in attendance and they always have more fun games and auctions to get involved in than the basketball team does.

It's just a great time, I've missed one of these and it literally almost killed me. I don't plan on ever missing another.

Comment

Also, and this will be of particular interest to @Kung Wu:, rumor is that Ron Baker will be in attendance and selling his new line of Glam-Boy sunglasses with proceeds benefitting the Shocker VB program.

Doc, have you heard where the Dinner With the Team will be this year. I was wondering if they are going to do Taste and See again this year. For any newbies the Dinner With the Team is one of the live auction items. However, the price is set ($250 per party of 2) and you are just bidding for the somewhat limited spaces available. The 1st four years were at River City Brewery. Last year the Dinner was at Taste and See which is a very unique and entertaining experience in and of itself. The operators of Taste and See are good friends with Karen (Augspurger) Parra so my guess is will see a repeat of that. I think the dinner last year was in October.

Comment

I'll see what I can find out. That was a lot more fun than I anticipated....and I anticipated it being a whole lot of fun.

Comment

Are there very many kids (14+) who attend? Being newly single makes these types of events more awkward and a little less fun. But it might be something my son would enjoy as long as he's not the only young-un there.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
            Are there very many kids (14+) who attend? Being newly single makes these types of events more awkward and a little less fun. But it might be something my son would enjoy as long as he's not the only young-un there.
            Not a lot of teenagers. A few here and there. Mostly an older crowd. There are a handful of reserved tables but the majority of the seating is open seating.

Last year a we did have a gentleman who attended with his 16-year old granddaughter. She seemed to have a good time. We also sat with a young couple that had driven in from Western, KS for the event. He was a ranch manager.

Two years ago Dani Mostrom's parents, younger sister Gabi (who is now a Shocker) and her younger brother were at our table.

We have always just randomly picked a table with folks we don't know and, so far, have always had an enjoyable time. There are a lot of really nice folks who support the Shocks.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 11, 2014, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Debbie and I attended the very first one and I won the "Play golf with Chris" auction item. During our golf outing I asked him what he thought of his first event and he said he was blown away with the response and the money it brought to the program. This is as '72' and 'Doc' has pointed out a low pressure atmosphere and a good place to pick up less expensive goodies than at RTR and the Gregg Marshall auction. Debbie and I only missed the last two events for obvious reasons but I will be looking forward to attending this year.

Comment

Called in yesterday and got my ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                  Thanks for the reminder. Picked up a pair of tickets today.

Got to thinking about the 1st Shocker VB match I ever attended. In fact, the 1st college VB match I ever attended. My only previous exposure to VB was following my daughter's high school team. While I enjoyed the high school VB I was in no way prepared for the show I was about to receive.

Previously the Shocker VB team operated pretty much in the shadows, however, I noticed it was starting to receive a little bit of play in the media. I told my wife we ought to take in a match and see what they have going on out at Levitt arena in the fall. After all we enjoyed our daughter's VB matches in high school. The match was on September 13, 2003 against San Diego State. Then Sara Younes shows up. The 5-10 Sara was beautiful, charming, smart and tremendously athletic. Other than that she did not have much going for her.

After Sara had finished demolishing the Aztecs with a Shocker individual match record of 14 aces using a powerful jump serve I picked up my jaw off the floor and said Wow! I had no idea. Sara and her fellow Shocker standouts (Karen Augspurger, Andee Hartig, Elizabeth Meyers and Jen Ray) had me reeled in hook, line and sinker.

The next year and every year since I have been a season ticket holder and have enjoyed the ride immensely. During my 1st 5-years as a season ticket holder the Shocks were 135-24 (0.849) overall and 85-5 (0.944) in Valley play. Nothing like being spoiled. That 5 year run by the Shockers seemed to wake Northern Iowa who had previously been dominating the Valley plus Missouri State and Creighton got the message. In addition, Lambo began to beef up his non-conference schedule to improve he team's chance of receiving at-large bids. While the next 5 years the Shocks were not as dominate they were still plenty good. Over the full 10 years I have been a season ticket holder the Shocks are 255-67 (0.792) overall and 154-26 (0.855) in Valley play.

But there is much more to it than just winning big. It's the way Lambo and his Ladies go about their business as student-athletes and representatives of Wichita State University. It's as good as it gets in that respect.

The bottom line, however, is that I find Shocker Volleyball tremendously entertaining. And that entertainment can be enjoyed at a very, very reasonable cost.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 13, 2014, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    But there is much more to it than just winning big. It's the way Lambo and his Ladies go about their business as student-athletes and representatives of Wichita State University. It's as good as it gets in that respect.

The bottom line, however, is that I find Shocker Volleyball tremendously entertaining. And that entertainment can be enjoyed at a very, very reasonable cost.
                    Brilliant.

Comment

WSU VB

I agree! Shocker VB epitomizes everything that is good about college athletics! The girls have high character, they are all good students & they play a great brand of volleyball. It's no wonder that Lambo carries so many girls on his roster because they all love to play in this kind of a program & there are only 12 scholarships available for it. It's not like baseball where the 11.7 scholarships are spread among 27 players, not that I agree with that approach.

The WSU VB program also participates in a number of community service projects, too.

Comment

Originally posted by xazshox View Post
                        The WSU VB program also participates in a number of community service projects, too.
                        Yes they do, but fortunately that can be said of pretty much all of our programs. We have good young men and women pretty much across the board representing Shocker Nation.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                          @pogo: if you meant to send a private message I didn't get it. Try again!
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Volleyball 101 is only a week away. Let's show Lambo and the girls some Wheatshocker support.

Comment

Nice support for the program last night. Coaches Adams and Butler were there in support as well. Bidding was more active it seemed than in previous years and I think every table was filled. It was an enthusiastic crowd. One notable alumni was Sara Lundgren/Walkup with daughter and husband in tow.

Comment

Working...
                              X