No announcement yet.

Portalnd NIKE Invitational

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocks sweep the Pilots who have to be the best 0-5 team in the country.

They lost to Kansas State at UNLV last week 24-26, 25-19, 25-23, 19-25, 15-11

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      Shocks sweep the Pilots ...
      11, 31 and 23

Comment

Feekin with a crazy line of 12-0-17 for a .706% AND had 45 assists and 6 blocks.
        For the day, Feekin was 18-1-25 .680% to go with 79 assists and 10 blocks. We'll see how the season ends up, but Chelsey is certainly entering the discussion of all time best Volleyball player at WSU.

Comment

Seems to be a lot of confusion on the back row during these past games. Coach Lamb has so many littles that one would think wsu would use them exclusively for the back row. Right now, there are not a lot of good passes therefore sets struggle and ultimately can make it extremely hard on the hitters.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUShock View Post
            Seems to be a lot of confusion on the back row during these past games. Coach Lamb has so many littles that one would think wsu would use them exclusively for the back row. Right now, there are not a lot of good passes therefore sets struggle and ultimately can make it extremely hard on the hitters.
            Are you suggesting that Katie and Sam cease to be 6 rotation players?

Comment

Are you suggesting that Katie and Sam cease to be 6 rotation players?
              I just don't see that happening. Substitution rules just don't allow that. Right now we rotate 2 littles in using substitutions. These means a total of 4 subs per rotation. If you get locked in a side out battle at 100% rate a team could run out of substitutions (15 limit I think it changed to last year) before hitting 25 pts. I know that scenario is not realistic, but if you add one more big for little sub, that would put you at 6 subs per rotation. This means you could get through 2 and a half rotations before running out of subs. In my opinion that would not be a smart move by a coach as 2.5 rotations typically covers a set, but is not unusual to go slightly longer than that. That is why you'll see a situational little sub in towards the end of a set where substitutions are still available. It was even worse when it was 12 subs per set.

I didn't get to see the 2nd set, but by looking at the box score it looks like WSU was very afraid of running out of subs due to the extra scoring and Ashley Andrade was playing the back row to end the set. Can you imagine how frustrating it would have been if we got stuck with a little in the front row before either team reaching 25?

Comment

Thanks for that @dregn:. I'm still not sure what @WSUShock: was trying to say, but you quantified what I wish I could have explained. Many thanks.

Comment

Thanks for that @dregn:. I'm still not sure what @WSUShock: was trying to say, but you quantified what I wish I could have explained. Many thanks.
                  What I am saying is what good does it do to have people in the back row if they can't pass effectively like the littles. Shox loose a point automatically if it's a shanked pass by the back row. I understand rotations and substitutions but a lost point, is still a lost point.

Comment

From the Portland postgame: Lambo mentioned again two primary concerns - 1) we are not digging the opponent's pin hitters well enough, and 2) we still need more production from our pins. He did note that Sam stepped up when he "challenged" her (something short of calling her out) and hit the ball hard (10-1-16 for .562).

Comment

BYU played Fresno State earlier today in the tournament - but this is the only match BYU plays in the tournament? Huh?! You were wondering too, right?

Sooo ... Portland State is also hosting a tournament in town. BYU came over from that tournament to play Fresno State, and Utah State went from this tournament to that tournament to play Pacific. I assume this was done due to conference-affiliation considerations, but I am not *that* curious to want to figure it out.

Now you know.

Comment

BYU sweeps Fresno State 25, 13 and 16 in Portland.

In a somewhat unusual arrangement this is the only match BYU is playing in this "tournament" and Utah State plays only 2 matches. Their match with the Shocks yesterday and against Portland tonight. Looks like BYU is playing actually playing in a tournament at Portland State this weekend. They play Oklahoma this evening.

Lambo mentioned yesterday that some of these teams will only come to your tournament on the condition they play only one match a day. Not sure if that is in play here or not.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                          Now you know.
                          Yes, I was. And at the same time.

Comment

Utah State crossed over to the Portland State Tournament and played Pacific this morning. Probably was a conference affiliation issue as @flyingMoose suggested.

Utah State and Fresno State are both in the Moutain West.

BTW, Utah state after getting pounded by Pacific in the 1st two sets (16-25, 11-25) came back to win the match taking the final 3 sets 22, 22 and 11. Utah State has now played 4 five-setters in 5 matches this year, the only exception being their 3-1 win over UNI.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 7, 2013, 02:42 PM.

Comment

creative use of scheduling

Comment

For the day, Feekin was 18-1-25 .680% to go with 79 assists and 10 blocks. We'll see how the season ends up, but Chelsey is certainly entering the discussion of all time best Volleyball player at WSU.
                                As I recall people that knew thought she was going to be very special.

Comment

Working...
                                X