NCAA Tournament - other matches of interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    KU (with a big assist from Shocker fans) did a good job supporting the regional in Lawrence. However, I wonder what kind of attendance we would have drawn if this regional had been held at Koch Arena.
    was sub-regional in Lawrence. Regionals aren't till this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
      It is kind of annoying that the NCAA doesn't use consistent terminology, since in baseball it is regionals and super-regionals, while in volleyball it is sub-regionals and regionals.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
        It is kind of annoying that the NCAA doesn't use consistent terminology, since in baseball it is regionals and super-regionals, while in volleyball it is sub-regionals and regionals.
        Volleyball terminology in this regard is the same as the (more well known) basketball terminology. So that makes baseball the outlier. Of course, the baseball postseason is an entirely different format, since it isn't single-elimination.

Comment

Volleyball terminology in this regard is the same as the (more well known) basketball terminology. So that makes baseball the outlier. Of course, the baseball postseason is an entirely different format, since it isn't single-elimination.
          Not denying that (although both volleyball and baseball focus on the 4 team groups while basketball focuses on 1-16 seeding in practice), but whichever is the outlier, it would make things easier if the terminology was standardized. There is no reason why sub-regional/regional wouldn't work to describe a double-elim tournament. I didn't mean it as a mark against volleyball so much as against the whole system.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

We're talking about the NCAA here. Not exactly the group to look to when it comes to making sense of anything that they do.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

nm

Comment

Yes, my error. Actually does the NCAA even call the 1st weekend the sub-regionals? I think they are referred to as the 1st and 2nd rounds by the NCAA. At least according tho the NCAA bracket.

Actually I don't think the sub-regional is even used by the NCAA. I think they are referred to as the 1st and 2nd rounds by the NCAA.

Subregional is just an easier common sense way to report it. Most fans will also refer to the regionals as the Sweet 16 and Quarterfinals as the Elite 8, and the Semi-Finals as the Final Four.

Subregional is just an easier common sense way to report it.

Comment

For those interested, Penn State-Minnesota is online here. Not sure if the same link will get you later matches.

Comment

#3 Texas 3 - #6 USC 0 (19,22,14) Pretty impressive win for the Lady Longhorns
                    #1 Penn State 3 - #8 Minnesota 1
                    #5 Oregon 3 - #4 Nebraska 1
                    Michigan 3 - #2 Stanford

The unseeded Wolverines crash the party. After losing the 1st set 20-25, they roared back to sweep the #2 seeded Cardinal out of the tournament 20, 20, 20.

Penn State takes on Oregon and Nebraska takes on Michigan in the semi-finals. Would love to see an Oregon-Michigan final.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 9, 2012, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X