Temple - None

UTSA v Texas
    Last Saturday, but no score on either site.​

Tulane 3-1 Louisiana

Tulsa v Central Arkansas

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
      17-25 in the last.
      The Shocks were down 6-17 and pretty much imploding when K-State cleared their bench.

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
      We have a lot of work to do.
      Perhaps understated. Supposedly the main concern for this team was to find some scoring on the pins. That concern remains. Emerson and Brooklyn were just okay combining to hit 19-9-54 = .185. Alyssa Gonzalez, Gracie Morrow, Allie Paulsen and Nadia Wasilewski combined to hit 3-4-22 = -.045 with most of that from Alyssa who was 2-1-14 = .071. None of these ladies look to be ready for prime time neither skill-wise nor physical-wise. I guess nerves could have contributed.

Morgan Stout and Sarah Barham were a combined 8-5-32 = ​.094 with Sarah only managing 1 kill in 10 attacks. That's a far cry from what we usually see from our middles.

OTOH, I didn't think Izzi looked all that good either even without having to worry about double hits. Perhaps she and her targets are simply not on the same wavelength yet but there was a clear difference between the power displayed by K-State and the lack thereof by the Shocks, In any case and for whatever the reason 30 kills on 113 sets = .265 isn't very efficient. K-State had 46 kills on 127 sets = .362.

It would be nice if we could say the serve and pass game, the back row defense and/or the blocking game looked good but that would not be truthful.

Not sure what the prognosis for Gabi playing this year is or how long Maddie Wilson will be sidelined. I don't think I would rush either one of them back before they are totally ready.

A little surprised we did not see Sarah Musial in the 3rd set after KSU cleared their bench. Coming into the season my expectation was that Sarah would redshirt this year. That is probably still the plan but I wonder if Lambo will give some thought of going to a 6-2 offense if the Shocks don't start showing decent progress.

Need to see some significant improvement next weekend.

Comment

There were some bright spots:

We looked good most of the first set.
        We did out block K-state in the first two sets, 4-1 and 4-2, but we got no blocks in the third set, they had 4.
        Some freshmen got to play- Gracie Morrow, only briefly in the first set, Grace Hett, who played in the third set and got an ace, Nadia Wasilewski and Allie Paulson, both played in set two and three.
        They really went after Emerson on serve receive. 36 of 78 of their serves were at her. She had the only reception error and who knows how many of their 7 service errors were directed toward her. Annalie, who was served at the second most, had 12. She's gonna have to get used to this and make they other team pay by passing well.
        Annalie had 14 digs. Emerson and Izzi were tied for second on the team with 10, and Reagan had 7. Annalie dug some really hard hits.
        Brooklyn and Swifty both had solo blocks. Swifty lead the team with 4 BA, Izzi- 3, Sarah and Emerson-2 and Allie-1.
        Lots of people in the stands, quite a bit had K-state gear on.

The not so bright spots:

Gabi didn't play, but I don't think she was wearing a brace, at least not the one she was wearing in the media day photo. Hopefully that is a good thing.
        Maddie Wilson in a boot. Hope the injury isn't too bad and she will be back on the court soon. Coach really talked her up, I was hoping to see her play.
        In the last two sets it seemed like there was always something off a little- digs/passes, sets, shots- on most every rally. They never seemed to all click at the same time. It didn't help that K-state played good defense and the ball bounced their way a few times. This will get better.
        Why didn't we try out the two libero system? Neither team did this. As far as I have read, that rule change has not been rescinded. Maybe they were not limiting substitutions so it didn't matter.

I'm glad we are playing Kennesaw State next (another KSU). I don't think we have ever played them. Looks like the program has only been around, or maybe D1, since 2006. The WSU website says we have never played Indiana. Indiana's web site says we have played them once in 1992 in Springfield, MO and we won 3-1. Sounds like a winning streak worth continuing. We also get a chance to start 2-0 vs a different KSU.

Comment

Shockers Picked Second in AAC Preseason Poll

​Wichita State was picked second in the American Athletic Conference preseason poll announced Monday. Redshirt senior middle blocker Morgan Stout and fifth year senior Izzi Strand were both tabbed to the preseason all-conference team.

After splitting the conference into East and West Divisions a year ago, the conference returns to a single division in 2024. With the departure of 2023 conference champion SMU to the ACC, The American now has 13 teams. The AAC has also brought back the postseason conference tournament, which will take place in Wichita from November 22-24. The top 8 teams qualify for the AAC Tournament with the winner receiving the AAC's automatic bid to the NCAA tournament field.

East Carolina junior outside hitter Angeles Alderete was named the AAC Preseason Player of the Year. Only Wichita State and South Florida had more than one player on the preseason all-conference team.

2024 American Athletic Conference Volleyball Preseason Coaches' Poll
          (First-place votes in parentheses. Coaches could not vote for their own teams/players)

1. Rice (8) – 136
          2. Wichita State (4) – 127
          3. South Florida (1) – 121
          4. East Carolina – 106
          5. Florida Atlantic – 104
          6. North Texas – 86
          7. UTSA – 79
          8. Temple – 57
          9. Memphis – 56
          10. Tulsa – 52
          11. Charlotte – 36
          12. Tulane – 30
          13. UAB – 24​

Teams the Shockers Play Twice in Bold

Not sure the Shocks looked up to this pick with their performance against K-State but exhibitions and scrimmages often aren't always great predictors.

Realignment has had a negative impact on the strength volleyball in the AAC as UCF, Houston and SMU (and Cincy on occasion) were pretty solid programs. So this pick is not as strong is it would have been prior to realignment.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 26, 2024, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            Heeeeeere comes the Elephant in the Room thread bump!
            I don’t have the prescient ability of Nostraducmus, but after a decent year last year, I think we can move the elephant back outside for at least a year. I don’t expect a bad season. Glad to see Lamb start to get back on track.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post

I don’t have the prescient ability of Nostraducmus, but after a decent year last year, I think we can move the elephant back outside for at least a year. I don’t expect a bad season. Glad to see Lamb start to get back on track.

lmao
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Glad to see the AAC graduate from the junior high ranks and actually have a postseason tournament.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Lambo had his first radio show on this past Monday. No show next Monday due to Labor Day.

Comment

Lambo said that if they had known Brooklyn was going to come along strong on the left, which has been a fairly recent thing, they had a shot at a couple of right side players who would be starting now but that they had pretty much penciled in Brooklyn on the right. If Brooklyn was going to be on left then Maddie would be on the right. But Maddie had what they thought was a sprained ankle in the spring but it has turned out to be a bit more that and she is still in a boot and not practicing. And they really don't have that yet. Indicated that Maddie might be back in a couple of weeks. Confirmed that Gabi will in fact miss the entire season recovering from ACL surgery.

He thinks he can mimic the scoring on the left they got from Ba and Webby last year but right now behind the setter (the right side) is a problem. Only Morgan Stout is providing anything there and that is something they have to solve.

Looked back as Sarah Barham's Wofford highlights to see what worked well for her their and will try to incorporate those things in the offense for Sarah.

Lambo seemed to be satisfied with the Shocks serve and pass game and their blocking game vs K-State.

The bottom line is the scoring questions remain and loom large. Need more balance or opponents will simply focus on the 2 of 3 that are effective and that will make things tougher.

Lambo said it is getting tough to put together a home tournament. If you are not offering a ton of guarantee money it is getting nasty out there. A lot of teams who promised returns to Wichita don't seem to feel like that is really something they need to honor. Gee who would of thought money would be the driver to how things work in college sports.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 28, 2024, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Go Shockers - RH: Podcast with Katie Zimmerman, Ashleigh Houlton on Shocker Volleyball

Listen to the podcast

Wichita State volleyball assistant coaches Katie Zimmerman and Ashleigh Houlton join the podcast to preview the season. We talk about the scrimmage against Kansas State, their thoughts on the AAC adopting a conference tournament and the rule change on double hits. We also discuss newcomer Sarah Barham and her play as a middle blocker, Emerson Wilford's increasing role in the offense and Morgan Stout's rise as a scorer in the middle.

The Shockers open the season on Friday at Kennesaw State. Their first home match is on Sept. 19 vs. Cal Poly to open the Shocker Volleyball Classic.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

RH: Podcast with Mike Kennedy, Tami Cutler on Chris Lamb

Listen to the podcast

Voice of the Shockers Mike Kennedy and Tami Cutler, strategic communications, join the podcast to reminisce about volleyball coach Chris Lamb as he enters his 25th season at Wichita State. We discuss Lamb's affection for teaching the sport, educating fans and using baseball analogies.

We talk about the first NCAA team in 2004, the 2017 AAC champions and NCAA hosts and why Lamb possessed the ability to turn Shocker volleyball into a force. Mike and Tami go through some of their favorite teams and Shockers and do their best to pick their All-Lambo lineups.

The Shockers open their home schedule vs. Cal Poly on Thursday (7 p.m.) in the Shocker Volleyball Classic.​

Comment

This podcast was a good review of Shocker VB history. I actually thought Tami Cutler did a better job than Mike Kennedy. Tami at least mentioned Shannon Lamb's contributions to the program.

Perhaps just an oversight but I was surprised Natalie Foster's name wasn't mentioned among our best all-time middles although Morgan Stout's name was. I hope that was just an oversight and not something more petty. Or maybe Natalie wasn't as good as I thought she was.

Comment

Go Shockers - RH: Shocker Sophomore's Hobby Is Raising Cows

Wichita State volleyball coach Chris Lamb watched Maddie Wilson play club volleyball. He liked her athletic ability and hustle, but he had finished his recruiting for her class.

"I just knew she could be really good," he said. "I always had my eye on her. I was always checking in on her."

While it took a few years, Wilson did end up on Lamb's roster and recent matches show why. She worked her way into the lineup at middle blocker after recovering from a foot injury and recorded seven or more kills in the past five matches. Attack percentages of .600 vs. Memphis, .467 vs. Temple and .333 at UAB demonstrate her potential to continue a rise in WSU's scoring plan.

"She found that sets that worked for her and has continued to work on the ones we haven't connected on yet," setter Izzi Strand said. "She is very fast. When she gets her arm ready, she has a really quick swing."

The Shockers (8-8, 3-1 American Athletic Conference) play USF (8-7, 4-0) at 7 p.m. Friday at Koch Arena. Florida Atlantic (10-6, 2-2) visits at 1 p.m. Sunday.

Wilson, a 6-foot-1 redshirt sophomore from Colorado, attracted Lamb's attention with that speed and agility. After earning conference Player of the Year honors and helping Palmer Ridge High School to the 2021 Class 4A title, she went to Idaho. After one semester, she decided to transfer. Former Shocker assistant Sean Carter, now coach at Idaho State, advised her to give WSU a look when she decided she didn't want to play in the same conference as her former school.

She redshirted in 2023 at WSU. This season she is part of the solution as Lamb tries to add scoring to pair with senior middle Morgan Stout. Missing the season's first six matches frustrated Wilson, eager to play and eager to demonstrate she could help the Shockers.​
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Thought this photo showed off Maddie's athleticism quite well:

image.png

Comment

Working...
                                X