No announcement yet.

Shocker SB v Memphis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most 10 team tournaments have 7,8,9, and 10 playing in first round.

I Agree a double bye is too much.

Comment

Other Sunday Games

North Texas 1-2 Charlotte
      With a run in the bottom of the seventh

Tulsa 2-6 Florida Atlantic

UAB 3-2 EastCarolina

USF 14-4(5) UTSA
      Last edited by flyingMoose; May 7, 2024, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Are all conference softball tournaments single elimination?

Comment

Very nice…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
            Are all conference softball tournaments single elimination?
            I am working on this.

ACC: top ten teams of thirteen, single elimination

Big 12: all ten teams, single elimination

MVC: all twelve teams, single elimination

Mountain West: top six teams of nine, double elimination

Pac-12: all nine teams, single elimination

SEC: all thirteen teams, single elimination

Sun Belt: top ten of twelve, single elimination

I think that answers the question: Yes, unless the conference is small enough to have the time (Wed-Thu-Fri-Sat) to do a double elimination tournament

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              Getting a little concerned about the Shocker offense. 0-5 with RISP in the first 2 innings.

With CC on 3rd, who had singled leading off the 3rd inning and Taylor on 2nd after a 1-out line drive double to left center Burbs gets an infield single to drive in CC with Taylor holding on at 2nd. After Sami grounded into a 6-5 force out leaving runners on 2nd and 3rd, Lainee drove a ball off the scoreboard on a truncated swing that she squared up about as good as you could to put the Shocks up 4-0. That was Lainee's first home run since March 9th.

The Shocks put another 4 spot up in the 5th to close out an 8-0 run rule win.

Chloe completes a 5-inning no hiiter. She wasn't super sharp as she walked 4 and hit a batter. MemphEx got a runner to 2nd in the 3rd inning and to 3rd in the 5th inning. Chloe did strike out 9.

Shocks secure the #4 seed for the upcoming AAC Tournament at Wilkins Stadium and will open play against #9 seed UTSA.

The Shockers swept UTSA in March 10-2, 8-0, 12-0 which were all 5-inning run rule games.

If the Shockers beat UTSA they get the winner of the game between the No 5 seed Tulsa and the No 8 seed South Florida.
              Chloe was not super sharp, but what I like to call conveniently wild. I saw so many swings at balls out of the zone. It was a very emotional day for our Shocker ladies. Lots of tears. The capper was Maddie scoring the game winning, regular season ending run. I will always appreciate her nonstop enthusiasm.
              Go Shocks!

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

I am working on this.

ACC: top ten teams of thirteen, single elimination

Big 12: all ten teams, single elimination

MVC: all twelve teams, single elimination

Mountain West: top six teams of nine, double elimination

Pac-12: all nine teams, single elimination

SEC: all thirteen teams, single elimination

Sun Belt: top ten of twelve, single elimination

I think that answers the question: Yes, unless the conference is small enough to have the time (Wed-Thu-Fri-Sat) to do a double elimination tournament
                Why is this? Wouldn't softball be better suited than baseball for double-elimination because of pitching? Regionals and Supers and WCWS is double? Doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

Anyway excited to go to a few this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

Why is this? Wouldn't softball be better suited than baseball for double-elimination because of pitching? Regionals and Supers and WCWS is double? Doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

Perhaps it comes down to the demand for games by ESPN+ and what they are willing to pay for the product.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

Part of this equation is the standard practice of not asking a team to play more than two games on a particular day and of playing all the games of the tournament at the same site. You could do that with a double-elimination tournament with six teams as one conference did. In the SEC, one of the teams not in its Top Six could win the NCAAs! Not likely, but ...

Regionals have only four teams and Supers have only two. Regional are double-elimination and Supers are best-two-of-three (equivalent to double-elimination).

The WCWS is two four-team brackets. The winners of those two brackets play a best two-of-three for the National Championship. The WCWS is played over eight or nine days, depending on how many days are required for the best two-of-three. There is an off-day before the best two-of-three begins, but the tournament may use that off-day because of earlier weather postponements.

TMI? :)

Comment

Wichita State Softball
                      @GoShockersSB
                      ·
                      Thrice as nice. For the 3rd time this season CC Wong is your @American_Conf Player of the Week! .
                      778 (7-9), 4 XBH (3 2B, 1 HR), 5 RBI

image.png​​
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 6, 2024, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Wichita State Softball
                        @GoShockersSB
                        ·
                        Back-to-back weeks on the @American_Conf Honor Roll for Chloe. 2-0 | 3 R | 3 H | 18 K | 9.0 IP Oh, and a no-hitter to boot!

image.png​​

Comment

Originally posted by OSShock View Post
                          Most 10 team tournaments have 7,8,9, and 10 playing in first round.

I Agree a double bye is too much.
                          If the AAC thinks that two teams from the league making the NCAAs is the best-case scenario most years, the double-bye "protects" in some sense the top two teams in the standings. Also the top two teams in the RPI? That is the case this year.

This sounds like another research project. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                            Part of this equation is the standard practice of not asking a team to play more than two games on a particular day and of playing all the games of the tournament at the same site.
                            Good point, I had not thought of that. I was going with time constraints (end of season to NCAA tournament), weather (adding to time constraints), and $$$ (not in any order) for the AAC having a single elimination tournament.

Comment

Working...
                            X