No announcement yet.

Shocker SB v UAB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nicely done. Chole was awesome. If she pitches like that the rest of the year, would be incredible.

Would like to see us slap hit a bit more, but that’s nitpicking.

Comment

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
      Would like to see us slap hit a bit more, but that’s nitpicking.
      Not something HCKB has shown much interest in incorporating in her offense. About the only slapper-type hitters I remember who played much were Kelli Spiring and Ashley Johnson who came in together in 2014 and played 4 years.

That said I would love to have a lead off hitter like UAB's Auburn Dupree to put at the top of the lineup in front of CC, Addie and Taylor.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
        Chloe is pitching fairly well. She is throwing enough strikes that UAB has to be swinging. I am encouraged through 4.
        I think that is a bit understated. I think Chloe pitched very well today. Yes, she walked 5 but you can live with that when you strike out 15 and only give up 2 bunt hits and an off the end ot the bat bloop to the opposite field that fell just inside the left field line.

One of the more encouraging things to me was that even when Chloe was missing she was for the most part right around the strike zone and not all over God's green earth (although a handul of pitches got away from her).

UAB had 13 players bat in this game. 12 of them were strikeout victims. Only 3rd baseman Lindsey Smith did not strikeout for UAB.

Coach Oliver-Elkins has taken some heat from the peanut gallery for the performance of this pitching staff this season which may be totally warranted and valid. I couldn't say for sure if she is to blame and there is no doubt the pitching has not been as good this year. But it was very good this weekend especiallly from Lauren and Chloe who have struggled the most of the 4 Shocker ptichers. So perhaps a little sunshine thrown Coach Oliver-Elkins way this weekend for the performance of the Shocker pitchers is warranted. The challenge remaining in front of the coaches and pitchers is to show that they can sustain this better pitching. I do have a question about Alex's health as I was not expecting Chloe to start today.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Nice to get a series win but after watching all 3 games I am a little disappointed that the Shockers did not get a sweep of this series. Our approach at the plate on Friday was just terrible and Alison certainly pitched well enough to win that game. OTOH, perhaps that was a wake-up call this team needed as the adjusted nicely in the final 2 games fo the series. I suspect Coach B and Coach E E were very clear in their expectations after Friday's game.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I think that is a bit understated. I think Chloe pitched very well today. Yes, she walked 5 but you can live with that when you strike out 15 and only give up 2 bunt hits and an off the end ot the bat bloop to the opposite field that fell just inside the left field line.

One of the more encouraging things to me was that even when Chloe was missing she was for the most part right around the strike zone and not all over God's green earth (although a handul of pitches got away from her).

UAB had 13 players bat in this game. 12 of them were strikeout victims. Only 3rd baseman Lindsey Smith did not strikeout for UAB.

Coach Oliver-Elkins has taken some heat from the peanut gallery for the performance of this pitching staff this season which may be totally warranted and valid. I couldn't say for sure if she is to blame and there is no doubt the pitching has not been as good this year. But it was very good this weekend especiallly from Lauren and Chloe who have struggled the most of the 4 Shocker ptichers. So perhaps a little sunshine thrown Coach Oliver-Elkins way this weekend for the performance of the Shocker pitchers is warranted. The challenge remaining in front of the coaches and pitchers is to show that they can sustain this better pitching. I do have a question about Alex's health as I was not expecting Chloe to start today.
            Chloe was amazing today. I just wasn't willing to go that far in the 4th. Lol. Is 15 strike outs in a game a program record? I agree with everything you said. One other thing I would add about the pitching recently. I dont have the stats to back this up, but it seems that since the 2nd inning of the OU game, the pitchers are much more consistently in the strike zone. I am encouraged about the recent outings. We can make some noise in the tournament with that kind of pitching.
            Go Shocks!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post

Chloe was amazing today. I just wasn't willing to go that far in the 4th. Lol. Is 15 strike outs in a game a program record? I agree with everything you said. One other thing I would add about the pitching recently. I dont have the stats to back this up, but it seems that since the 2nd inning of the OU game, the pitchers are much more consistently in the strike zone. I am encouraged about the recent outings. We can make some noise in the tournament with that kind of pitching.
              I believe 16 is the record .. set by Chloe earlier this year .. a game after tieing the previous record of 15. So I think Chloe now has 3 of the top 4 highest Strike Outs in a game record.

When she's on .. she's dominant. The key for the coaching staff is how do we get her to be in that mindset more often than not.

Comment

Other Sunday Games

UTSA 1-3 Florida Atlantic

North Texas 9-1(5) Memphis

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Fastball:

Riseball:

Changeup:

If Chloe can work all 3 of those pitches in an around the strike zone then good luck.

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Coach Oliver-Elkins has taken some heat from the peanut gallery for the performance of this pitching staff this season which may be totally warranted and valid. I couldn't say for sure if she is to blame and there is no doubt the pitching has not been as good this year. But it was very good this weekend especiallly from Lauren and Chloe who have struggled the most of the 4 Shocker ptichers. So perhaps a little sunshine thrown Coach Oliver-Elkins way this weekend for the performance of the Shocker pitchers is warranted. The challenge remaining in front of the coaches and pitchers is to show that they can sustain this better pitching.
                        I have often been the Lead Peanut in the Gallery, but I too am encouraged by the performances of Lauren and Chloe this weekend. UAB were #7 in the conference OPS list that I looked at a couple of weeks ago, but even if the other team can't hit a lot, you still have to throw enough strikes. Are the improved performances due to coaching? Luck? We should know more after next weekend. I am hoping for the former, of course. (North Texas were #5 on that OPS list.) And we still have the yo-yo performances of Alex and Alison to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

I have often been the Lead Peanut in the Gallery, but I too am encouraged by the performances of Lauren and Chloe this weekend. UAB were #7 in the conference OPS list that I looked at a couple of weeks ago, but even if the other team can't hit a lot, you still have to throw enough strikes. Are the improved performances due to coaching? Luck? We should know more after next weekend. I am hoping for the former, of course. (North Texas were #5 on that OPS list.) And we still have the yo-yo performances of Alex and Alison to consider.
                          Yeah, Chloe hass been good before and then totally lost it. Lauren was bad most of the year but has been much better recently. Both were lights thiss weekend and Alison has been the "ace" latley and pitched could enough to win Not sure what Alex's availability is and no coach's show this Monday. I was totally expecting Alex to start today. When I saw Chloe was stating I thought she would be on a short leash with Alex at the ready to come in if Chloe ran into trouble. I thought HCKB might go get Chloe after the bloop double and walk to open the 6th inning but instead Coach O came out. Not sure what she told Chloe but 3 strikeouts on 10 pitches to close out that UAB at bat was mighty impressive.

So I would call this weekend very encouraging for the pitching staff but that doesn't mean they are over the hump. They have to prove they can get the job done on a consistent and sustained basis.

Comment

I thought HCKB might go get Chloe after the bloop double and walk to open the 6th inning but instead Coach O came out.
                            Yes, I think that was noteworthy. It suggests to me a conversation like, "Remember the things we have been working on. So let's ..." Or maybe, "You are going to finish this game. Go get it!"

Comment

When Chloe throws strikes and at least keeps the ball near the zone, she can be absolutely great and the very pitcher we've been hoping for for years.

But she's also had too many games where she's struggle to be in the same area code as the strike zone.

If only we had a good pitching coach that could help her find some consistency. She is the type of pitcher (potentially) that could help propel us through the tournament and make a run.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                              X