Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game Three (last chance)

Oops! An 11 am start.

Lineup: CC, Addie, Taylor, Bailey, Sami, Lainee, Caroline, Sophie dp, Krystin with Alex in the circle. Who else? She is the ace of the staff such as it is right now. Gress is pitching for the 49ers.

CC doubles and Addie and Taylor walk to load the bases. A groundout by Bailey scores a run. Alex retires the three she faces in the bottom half. 1-0 Shocks after one.

With two outs, Krystin singles in the second. After CC walks, Addie cranks a three-run homer. Alex gets three more batters including a K. 4-0 after two.

Barefoot is on to start the third for Charlotte and retires the three Shockers she faces.

The bottom of the third gets ugly. A double with two outs scores a run. A walk and Sami's error load the bases, but Alex gets a K to end the threat. 4-1 Shocks after three.

Barefoot retires three more Shocks in the fourth. Back-to-back doubles by the 49ers with one out puts runners at second and third. A sac fly scores one before Alex get another K. 4-2 after four.​

Addie lead off the fifth with a double and later scores on a single by Sami. 5-2 in the middle of the fifth.

Two singles with one out put runners at the corner for Charlotte. A sac fly scores a run. 5-3 after five.

With two outs in the Shocker sixth, Krystin gets an infield single, and CC follows with a two-run blast. Addie walks and steals second, but nothing comes of it. 7-3 Shockers in the middle of the sixth.

Single runs for the 49ers in each of their last three at-bats. If Alex falters ... I can't bear the thought. :)

Charlotte leads off their sixth with a homer. Sigh. Three outs follow including another inning-ending K by Alex. 7-4 after six.

Sami doubles with one out, but two outs follow. Two hits by four players for the Shocks for their total of eight at this point. Still 7-4.

With one out, a double and a single put 49ers at the corners, and a walk loads the bases. It appears this game is Alex's to win or lose. Given the last two days, who can argue with that decision?

Lengthy delay in the LiveStats - a replay review?

A groundout scores one for Charlotte, but the game ends on a flyout to right.

Shockers 7-5 Charlotte

Alex guts out a complete game win, giving up ten hits and two walks. She had 4 strikeouts.

CC, Addie, Sami, and Krystin all had two hits. CC and Addie both had a double and a homer, Sami had a double. Addie and CC both had a multi-RBI games, three for Addie and two for CC.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; March 30, 2024, 01:26 PM.

Comment

A eerily similar start to today's game compared to Friday's first half inning. Not watching but I suspect they deliberately piched around Addie and Taylor. It worked the Shocks only scored 1 run. So in the last two games the Shocks have had the bases loaded in the 1st in both games and only produced 1 run.

However, the Shocks produced an oppo inning in the 2nd. After Caroline and Sophie grounded out to start the inning, Krysin singled, CC walked and Addie did this:

Not sure who would park their white SUV in that spot but it provides a nice target.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 30, 2024, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Moving PbP to one place.
        Last edited by flyingMoose; March 30, 2024, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
          e Three[/U] (last chance)
          [U]Gam
          Oops! An 11 am start.[PbP continued below. Or I may give it to 1972Shocker.]
          I am limited to color commentary today, if that. I would suggest you keep the PbP in one post. Makes it easier going back later.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 30, 2024, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I am limited to color commentary today, if that. I would suggest you keep the PbP in on post. Makes it easier going back later.
            K. The edit is underway.

I have recently thought back years ago when I first started the PbP. There was no Plus; nothing but LiveStats. That was my intent then; have it all in one post so someone (at work? traveling?) could go back later and get a feel for the flow of the game.

But now when clips from the Plus add pictures to the words, I am not sure how best to "arrange" the PbP.

Thoughts from anyone who comes to this thread after the game?
            Last edited by flyingMoose; March 30, 2024, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Big 2-out RBI single by Sami. Really good to see that.

Comment

CC with a 2-out, 2-run homer. 6 of the Shockers' 7 runs have come with 2-outs.

CC even one-handed the high chew coming around 3rd. CC seems to be back on her game.

Comment

Did Taylor come out of the lineup after striking out to end he top of the 6th? The live stats seem to indicate that's the case. That would be a huge blow to the Shocks if she is injured.

Comment

Sami with perhaps a game saving play snagging a terrible low and wide backhand toss from CC on a force play at 2nd and somehow keeping her foot on the bag.to record the 2nd out in the bottom of the 7th. That ball could easily have gone into left field. The out call was confirmed by resplay.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 30, 2024, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Did Taylor come out of the lineup after striking out to end he top of the 6th? The live stats seem to indicate that's the case. That would be a huge blow to the Shocks if she is injured.
                      I saw that and assumed it was a defensive change. But ...

Comment

A very badly needed win for the Shocks. This maybe how we have to wins games. Not for those with weak hearts. Concerned about what's going on with Taylor.

Bottom line, this team does not really look like a post-season team. Just too many holes and at this point questionable pitching. If there is a issue that keeps Taylor sidelined for any length of time that will make is just that much easier to pitch around CC and Addie.

Comment

I saw that and assumed it was a defensive change. But ...
                          I don't think you replace Taylor with Caroline for defensive purposes.

Comment

I don't think you replace Taylor with Caroline for defensive purposes.
                            Arm? Range? Not seeing any live softball to speak of, I am not in tune with those kind of details.

Comment

Arm? Range? Not seeing any live softball to speak of, I am not in tune with those kind of details.
                              Much betteer athete and much more experienced in the outfield. Caroline has primarily played 1st base in her time at Wichita State until Sami went down this year and they were forced to move Taylor to short.

Comment

Other Saturday Games

East Carolina 5-6(8) Florida Atlantic
                                After trailing 5-0 early, the Owls scored one in the seventh and another in the eighth to win.

North Texas 2-0 (8) USF
                                Only two hits by each team.

UAB 3-5 Tulsa

Memphis 8-2 UTSA

Florida Atlantic and North Texas have two losses. The Shockers, Charlotte, and Tulsa have four losses.

The standings against each other are-

3-0 North Texas
                                2-1 Florida Atlantic
                                2-1 Charlotte
                                2-4 Shockers
                                0-3 Tulsa
                                Last edited by flyingMoose; March 30, 2024, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X