No announcement yet.

Spring Volleyball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sarah Barham (transfer from Wofford) will be a busy, effective asset from Day 1.

Comment

Makes it official on Sarah Barham not that is was really in question:

Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 14, 2024, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Wichita State Volleyball
        @GoShockersVB

Adding some juice on the outside. After racking up more than 500 career kills and a pair of all-conference honors, Abby Whatton is taking her talents to Wichita!

image.png

Pima CC Bio and Stats

Played her freshman year at Yavapai College in Prescott AZ.

5-10 outside hitter. I'm thinking walk-on perhaps.

​​
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 15, 2024, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Glanced over Abby Whatton's Sophomore stats. Last year she had over 20 attempts for a majority of the matches, and many of those we in the 30 and 40 range. She had back to back games of 55 and 63 attempts. One game she hit .091 (17 12 55) the other she hit .302 (15 6 63).

In her freshman year she had a magical game- 13 kills 5 errors on 6(!!!) attempts for 1.333! Wow, truly magical. I would say that the number of attempts is off, but usually these number get corrected. Going off her number of attempts per game at both schools, I would guess that she was a big part of the offence.

Comment

Originally posted by Critter's Pa View Post
            Has the AAC done anything with next year's schedule? My over/under is July 11.
            Boy was I wrong. I guess I was pessimistic because of last year's handling of the schedule.

Tulsa released their schedule, I'm sure the Shocker's schedule will be coming out soon.

They start august 30th non-con against Campbell and Baylor. They also play Arkansas, Kansas, and Purdue. They have the potential to have a nice RPI.

Regular season: (All Friday/Sunday games this year)
            9/27 Home- UAB
            9/29 Away- Temple

10/4 Home- Rice
            10/6 Away- Tulane

10/11 Home- FAU
            10/13 Home- South Florida

10/18 Away- North Texas
            10/20 Away- UTSA

10/25 Home-UAB
            10/27 Home- Memphis

11/1 Home- WSU
            11/3 Away- WSU

11/8 Away- East Carolina
            11/10 Away- Charlotte

11/15 Home- UTSA
            11/17 Away- Memphis

11/22-11/24 AAC Tournament

Tulsa plays UAB, UTSA, Memphis and WSU twice. I think we got back to back on the same weekend with Tulsa because of distance. I wonder if that will be done with other teams.

Looks like we are dropping east and west divisions..? (Wasn't Memphis and UAB in the East division last year?)

Hope we get to play, and beat, Rice twice, they usually have a strong RPI. With Tulsa's potential for a nice RPI, I'm glad we play, and beat, them twice.

I have not checked around to see if any other AAC teams have released their schedules to see when we play those teams.

Hopefully Coach will put together a great non-con schedule.
            Last edited by Critter's Pa; May 16, 2024, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Thinking about the Tulsa schedule got me wondering, and maybe someone with better math skills can explain it to me. There are an odd number of teams in the AAC, 13. Tulsa does NOT have a bye. Assuming that teams only play Friday and Sunday, wouldn't there be a team with a bye every Friday and Sunday? I guess Tulsa's bye could be the first weekend if the AAC conference play started the weekend of Sept 20. Tulsa plays Kansas and Purdue that weekend. To not have a bye each week, one team would have to play 3 times each week. I don't see that from Tulsa's schedule either.

So, where is my math messed up? Any odd number divided by 2, will always have a remainder of one.
              Last edited by Critter's Pa; May 16, 2024, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Critter's Pa View Post
                Thinking about the Tulsa schedule got me wondering, and maybe someone with better math skills can explain it to me. There are an odd number of teams in the AAC, 13. Tulsa does NOT have a bye. Assuming that teams only play Friday and Sunday, wouldn't there be a team with a bye every Friday and Sunday? I guess Tulsa's bye could be the first weekend if the AAC conference play started the weekend of Sept 20. Tulsa plays Kansas and Purdue that weekend. To not have a bye each week, one team would have to play 3 times each week. I don't see that from Tulsa's schedule either.

So, where is my math messed up? Any odd number divided by 2, will always have a remainder of one.
                I don't think you math is off. A full 16 match schedule for 13 teams would require 104 matches. On the 16 Friday/Sunday play dates Tulsa is playing they can accommodate 96 matches (16 x 6). They could have 5 teams play all their matches on the same dates Tulsa plays and 8 teams needing to with each other to finish off the schedule. The question is how will the AAC choose to accommodate those 8 matches among those 8 teams. They could have 1 mid-week match each of the 8 weeks between 2 of those 8 teams. Or as you suggest maybe they will open the AAC season with 4 matches on Sept 20th and 4 matches on Sept 22nd with Tulsa and the other 4 teams taking a bye on that weekend.

Comment

Wichita State Volleyball
                  @GoShockersVB
                  ·
                  May 16

Went down to The Lone Star State and got ourselves a good one. A First Team All-District choice in Class 6A,
                  @lafferty_sydney joins the Shocker fam!

image.png

Rockwall is the East side of the Dallas metroplex and sits on the East shore of Lake Ray Hubbard.

Hudl Profile and HIghlights: .https://www.hudl.com/profile/15410750/Sydney-Lafferty

Appears to be some potential. Most likely will redshirt in 2024.​
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 17, 2024, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Has some projectables.

Comment

Interesting late sign.

Comment

Yesterday. 5/17, I checked all the other AAC schools and the AAC website for their new schedules. There were none. I got Tulsa's schedule from X (Twitter). I really wanted to see how the AAC was going to schedule an odd number of teams.

There will be teams that have two byes. The number of teams depends on how the AAC set up the schedule. Again, I concede my math may be off, and I would love to now where I am wrong, and I am using Tulsa's schedule as a templet.

The scenarios I have come up with:

1) 3 teams have 2 byes: 16 game days. 13 teams. Each game day, Fridays and Saturdays, a different team gets a bye for the first 13 gamedays. That leaves gamedays 14, 15, and 16. 3 teams would have to have a second bye these game days.

2) 8 teams have 2 byes: 8 Weekends (2 game days). 8 teams have their byes on the same weekend.

3) To not have a team with a bye, two teams would have to play 3 games in a week each week, but I don't see that reflected in Tulsa's schedule, as I think every team would have to play at least one 3 game week, and at least 3 teams would have to play two 3 game weeks for the same reason stated above.

4) The byes are not evenly distributed. E.g. 4 teams could have 4 gameday byes during the season, but that would leave those teams with a significantly lower number of conference games played.

2) Time travel. The AAC got its hands on the time machine that is just big enough to fit an entire volleyball team and staff. (I wondered where I left it.)

5) My math is wrong.

And I still don't understand where Tulsa's bye is at. This is why I think 8 teams will have weekends (back to back byes) off, and Tulsa is one of the 5 other teams that don't get a gameday bye during the season.

If I'm right, I hope the Shockers are one of the other four teams without a bye. Can always schedule a non-con game that week, but I'm guessing that the pickins get slim for teams to play in the middle of conference season. Rice and Texas have done this a number of years.

Comment

So the AAC decided to finally grow up and have a postseason tournament?
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Nm

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                              So the AAC decided to finally grow up and have a postseason tournament?
                              Yep, and I believe we are hosting the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                                Totally cryptic and a bit unusual:

If I had to guess I'm thinking Katie may have been referring to the upcoming trip to Brazil from May 26 through June 5th. Lambo said the NCAA allows them 10 days of practice time leading into that trip although he said not all the newcomers will arrive in time for all 10 days of practice. Hopefully, most will be here in time and have the paperwork needed to make the trip. For sure this would be a very beneficial trip to work Sarah Barham into the mix.

I thing they will play 4 matches in Brazil. Hope they have great weather and a great time.

Comment

Working...
                                X