Shocks @ Drake and @ Creighton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wshox View Post
    Disappointing losing to a CU team that is pretty good but got swept at home by the Kitties. No way K-State's program is better than our Shox! At least I hope so.
    K-State volleyball is a very good program and they are definitely better than the Shocks this year. They just swept #20 Dayton in Tulsa to go 12-0 on the season. They have sweeps over Creighton, Missouri State, Tulsa and Dayton.

They are currently ranked #19 and could be moving up. We will see how they do in Big 12 play but they look to be well on their way to a very good season.

As far as the MVC goes I'm not quite ready to concede the title to Creighton, but it is a concern for the Shocks to have a lineup that is still pretty unsettled. At this point it just doesn't appear that we are going to find a consistent socring on the right nor does it appear we are going find another back row player to provide consistent, quality support to Jackie on the back row. I do like the way this team competes, but we may be a couple of paddles short of a full boat to be a able to get back to the top of the heap in the MVC.

The only thing we can do is keep chopping wood and hope that a couple of kids start to get it on a more consistent basis.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 16, 2012, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      I'm not really sure how the match was as close as it was....Creighton is really good. And they have what we don't, and what we've struggled with throughout the year, a big athletic outside that can hit over us, time and time again.

Creighton has more talent than WSU on the front line. I don't know how that's going to change during the season. I was proud of the girls for fighting and keeping it close but it wasn't going to be tonight. Maybe we can get them at home, but that freshman is really good, and we had no answer for her all night.

Unless we can get some production on the outside, this team is going to struggle big time the rest of the way.

And Spangler, SIU is still going to finish behind MSU. I don't know why you've got this in your teeth so much, but you should let it go. Right now, it looks like MSU is better than WSU anyway.
      BYU had a great (6'7") player and WSU had match point against them. Is Creighton better than BYU? Does CU have a better front line than BYU? (If not, then WSU just needs to bring its A-game to have a reasonable chance to beat the Jays.)
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        K-State volleyball is a very good program and they are definitely better than the Shocks this year. They just swept #20 Dayton in Tulsa to go 12-0 on the season. They have sweeps over Creighton, Missouri State, Tulsa and Dayton.

They are currently ranked #19 and could be moving up. We will see how they do in Big 12 play but they look to be well on their way to a very good season.

As far as the MVC goes I'm not quite ready to concede the title to Creighton, but it is a concern for the Shocks to have a lineup that is still pretty unsettled. At this point it just doesn't appear that we are going to find a consistent socring on the right nor does it appear we are going find another back row player to provide consistent, quality support to Jackie on the back row. I do like the way this team competes, but we may be a couple of paddles short of a full boat to be a able to get back to the top of the heap in the MVC.

The only thing we can do is keep chopping wood and hope that a couple of kids start to get it on a more consistent basis.
        Still rather be a Shocker and not a kittie farmer. Shox could compete very well with KSU and in the Big 12 IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
          BYU had a great (6'7") player and WSU had match point against them. Is Creighton better than BYU? Does CU have a better front line than BYU? (If not, then WSU just needs to bring its A-game to have a reasonable chance to beat the Jays.)
          I have news for you....BYU didn't bring their "A" game against WSU, but the Shocks certainly brought their own. And Creighton's front line isn't a ton below BYU. They are big and good. There isn't an All America there, but don't kid yourself, they have talent, and a lot of it.

I don't believe I said WSU couldn't beat Creighton, but I saw enough of the Jays to know they aren't going to lose very many matches in the Valley. Bober was fighting an illness yesterday and while CU was really good, I don't think it was their best either.

Creighton is a legit top 20 team. I think BYU is a legit top 15 team, maybe top 10. Both teams are super. Both are better than WSU. I'm as big a fan of this program as anyone, but I am realistic too...I'm not sure what you want, from anyone, frankly.

Comment

Originally posted by Wshox View Post
            Still rather be a Shocker and not a kittie farmer. Shox could compete very well with KSU and in the Big 12 IMHO.
            So would I, but that doesn't make our team better than their team. I've seen KState. They are MUCH more physical than WSU and if the 2 teams met today, anything other than a KSU sweep would surprise me.

Also, while EVERYONE knows that KState ducked the Shocks for many years when WSU was clearly the superior team, the fact remains that our record against silo tech is not a good one, if we've ever even won a match in the modern era.

Nothing personal to anyone here that is vocal enough to support this tremendous program, but why must fans so often attempt to tear down the opposition to somehow improve their own standing? It seems petty, often times is just patently wrong, and in cases like these, really diminishes our own teams accomplishments.

Just my .02

Comment

Nothing personal to anyone here that is vocal enough to support this tremendous program, but why must fans so often attempt to tear down the opposition to somehow improve their own standing? It seems petty, often times is just patently wrong, and in cases like these, really diminishes our own teams accomplishments.

Just my .02
              Totally agree. I'm lost on some people's rationale on here. For example, comparing set scores and sets won as a single, solitary argument when trying to make a point. Scores are gauges in general, but to look specifically into them is just dumb. Like trying to compare a match point situation at home with BYU and then a 4-set loss to Creighton and then comparing Creighton and BYU based on those single matches. It makes about as much sense as somebody saying Creighton was a better men's basketball team than WSU last year because Creighton swept a bad Drake team and WSU split with them. Just complete stupidity.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I have news for you....BYU didn't bring their "A" game against WSU, but the Shocks certainly brought their own. And Creighton's front line isn't a ton below BYU. They are big and good. There isn't an All America there, but don't kid yourself, they have talent, and a lot of it.

I don't believe I said WSU couldn't beat Creighton, but I saw enough of the Jays to know they aren't going to lose very many matches in the Valley. Bober was fighting an illness yesterday and while CU was really good, I don't think it was their best either.

Creighton is a legit top 20 team. I think BYU is a legit top 15 team, maybe top 10. Both teams are super. Both are better than WSU. I'm as big a fan of this program as anyone, but I am realistic too...I'm not sure what you want, from anyone, frankly.
                I hope CU gets into the Top 25 soon; their record suggests that they belong there.

I don't understand your comment "I'm not sure what you want, from anyone, frankly" but, in your case, I wanted your opinion of Creighton. I have not seen them play and I assume that you have.
                Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

KSU jumped to 11th in the polls so maybe they are good this year. We'll see how they do in conference - doubt they will win it.

Comment

Considering Iowa State knocked off #1 Nebraska over the weekend, and Texas is a consensus top 10 team, I'd say the Big 12 is plenty loaded. OU and Baylor are also top 30 or so teams.

Comment

How in the hell does BYU drop from 15 to 16? They are 12-0.

CU would be 32 if the rankings went that deep. Somehow California is still getting votes...their own coach probably moved them up from 17 to 10 after they were swept by San Francisco this weekend.

UCLA takes over the #1 spot. 5 PAC 10 teams are in the top 10. Only Indiana and Wisconsin aren't receiving votes from the Big10.
                      Last edited by WuDrWu; September 18, 2012, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Creighton is RV (32nd) in the AVCA poll, the only Valley team to make the poll.

Comment

Creighton is playing KU tonight at 6:30 on Cox 22.

Comment

Originally posted by bunck View Post
                            Creighton is playing KU tonight at 6:30 on Cox 22.
                            KU 3-2 Creighton

27-25, 25-21, 21-25, 19-25, 15-13

Also, Oklahoma beat K-State in Norman, 25, 19 and 21.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                              KU 3-2 Creighton

27-25, 25-21, 21-25, 19-25, 15-13
                              Those losses are always the most frustrating, because they're so close to a win.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
                                Those losses are always the most frustrating, because they're so close to a win.
                                Yes they are. I saw a little some of the 3rd and some of the 4th set and all of the 5th set. I really thought Creighton was going to win. They really looked like the better team, but those 5th sets are always such a crapshoot and KU jumped out to an early 3-point lead and CU never could get back to even. CU did pull to 13-14 after trailing 9-12 but KU put the match away.

Really, a very good VB match against two very good VB teams. Creighton blocks the heck out of the ball and they look like the class of the MVC right now. KU also has some nice pieces but I think they can be a little inconsistent like some other team I follow.

Comment

Working...
                                X