Shocks @ Drake and @ Creighton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    I don't think you can write-off MSU just yet as they still have some very good players and they played Creighton very tough after the 1st set and a half on the road. The big issue with them is will they have to lean too heavily on Christine McCartney and wear her down as the season progresses.
    Time will tell but I think MSU fans are less optimistic than are you. Are they wrong or are you wrong?
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
      Time will tell but I think MSU fans are less optimistic than are you. Are they wrong or are you wrong?
      I can't speak for MSU fans, but I know I am not wrong because I'm not predicting what will happen to MSU at this point. I'm saying I don't yet know the story and am willing to let it play out, but I do still believe they will finish in the Top 4 of the league. Still very unclear to me, and I expect it will be for sometime, as to how that Top 4 will shake out.

Nor will I write-off the Shocks if they lose a match tonight in a place where they have never won against a very solid team.

I will say that I thought MSU was dead in the water and on their way to being absolutely decimated by CU mid-way through the 2nd set last night. I have to give MSU a lot of credit for the way they responded on the road and pushed that match to a 5th set. If I was a Bear fan I would be pleased that the Lady Bears just didn't rollover and cash it in for the night.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 15, 2012, 10:16 AM.

Comment

I'd find it tough to "be Creighton" in any case.
        Yes, must have been a freudian slip. Ha!

Comment

I can't speak for MSU fans, but I know I am not wrong because I'm not predicting what will happen to MSU at this point. I'm saying I don't yet know the story and am willing to let it play out, but I do still believe they will finish in the Top 4 of the league. Still very unclear to me, and I expect it will be for sometime, as to how that Top 4 will shake out.

Nor will I write-off the Shocks if they lose a match tonight in a place where they have never won against a very solid team.

I will say that I thought MSU was dead in the water and on their way to being absolutely decimated by CU mid-way through the 2nd set last night. I have to give MSU a lot of credit for the way they responded on the road and pushed that match to a 5th set. If I was a Bear fan I would be pleased that the Lady Bears just didn't rollover and cash it in for the night.
          I agree that MSU made a great (almost) comeback. If CU is the class of the conference, then MSU is in fine shape. If CU is the fourth best team in the MVC (as the preseason poll predicted and by a wide margin (in terms of the votes)), then MSU is in trouble. We will learn more today.
          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

When does WSU@CU begin? (Yes, I'm lazy. I just got back from soccer practice and I'm tired.)

Comment

6pm CDT. Early start.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                6pm CDT. Early start.
                Pregame show at 5:45 pm.

Comment

I agree that MSU made a great (almost) comeback. If CU is the class of the conference, then MSU is in fine shape. If CU is the fourth best team in the MVC (as the preseason poll predicted and by a wide margin (in terms of the votes)), then MSU is in trouble. We will learn more today.
                  How can you possibly determine anything after 1 or even 2 volleyball matches? MSU is in no more trouble than if WSU were to lose today. Do you think CU is the 4th best team in the Valley? Do you really value volleyball preseason polls that greatly?

So if WSU loses today, are they "in trouble"?

These games are important. But to start deciding how the conference is gonna shake up after 1/9 of the schedule has been played is pretty far-fetched and foolish.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

WOW: Arkansas State beats North Iowa in 3-1 and UNI got thumped other than a 18-2 run to take the 2nd set. Seems like a shocker. What in hades is going on with Northern Iowa?? Have they had injuries like LB? Arkansas State did well in the SunBelt last year, good performance to take down UNI.
                    Before the season the LB-UNI match seemed like it might be a battle of top 15 teams, now it's a survival match for both teams.
                    Interesting Tournament: Northern Illinois, last years MAC champion, so-so record. Northern Iowa - not a typical fast start with 4 losses, out of the ranking for 1st time in awhile. Perf

Comments like " But to start deciding how the conference is gonna shake up after 1/9 of the schedule has been played is pretty far-fetched and foolish." ignore the fact that MSU, UNI, SIU, CU etc. played nonconference matches and the results of this OOC play needs to be taken into account. It is "far-fetched and foolish" to pretend that the season started yesterday with MVC matches.

Comment

SIU just swept Illinois State. Are you completely certain MSU is better than SIU?

Comment

http://volleytalk.proboards.com/inde...y&thread=45834

Comments like " But to start deciding how the conference is gonna shake up after 1/9 of the schedule has been played is pretty far-fetched and foolish." ignore the fact that MSU, UNI, SIU, CU etc. played nonconference matches and the results of this OOC play needs to be taken into account. It is "far-fetched and foolish" to pretend that the season started yesterday with MVC matches.
                        1/18 of the valley season haha
                        First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

SIU just swept Illinois State. Are you completely certain MSU is better than SIU?
                          How could I possibly be certain of that? However, if I was forced to place a bet between the two teams right now I would still go with MSU. Maybe once SIU starts playing some quality teams one can get a better feel for how they will stack up against the top 4 teams in the Valley.

I'll let you know for sure in late November if the Salukis are for real or not.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 15, 2012, 06:02 PM.

Comment

I think most people will continue to dismiss SIU because of their history. I don't know how good SIU will turn out to be but I'm not going to predict that they are terrible and I am going to consider the possibility that they could have a decent team. As you say, time will tell. Suppose, however, that MSU was to lose to Drake tonight; would you really need to wait until "late November" to rank MSU?

Comment

Nobody has said or even implied that SIU is terrible. They simply are unproven due to having played a relatively weak schedule to date. We'll get see the Salukis next Saturday so we will have a better feel for what thay have this year. I'm not losing any sleep over the Salukis one way or the other. If we lose to them next Saturday then I might lose a little sleep.

Comment

Shocks need to clean it up a little. One thing that made UNI so tough over the last few years was that they rarely beat themselves. They made you beat them. Sounds like Creighton may have that kind of team this year.

The Shocks on the other hand have been somewhat prone to hurting themselves with various and sundry unforced errors.

Sounds like the Shocks are competing pretty well though.

Comment

Working...
                                X