No announcement yet.

2023-24 Volleyball Transfer Portal News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My understanding (and I admit I don't know for a fact) is that she is leaving on her own by choice.

Certainly a graduate degree in her field (assuming at a "better" school than the program WSU offers) is a valuable asset. I wish her the best and thank her for her time here.

Comment

Hate to see Natalie go. She is a terrific player and will leave a big hole to fill. But that was going to happen at the end of next season anyway. With volleyball players their educational aspirations play a much bigger role than in football or men's basketball. And Natalie may also want to play for a P-5 that probably has a better shot at making the NCAA Tournament like Georgia Civita did. I would expect she would attract some nice opportunities. Hopefully, she makes a good deal education-wise, like Kayce Litzau did, but has a much better volleyball experience for her final year of eligibility then Kayce has had.

Glad we had her for the full 4 years of her undergraduate years, I thank her for her outstanding contributions to Shocker volleyball, and I wish her the best of luck in all her future endeavors. One of my favorite Shockers over the past 4 years.

And yes it would have been nice to for her to have been honored on senior night. At least she gets to go out on a high note with the NIVC Championship on her resume as part of her Legacy.

I would guess that Maddie Wilson is the most likely candidate to step in at Natalie's slot next year unless Lambo can pull a high quality middle out of the portal. I don't know too much about what the prospects are for the two redshirt freshman middles, 6-3 Haley Wolfe and 6-2 Allie Paulsen. I guess we will found out more about that this spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Critter's Pa View Post

Yet? I mean, it's been 2 whole hours between when the post was made on X and your post.

You seem to be glad, perhaps giddy, that one of our better players is leaving. That's a shame.

Scholarship is probably the reason she hit the portal. Frosty is/will be a graduate student. This is her fourth year with the program and I bet there is no scholarship here for her unfortunately. Wish we could have given her a senior day sendoff. In a non-Covid world, this would have been her senior year. Will miss seeing her play and wish her the best wherever she lands (unless it's an AAC team). Maybe she can get a deal like Kayce did.
        Giddy is too far.

Glad it was a quick reminder of what really good D1 athletes are looking for. Yes.

Nowdays, NIL money and/or the chance to compete with the best motivate D1 athletes.

Sadly, academics is in most cases not first, second, or even third on the list. money, location, competition in some order and then academics?

Even if everyone on this board except me thinks playing 5 NIVC games is better than 1 NCAA game, I doubt too many really good D1 volleyball players agree with you.

No matter how many Taylor Eldridge fluff pieces are run in the Eagle, Brylee Kelly did not come here to win the NIVC championship. That is not what she told Lambo. She came here to win the AAC championship and compete in the NCAA tournament.

If this was a planned event, Natalie should have been given a senior night. If she waited until now to spring it on Chris, why? If Chris is pushing Frosty out to save a scholarship, too bad he wasted a scholarship on 6th year senior Brylee Kelly this year. Who’s coming in this year to push Natalie Foster out of a scholarship?

If you truly watch volleyball and not just watch for Shocker wins, the NIVC was as a whole, mediocre volleyball. Excluding Drake/WSU, that was entertaining!!

The gap in level of play in the NCAA v NIVC tournaments is large.

It was sad to read WSU volleyball “fans” on this board talking about how 5 games in the consolation bracket is better than 1 game in the winners bracket.

You play to win the game!

We should want players in the program who want to compete on the varsity court, not dominate the JV court.
        Last edited by jimshocker; December 17, 2023, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimshocker View Post

Giddy is too far.

Glad it was a quick reminder of what really good D1 athletes are looking for. Yes.

Nowdays, NIL money and/or the chance to compete with the best motivate D1 athletes.

Sadly, academics is in most cases not first, second, or even third on the list. Money, Location, Competition is some order and then academics?

Even if everyone on this board except me thinks playing 5 NIVC games is better than 1 NCAA game, I doubt too many really good D1 volleyball players agree with you.

No Matter how many Taylor Eldridge fluff pieces are run in the Eagle, Brylee Kelly did not cone here to win the NIVC championship. That is not what she told Lambo. She came here to win the AAC championship and compete in the NCAA tournament.

If this was a planned event, Natalie should have been given a senior night. If she waited until now to spring it on Chris, why? If Chris is pushing Frosty out to save a scholarship, too bad he wasted a scholarship on 6th year senior Brylee Kelly this year. Who’s coming in this year to push Natalie Foster out of a scholarship?

If you truly watch volleyball and not just watch for Shocker wins, the NIVC was as a whole, mediocre volleyball. Excluding Drake/WSU, that was entertaining!!

The gap in level of play in the NCAA v NIVC tournaments is large.

It was sad to read WSU volleyball “fans” on this board talking about how 5 games in the consolation bracket is better than 1 game in the winners bracket.

We should want players in the program who want to compete on the varsity court, not dominate the JV court.
          Jim, whatever it is that's in your teeth, let it go. For your own good, and I don't mean that pejoratively, I mean that in your own spirit and well being. You are carrying a personal grudge against someone that is allowing you to go down a path of self destruction for absolutely zero benefit. Let it go.

I'm not going through your points one at a time. But I will say this...your point about academics being 4th in priority might be (I'll concede even probably is) correct for men's basketball and football. Beyond that? Wrong. Certainly not in volleyball. Are there a few exceptions? Of course. And I don't discount that a few programs might even be in a few bidding wars for talent, but those are few and very far between and WSU is NEVER going to be involved in that, nor should they. To expect them to be is beyond naïve.

Comment

Yet? I mean, it's been 2 whole hours between when the post was made on X and your post.

You seem to be glad, perhaps giddy, that one of our better players is leaving. That's a shame.

Scholarship is probably the reason she hit the portal. Frosty is/will be a graduate student. This is her fourth year with the program and I bet there is no scholarship here for her unfortunately. Wish we could have given her a senior day sendoff. In a non-Covid world, this would have been her senior year. Will miss seeing her play and wish her the best wherever she lands (unless it's an AAC team). Maybe she can get a deal like Kayce did.
            Was that an AD decision on the Senior Day? Surely not internal to Volleyball program.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Jim, whatever it is that's in your teeth, let it go. For your own good, and I don't mean that pejoratively, I mean that in your own spirit and well being. You are carrying a personal grudge against someone that is allowing you to go down a path of self destruction for absolutely zero benefit. Let it go.

I'm not going through your points one at a time. But I will say this...your point about academics being 4th in priority might be (I'll concede even probably is) correct for men's basketball and football. Beyond that? Wrong. Certainly not in volleyball. Are there a few exceptions? Of course. And I don't discount that a few programs might even be in a few bidding wars for talent, but those are few and very far between and WSU is NEVER going to be involved in that, nor should they. To expect them to be is beyond naïve.
              Dude, I’m good. My mental health is good. This volleyball message board thing is fun.

Where do you rank academics? Each year more and more volleyball players enter the portal. Hundreds. Are you telling me hundreds of volleyball players are changing the school they attend because of #1 academics? That seems beyond naive.

Volleyball players are being talked to about NIL preparation in 7th grade through club volleyball. Oh and keep your grades up too kid! Don’t be naive.

Mental health concerns should arise from doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

The excuses for WSU Volleyball not making the NCAA tournament are in a circular loop. 1972 even threw out an excuse this year regarding women’s basketball that he himself debunked on the same thread over a year ago. The excuses are repeating themselves. The results are repeating themselves.

I wonder what the roster is going to look like next year. Or in two years when Strand and Stout are both gone. This year was a shot at the NCAA with the upperclassman and transfers.

No freshman contributor of consequence.

The AAC is there for the taking with SMU gone. How long before WSU wins it?

Do you want to see Lambo bring in more transfers and take a shot at the AAC championship next year. Or, focus on getting younger next year for a sustainable run 2-3 years from now.

Does Chris deserve the chance for another 4 year recruiting cycle?

Comment

Agree with me? My opinion is more volleyball = good. I don't know if they would agree with that or not, you'd have to ask around to find out.

They did play to win the game. In fact, they won 5 post season matches and brought home a NIVC championship.

Seems like you are upset that they played in the NIVC tournament. You act like the school turned down an NCAA spot to play in the NIVC. They didn't. You do know that right?

Are you against an NIVC championship or are you against any kind of success the Shocker volleyball team may have? I can't tell which you are dumping on more.

They took up the NIVC's invite. They played the games in front of them. They won those games. Instead of celebrating their accomplishment, you are dumping on them. That is what is sad.

Comment

Agree with me? My opinion is more volleyball = good. I don't know if they would agree with that or not, you'd have to ask around to find out.

They did play to win the game. In fact, they won 5 post season matches and brought home a NIVC championship.

Seems like you are upset that they played in the NIVC tournament. You act like the school turned down an NCAA spot to play in the NIVC. They didn't. You do know that right?

Are you against an NIVC championship or are you against any kind of success the Shocker volleyball team may have? I can't tell which you are dumping on more.

They took up the NIVC's invite. They played the games in front of them. They won those games. Instead of celebrating their accomplishment, you are dumping on them. That is what is sad.
                  Sic'em Pa!

Comment

Shouldn’t college volleyball referees abstain from message boards of the teams they referee? Sounds like an ethical violation, especially if when there is disdain for one of the team’s coaches.

Comment

Not against success.

Read my posts from months ago.

Going back to the flame out in the NIVC last season. The NCAA tournament was the goal. It was the teams goal. It was the running consensus on this board.

I asked then, if the team misses its goal of the NCAA AGAIN, will the NIVC bid be seen as some sort of success?

Nobody responded directly then, Most did seem to think NCAA should be reasonable.

The answer has come forward now, with yes, any sort of postseason is acceptable. In fact winning the NIVC is now, if I’m understanding some posters, actually preferred to an NCAA bid. Which in turn also means no Conference Championship for the team.

Thats fine, like the UTEP announcer said, WSU is a successful Mid Major program. UTEP even aspires to be WSU.

However, look at what UTEP brought to the table as far as fans go. They already have surpassed WSU as far as a Mid Major goes. The excitement in that community is what Wichita once was for WSU volleyball.

Look at the attendance in Koch for volleyball. I’d be surprised if WSU hosts too many more NIVC matches if they cannot pull 1k tickets.

When it’s paid butts in the seats recorded for attendance, (NIVC) and not WSU sponsored seats blocks (regular season), nobody is showing up.

Who is responsible for community involvement and excitement in the volleyball program. Thousands used to care about WSU volleyball, BEFORE volleyball became the National spectacle it is. Now, even with volleyball exploding, WSU volleyball is fading away in our community.

Not my opinion. Actual facts recorded in the box scores.

Why?

Im not against success. I’m wondering what “success” is for WSU volleyball.

Comment

I am not remotely knowledgeable enough to have an opinion but it was a really solid season to me. Winning a postseason tourney is always a good thing, and I will never be expecting the tourney every year in a non basketball/baseball sport.
                        Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Going back to the flame out in the NIVC last season. The NCAA tournament was the goal. It was the teams goal. It was the running consensus on this board.

I asked then, if the team misses its goal of the NCAA AGAIN, will the NIVC bid be seen as some sort of success?

Nobody responded directly then, Most did seem to think NCAA should be reasonable.

The answer has come forward now, with yes, any sort of postseason is acceptable. In fact winning the NIVC is now, if I’m understanding some posters, actually preferred to an NCAA bid. Which in turn also means no Conference Championship for the team.
                          Did WSU turn down an NCAA bid? It seems like you think they did. They did not turn down a spot. I bet very few, if any, teams have turned down an NCAA spot. I don't understand why you act like they had a choice on playing in the NCAA or not. They didn't get selected. That's a bummer, especially because the Shockers were better than several teams in the NCAA tournament. WSU did the next best thing and accepted the invitation to play in the NIVC.

Why do you think they should have turned down the invite to play in the NIVC? Is it because they would have laid an egg like last year, or is it because they might win a NIVC championship? Either way, it is an opportunity for the team to play more volleyball. You'll never win if you don't try. Why don't you want them to try? Is it because they might have success?

I don't recall anyone here being happy about the team missing the NCAA. I don't know why anyone would happy about that.

I don't recall anyone, except for one, being unhappy about winning an NIVC championship. I don't know why someone would be unhappy about that, but here we are.

Comment

Did WSU turn down an NCAA bid? It seems like you think they did. They did not turn down a spot. I bet very few, if any, teams have turned down an NCAA spot. I don't understand why you act like they had a choice on playing in the NCAA or not. They didn't get selected. That's a bummer, especially because the Shockers were better than several teams in the NCAA tournament. WSU did the next best thing and accepted the invitation to play in the NIVC.

Why do you think they should have turned down the invite to play in the NIVC? Is it because they would have laid an egg like last year, or is it because they might win a NIVC championship? Either way, it is an opportunity for the team to play more volleyball. You'll never win if you don't try. Why don't you want them to try? Is it because they might have success?

I don't recall anyone here being happy about the team missing the NCAA. I don't know why anyone would happy about that.

I don't recall anyone, except for one, being unhappy about winning an NIVC championship. I don't know why someone would be unhappy about that, but here we are.

Missing the point.

Winning the NIVC was a GOOD thing this season. Not the goal. The goal was to win the AAC and get an NCAA bid.

You are correct, WSU did not turn down an NCAA bid. They did not earn a bid due to their play in the non conference portion of the schedule.

There WERE posters the other day debating an NCAA 1 and done vs an NIVC championship. Majority felt an NIVC championship over NCAA 1 and done was preferable.

My point is, ANY NIVC bid from here forward means WSU failed to win the AAC conference championship. And withouts SMU, WSU should be the #1 program in the conference. I believe had Lambo not continued to force an injured player into the lineup, WSU may have won the conference THIS season.

My point is how many more seasons do we enter with the majority feeling an NCAA bid is not only the goal but attainable. And then fail at that goal and celebrate a consolation prize.

An article was written and posted here about Brylee Kelly fulfilling her promise to deliver a “championship” to WSU. I promise you 6 years ago when Brylee Kelly said “championship” it was not the NIVC “championship”. It was the AAC championship she was talking about. But, alas, Taylor wrote the fluff piece to make it seem like a promise fulfilled.

Again moving the goal post from a failed promise, to make it seem like a successful part of Lambos plan.

Natalie Foster entering the portal should also be an eye opener.

Why did she not get a senior day if this was planned? Seems like the kid should have gotten a rousing senior day send off.

Why is she not coming back to WSU to form a lethal middle combo and dominate the AAC again?

I guess because she can find a better academic fit somewhere else?

I believe it’s because she can take a better deal at a program that has NCAA goals, and can attain them. Because at the end of a fantastic NCAA volleyball career, she wants to actually play in an NCAA tournament. Thus, no matter how much WSU volleyball “fans” love watching them win consolation games, the players themselves, no it’s not the Big Show.

Don’t get me wrong, If the team is in the NIVC, the team should win the NIVC. If the team wins the NIVC, congratulations!

However, if the recruiting pitch to come to WSU is winning the NIVC, my guess is we will see less and less talent sign up.

Less and less talent makes the product less entertaining. Less entertaining product means less and less butts in the seats.

Again, not my option. It is actual facts.

WSU has less talent than they did 6 years ago.
                            WSU has not made the NCAA tournament due to that lack of talent.
                            WSU tickets sales are in a 6 year decline that started BEFORE COVID.
                            WSU has had SEVERAL players transfer during this time and play in NCAA tournaments for other programs.

My concern is fans beginning to think the NIVC is the goal for WSU. The NIVC is not the goal.

The NIVC should be a step along the way to to achieving the goal of the NCAA. Winning the NIVC one year should be a spring board to the NCAA the next season.

What does winning it this year do to spring board next year? Who gained experience this year that can draw from it next year? Will winning the NIVC this year lead this team to the NCAA next year?

Do fans on this board even care about the NCAA anymore? Or are they resigned to the fact that WINNING the NIVC is the new ceiling for WSU volleyball.

6 years from now, if UTEP is still playing for NIVC championships, will 5k still show up to watch? Or, 6 years from now will UTEP draw less than 1k to home events because the excitement is gone.

If UTEP is truly striving to be WSU as their announcer says they need to be careful. WSU once had a rousing fan base that showed up nightly and cheered and celebrated the program.

And then WSU stopped making the Big Show.
                            And then WSU players started transferring.
                            And then WSU fans stopped coming.
                            And then the excitement in the community died.
                            And then WSU became the NIVC champions, but nobody cared to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                              Shouldn’t college volleyball referees abstain from message boards of the teams they referee? Sounds like an ethical violation, especially if when there is disdain for one of the team’s coaches.
                              I disagree. They should abstain from reffing volleyball. However, that would require some level of maturity and integrity by such a person.

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X