2023 NIVC Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

To me, in terms of a "this season only" goal, the NCAAs are always preferred. But in terms of longer development, I can see how a deep run in a secondary tournament can be beneficial as well for those players who will return. We saw this with the basketball team in the early 10s.
    I agree the season goal would be to get to the NCAA Tournament but for it to be better than a 5 match run to the NIVC Title I think you need to win at least 1 match in the NCAA Tournament.

Now financially, I am not sure which would be better. Shocker fans weren't sold on the NIVC this year as our attendance was not that great. How NCAA credits for volleyball work I do not know.

I am not sure this will be the springboard it was for the basketball team. Maybe, if Emerson and Ba can build off this experience and their level of play in the championship game. Replacing Sophia will be tough. But if we continue to struggle to score on the pins it will be tough to make it to the NCAA's despite our strength in the middle.

But as far as this season goes it was a good one.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 14, 2023, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
      Is this better than going 0-1 in the NCAA tournament? Like to hear both sides of argument.
      I have no idea how this translates to volleyball or the current state of college basketball, but I used to say that I absolutely would take an NIT title over a 1-and-done in the NCAA Tournament, especially if loss takes place in Dayton.

Probably the hardest loss I remember was VCU in 2012. I hated life that night and never ever ever wanted to watch another sporting event in my life. Fortunately, that feeling subsided within a few days. But being told to get the hell out is such a lousy feeling.

Nobody ever goes into the NCAA with the mindset of losing the first game. Once you are there, you always have a chance. That's all you can ask for. But in a theoretical world where you are told that you will be in NCAA but WILL DEFINITELY lose the first game, I'd rather finish the season by winning all the games in the secondary tournament.
      78-65

Comment

• I would take the NIVC run.

In the NCAAs, you can play the best you have ever played, and you still know you are likely to win one game at best.

In the NIVC. if you stay focused and composed, you can win the whole thing. You hope that mindset can be carried over to the next season.

But I am not advocating turning down an NCAA bid. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
          I would take the NIVC run.

In the NCAAs, you can play the best you have ever played, and you still know you are likely to win one game at best.

In the NIVC. if you stay focused and composed, you can win the whole thing. You hope that mindset can be carried over to the next season.

But I am not advocating turning down an NCAA bid. :)
          Careful, you are stirring the pot.

Comment

• I guarantee you I would rather have a WNIT championship than get beat 113-45 by UCONN in the first round.

Comment

Careful, you are stirring the pot.
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Comment

Is this better than going 0-1 in the NCAA tournament? Like to hear both sides of argument.
                    Depends on how you look at it.

If you want to get the attention of young volleyball players looking at places they might want to go play, winning the NIVC will do that better than one and done in the NCAA.

If you want to get the consideration of future selection committees, I think a NIVC championship will carry more weight than 0-1 in the NCAA. Going 1-1 vs an NIVC title might be a wash.

From the player's perspective, I would think that being selected to be in the NCAA field would be better than not, but if they don't get in, playing potentially five more game for a NIVC championship would be great. Either way, more volleyball = good.

From my own perspective, I got to attend 5 (including Tulsa v UMKC) more volleyball games this year. Had the Shockers snuck into the NCAA, they would be playing in either Texas or Nebraska's pod and it would be very unlikely they would win 2 games and it would be unlikely I would travel to attend.

From a budget perspective, Playing 4 NIVC home games with only 1 away game is probably cheaper for the program than traveling to an NCAA site, where I assume they would have to reserve multiple nights in a hotel because they might win.

All things considered, I think we got more bang for our buck winning the NIVC than 0-1 in the NCAA this year. NCAA should always be the goal, but having the NIVC for schools that miss is a good thing for the players and the sport.

Comment

Working...
                    X