NIU Invitational - Season Opening Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Don't really have a clue how the Shocks will do this year, but that was a very entertaining volleyball match.

One of the very best 5th sets I have seen. 22-20.

As @WuDrWu stated both teams were absolutely giving everything they had after already playing 4 tough sets over 2 hours.
    Probably '72, myself and those there in person were the only ones watching, but you had to see it to believe it...both teams sprinting into the dead spots, bleachers, where ever, just to try and get a hand on a ball...there was no giving up until the ball was down. Nobody watched it sail away....it was a gutty effort by both teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      By the way, our passing right now is atrocious....I lost count of the number of times Feekin was in a full sprint to get to a point to dive and try to set not just someone, but anyone. She ran more today than Hoop did all last year.

And that's IGNORING the 37 overpasses that usually resulted in quick kills against us.
      I think Jackie has actually been pretty good (although nor more comparisons to Kelly B. please).

Doesn't look like we are going to win the serve & pass game very much this year, but it's early and outside of Jackie we are very inexperienced at DS. Could be these young ladies are just pressing a bit at this point.

Comment

• I am sure dinner will taste oh so much better tonight for our Lady Shocks.

Now the question is where do we go from here. Are we the milktoast group that went into the fetal postion in Set 4 against New Mexico State losing that set after leading 20-14 or are we the warriors that just refused to lose in today's 4th and 5th sets.

Again, my guess is this team may treat us to a lot of highs and lows this year. Hopefully, more highs than lows.

Comment

• The Shocks actually fought off 7 match points in today's 5th set.

At 12-14, 13-14, 14-15, 15-16, 16-17, 17-18 and 18-19.

Yes, the Shocks were very fortunate to win, but you won't see 7 match points fought off very often in Volleyball especially in the rally scoring era.

Comment

• The Church Lady better ice those forearms. 31 digs for Jackie today. A career high.

Comment

• Boy, how tough will it be for NIU to come back from that draining 5-set loss to the Shocks to face a good NMS Aggies team at 7:00pm this evening.

I'm pulling for the Lady Huskies but that is a lot to ask.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Boy, how tough will it be for NIU to come back from that draining 5-set loss to the Shocks to face a good NMS Aggies team at 7:00pm this evening.

I'm pulling for the Lady Huskies but that is a lot to ask.
                Not tough at all in set 1 as the Huskies rolled to a 25-14 win but the Aggies stormed back in set 2, 25-19 and are steamrolling the Huskies again in set 3 (so far) 11-3.

Comment

• 25-16 Aggies in the 3rd and they lead 2-1.

Comment

• NIU seemed to get just gradually weaker and weaker after winning the first set losing 19, 16, 10 after that.

Comment

• In the postgame, Lambo said that the fourth and fifth sets were a new, made-up-on-the-fly rotation. I think he mentioned specifically that Ashley and Sam were playing positions they had not played (practiced?) before. He also mentioned that if you had four or five good practices during the week, you were going to play on the weekend, taking off a redshirt if necessary.

Comment

• Solid Set 1 for the Shocks as they were pretty steady in putting away a 25-18 win over North Dakota State.

North Dakota State lost to both New Mexico State and Northern Illinois but were very competitive.

Ashley and Elizabeth doing most of the damage in the middle.

Comment

• I expected a lot out of our middle this year for the offense. Of course you need solid passing for that to occur, but for today at least it sounds like we're showing off the offense we're capable of.

Comment

• Shocks with another steady win as they take Set 2 by a score of 25-16.

Ashley and Elizabeth continue to play very well in the middle. Emily playing pretty well today.

Katie Reilly seems to be the freshman that is most ready to play.

Jordan Hinkle still having some issues with overpasses.

All-in-all though the Shocks looking more in control today. One thing they have avoided is allowing NDS any long scoring runs which was a problem in their 1st two matches.

Let's keep it going Shocks and end this in 3 and not let NDS gain any confidence.

Comment

• Chelsey playing well but she is sure struggling to get her serves in play consistently.

Comment

• Shocks jumped out to a 12-6 lead but had to grind over the final half of the set but they did pull out a 25-23 win to complete the sweep and finish the tournament at 2-1.

I believe this was the only sweep in the tournament.

By far the Shocks best serving match with 6 aces and 5 service errors.

Lambo said he is still at Disneyland and all the rides are open.
                                Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 26, 2012, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X