NIU Invitational - Season Opening Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NIU Invitational - Season Opening Weekend

The Shocks open the season at the Northern Illinois University Invitational in DeKalb, IL.

The Shocks open with New Mexico State at 5:00 pm on Friday, August 24th. The Aggies finished in a tie for 2nd with Idaho behind Hawaii in the WAC last year. They did receive an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament and lost 1-3 in the 1st round to Colorado State.

They graduated 5 seniors from last year's squad including their #1 and #2 setters, their Libero and 2 of their top 5 attackers and their top 2 blockers.

The Aggies do return 3 of their top 5 attackers including 5'11" So. OH Meridith Hays who averaged 4.42 kills per set last year although her attack % was only .197. Hays is the preseason pick for WAC POY this year (however, Hawaii is no longer in the WAC). Stephanie Ziegler, a relatively short RJr. OH at 5'8" averaged 2.17 kills per set but only hit .138. Desiree Scott, a 6'2" Jr. OH averaged 1.46 kills per set while hitting .275. 6'0" RFr. OH Bradley Nash did average 2.67 kills per set last year but only played 3 sets and was apparently injured and received a medical redshirt.

The Aggies have only 1 senior on this year's roster, Madison Hardy a 5'7" Sr. DS who looks to have transferred from Hawaii-Pacific. Not sure who will they will have at the Setter, Libero and DS positions but whoever it is will not be very exprerienced.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 23, 2012, 11:47 AM.

The Shocks 2nd match will be against the host Northern Illinois Huskies at 2:00 pm, Saturday, August 25th.

The Huskies are coming off of a very good 28-7 season and a regular season MAC Championship at 14-2. They lost in the 1st round of the NCAA Tournament to #25 ranked Miami in 4 sets by scores of 17-25, 25-21, 12-25 and 24-26.

The Huskies did lose two key seniors in setter Kristin Hoffman (12.27 assists per set) and 5-10" OH/MB Allison McGlaughlin who was 2nd on the team with 2.86 kills per set. However, the biggest loss was probably the transfer of 6'1" OH Lauren Wicinski who was the MAC POY in both her freshman and sophomore years. Wicinski who lead the Huskies with 5.34 kills per set and 71 service aces has transferred to Michigan State for her final two years.

The Huskies do return 3 starters, their Libero and a total of 11 letterwinners from last year.

Either 5'10" Jr. Kayla Zeno, who played some mop-up duty in 23 matches last year, and 5'9" Fr. Alexis Gonzalez out of Fresno, CA will compete for the starting setter position. In either case, the Huskies appear they will lack experience at the setter position.

5'8" Sr. Amber Walker (3.96 digs per set in 2011) will return at the Libero position. She will be supported on by 5'4" Jr. DS Justine Schepler (2.32 digs per set in 2011).

6'2" Sr. OH/MB Mary Kurisch contributed 2.28 kills per set and lead the team with 109 blocks (0.87 per set) last year.

6'1" Jr. MB Sarah Angelos leads the returning players with 2.49 kills per set and was 2nd in blocks behind Kurisch with 66 (0.53 per set).

6'1" So. OH Mackenzie Roddy (1.63 kills per set) and 6'1" OH Meghan Romo (1.24 kills per set in 52 sets over 23 matches) will also be in the mix.

The Huskies have also added a 6'4" Fr. MB in Lauren Zielinski.

So NIU is similar to New Mexico in that they lost some key players to graduation and defection but they look like they have decent size and they probably return more experience than do the Lobos.

Another team that could bite you if you don't come focused and ready to play.

Comment

The Shocks finish the opening weekend up against the 2012 Summit League regular season and tournament champion North Dakota State Bison on Sunday, August 26th at 11:00 am.

North Dakota State finished 26-9 overall and 16-2 in conference play and made their 3rd trip to the NCAA in the last 4 years losing in the 1st round to #19 Minnesota in straight sets by scores of 17-25, 21-25 and 24-26.

The Bison had 5 seniors on last year's roster, 3 of whom played significant roles. Gone are 5'10" S Jennifer Lopez (10.82 assists per set and 1.11 kills per set), 2nd leading attacker 6'0" MB Chrissy Knuth (2.54 kills per set) and 6'2" MB Janna Deyle (1.72 kills per set). Deyle and Knuth were also 1 - 2 in blocks for the Bison.

The Bison will be lead by 6'3" Sr OH Joki Brynn who appears to be a 6 rotation player based on her stats. She lead the Bison with 3.23 kills per set (although her attack percentage was only 0.179), she lead the team in service aces at 0.29 per set, she had 3.07 digs per set (2nd on the team), contributed 0.65 blocks per set and was the leading scorer for the Bison at 4.04 points per set. It does appear teams do try to serve to her as she had 922 service receptions and she made 73 service reception errors (a 0.921 percentage). The teams Libero had 482 service receptions.

Also returning is 6'0" Sr. MB Megan Lambertson who had 2.83 kills per set and lead the Bison with a 0.410 attack percentage and was 2nd on the team in blocks at 0.74 per set.

5'10" RS So. OH Lauren Cammack contributed 2.59 kills per set last year but with a 0.205 attack percentage.

6'1" RS So. MB Carissa Whelen played in 52 sets and contributed 1.60 kills per set but with a 0.172 attack percentage.

5'8" Sr. Andrea Henning (4.41 digs per set) returns at the Libero position. She is supported by 5'8" Jr. DS Danielle Domback (1.74 digs per set).

The Bison have 2 setters on their roster. 6'0" Sr. Catherine Yager who transferred from Michigan for her final year and 5'10" Emily Riese from Fond du Lac, WI. My guess is they will turn the setting duties over to the senior, although in her 3 years at Michigan she only appeared in 10 matches. So the Bison will also be inexperienced at setter.

Not as big overall as New Mexico or NIU seem to be but Joki could be a load to handle on the outside.

I would expect a scrappy team and another opponent you don't want to go to sleep on.

Comment

Interesting that all 4 teams in the tournament will be breaking in a new starter at the setter position. Whichever setter is most ready to produce the best will go a long way in determining how this tournament goes. I feel pretty good about Chelsey Feekin taking over the reins for the Shocks.

I think this is a good opening weekend for the Shockers. Teams that are beatable but also teams that should put provide a decent level of competition and certainly can not be taken for granted. A seemingly solid set of matches that hopefully will give the Shocks a good challenge in advance of what waits them in Koch Arena the following weekend.

Too bad that New Mexico and NIU each lost a very key player to transfer.

Comment

NIU's preview of this weekend's tournament:

Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

It looks like video is available for all three of the Shocks matches on Huskie All-Access. It looks like a monthly subscription can be had for $6.95. Click on Subscribe in the upper right hand corner.

Go Shocks!
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 22, 2012, 10:02 PM.

Comment

I had made a mistake in my team previews as I had the Shocks playing New Mexico. Of course, they are playing New Mexico State and I have corrected my review accordingly.

New Mexico State is picked to win the WAC this year but that has been made possible by Hawaii moving to the Big West Conference (except football which will play in the Mountain West).

Northern Illinois is picked to finish 4th in the MAC Western Division

North Dakota State is picked to win the Summit League
            ELMHURST, Ill. - After capturing its third championship in four years, two-time defending Summit League Volleyball Champion North Dakota State was selected as the preseason favorite to repeat in a vote of the league's nine head coaches.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 24, 2012, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Today's Match-Day write-up from Paul Suellentrop: http://www.kansas.com/2012/08/23/246...ins-quest.html

If we are going to get to where we want to go we really need to win all 3 of our matches in the Northern Illinois Tournament.

Comment

I'm saying 9-0 this weekend. I think this collection of players has a little bit more of a competitive edge than some recent teams, and we're going to see the fruits of their passion on the court this season.

Comment

I dont' know if we can go 9-0 or not. While these opponents are not top of the line, neither are they bad teams from what I can tell. In any case, we could sure use a confidence building weekend in preparation for what lies ahead at Koch Arena the following weekend. I would love to see a little bit more of a competitve edge with this team. I think that is one intangible that has helped separate UNI from the Shocks in recent years.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 24, 2012, 04:38 PM.

Comment

GT link for New Mexico State match at 5pm Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                      Thanks @flyingMoose:. Also see post #5 above for streaming video. I believe all 3 of our matches can be watched by signing up for a $6.95 monthly subscription.

Comment

The 2012-2013 Shocker sports year is officially underway. I count Mike doing his 1st pre-game show as the official start.

Go Shocks!

Comment

The 1st part of the pre-game show cut out on me but I think Lambo was talking about Sam. I caught a very bried referenced to a stress fracture before they started talking about the Shocks and this tournament.

Lambo says that NMS probably has the most fire power of the teams in the tournament.

Comment

For me, there is no GT. I can find Mike on internet radio only.

Comment

Listening to Mike on the internet. Watch the Huskie video stream. Mike trailing the video by a few seconds though.

Comment

Working...
                              X