Post-Collegiate Adventures of Syd The Kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
    McKinney is a player that for three years would have been in any lineup in the country and an elite hitter for that team to include Oklahoma.

Tuliamek is a very close second.
    Leading the country in both batting Average and hits for two straight years has to be something that is rarely if ever accomplished before.

(though its kinda weird .. and cool .. that CC lead in average this year to make 3 years in a row that a Shocker has lead the NCAA in average)

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

It's one of the reasons why Jim Thorpe is still one of the greatest athletes of all time. Didn't hurt that he was also the greatest football player of his time as well as playing semi-pro baseball amongst other sports.
      Yeah, but what really put him over the top was winning the 1912 intercollegiate ballroom dancing championship.

Comment

The Series 3 draft is in the books and Sydney will be playing for Team Nickles: https://auprosports.com/draft/aux-so...2024-series-3/

Series 2 Schedule is as follows:

Saturday 06/22:
        Team Alo vs Team Mazon at Noon
        Team Nickles vs Team Mazon at 2:30 pm

Sunday 06/23:
        Team Nickles vs Team Alo at 3:00 pm
        Team Mazon vs Team Alo at 5:30 pm

Tuesday 06/25:
        Team Mazon vs Team Nickles at 4:30 pm
        Team Alo vs Team Nickles at 7:00 pm

Games are on ESPN2 or ESPNUā€‹

Comment

Comment

McKinney is a player that for three years would have been in any lineup in the country and an elite hitter for that team to include Oklahoma.

Tuliamek is a very close second.
            Aliphine took 1st in the 2020 Olympic trials. Gotta be Aliphine for now.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

McKinney is the greatest female athlete in the history of this school. Spar with me.
              Kellyn Johnson.

And don't even get me started on Nikki Larch-Miller.

Comment

Tuliamuk is easily the most decorated track athlete, although she didnā€™t win the Olympic Trials until she was seven years out of school, but 11 time track All American and 2 time cross country All American is tough to beat.

Comment

Who is the greatest Shocker Volleyball player of all time?

Comment

Certain team sports, in my opinion, can be very hard to show "greatness", particularly stat wise. I'd say that volleyball may be one of the hardest team sports to determine "greatness". Much of the play is very dependent on everyone else's play. How good or poor was the team an individual played on?

Baseball and softball not near as much. Basketball is similar, but a great individual on an average or worse team still shines brightly.

Track and Field are generally individual achievements.

Then there are the coaches and managers and their impact.

Comment

Would have to be between Sara Walkup (Lungren), Emily Stockman, Chelsey Feekin & Emily Hiebert.

Subjective, no doubt, and depending on what value you place things like post grad work........I'd have to say Emily Stockman, but all of those 4 were generational type players.

Comment

I recall Sara Younes being pretty saltyā€¦ thatā€™s about the time my interest elevated for volleyball.
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Certain team sports, in my opinion, can be very hard to show "greatness", particularly stat wise. I'd say that volleyball may be one of the hardest team sports to determine "greatness". Much of the play is very dependent on everyone else's play. How good or poor was the team an individual played on?

Baseball and softball not near as much. Basketball is similar, but a great individual on an average or worse team still shines brightly.

Track and Field are generally individual achievements.

Then there are the coaches and managers and their impact.
                          Iā€™m talking accolades on a national level and who could be a star at nearly any other school in the country.

Comment

Gonna hedge my answer.

Side-out scoring- Jan Meloy. Never saw her play but would have loved to see Jan (97-00) and Sarah Larson (96-99) play together. Jan is #1 all time in attempts (4746) and kills (1657), and Sarah is #2 in attempts (4550) and #4 in kills (1477). Jan is also #6 all time in digs (1457) and Sarah is #10 (1251). Michele Hallagin (96-99) dished out 4476 assists, good enough for 3rd place all time. I bet this was a fun group to watch. In a five set match against Creighton, Jan had 23 kills and 23 digs, Sarah had 22 kills and 23 digs. 84 kills that game, so it wasn't just those two scoring. Wild.

Rally scoring 30 points- Sara Younes. Her freshman year (2001) was the first year of rally scoring in the NCAA. The first version of the Libero was introduced in 2002. Started playing matches in CKA in 2003. She was either first or second in kills on the team all four years. She is #6 all time in kills. Her 351 aces are 179 aces more than Kori Rosenkranz's 2nd place total of 172. I'm not going to mention she also had 401 service errors. This is one player's record that you are safe to chisel into stone because it isn't coming down. This is a stat that is dominated by the side-out scoring era. Sara Lungren #4 (133) and Melissa Granville #10 (115) are the only other rally scoring era players to crack the top ten. Sarah Younes had 113 aces her Sophomore year. Unreal for rally scoring even with 30 point sets. ā€‹

Current rally scoring- Hands down, it is Emily Stockman. We have had lots of great players throughout the years. Emily's name is plastered all over the record book, and she did it in 3 years (07-09). Add in another slightly below average year for her and she would hold a lot of #1 spots in the WSU record book. She has played professionally both indoor and beach. She was on the USA national team.

We have several players with the name Sara and Sarah (and Emily) on the all time list. Foreshadowing the new setter..?
                            Last edited by Critter's Pa; 5 days ago.

Comment

Team Nickles cruised to a 6-1 win over Team Mazon Saturday afternoon at Wilkins Stadiou. It was a bit surprising the scores was as close as it was as Team Nickles lit up 3 Team Maxon pitchers for 17 hits plus 2 walks, and a hit batter while Team Mazon only managed 4 hits for he game.

Syd was 3-4 plus a walk with 1 run score and 1 RBI. That move Syd up one spot back into 5th place on the AUX Leaderboard.

Comment

They moved her up in the lineup to the 2 hole, finally! Syd delivered. Batting second is the PERFECT spot for her. She handles the bat so well, has a great eye and her softball IQ is outstanding. Nice game and Happy Birthday Syd.
                                Go Shocks!

Comment

Working...
                                X