No announcement yet.

Shocker SB v Kansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After watching the full replay of the KU game I don't think Taylor was replaced by Bailey due to injury. Taylor's strike out the end the bottom of the 5th inning was her 5th strike out in her last 7 at bats after only striking out twice in the 7 games prior to that. I'm thinking the coach's perhaps felt like she was pressing a bit and decided to give her a mental break.

The 5-run 5th inning for the Shocks was won of the cheeziest, the bounces went our way innings you could have. The only ball hit remotely hard was Sami's 2 run single to left center which was basically a wind blown fly ball to the wall but one the centerfielder got her glove on and probably should have caught. The rally started on a 1-out walk to Zoe on a full count on a pitch the could easily have been called a strike. Lolo followed with a cue shot of the very end of the bat that was heading straight at the KU 3rd baseman. As soon as it hit the ground it made a 45 degree right turn towards the shortstop who had no play even on the slow running Lolo. Bailey grounded a ball in the 5-6 hole with the shortstop going for the force at 3rd but a hustling Zoe just did beat the throw. Sami then hit her fly ball to left center producing 2 runs, but since Bailey had to wait to see if the ball would be caught she was only able to advance to 2nd with Sami only getting a single. Lainee then grounded a ball towards the 5-6 hole that pinballed off the glove of the 3rd basemen, then off the leg of a diving shortstop and into shallow left scoring Bailey.. Camryn then decided to try a Lolo trick shot and hit a little spinner to the right of the 1st baseman who was unable to field cleanly on a short hop which reloaded the bases. That was a tough play to make but was scored an error. Syd then decided to get in on the cue shot trickery and hit a weak, low pop up towards 3rd that the 3rd baseman could just not quite catch as it he off the end off then end of her glove, and then she made a hurried wild throw to the plate trying for the force at home. An accurate throw would have gotten Sami at home. Addison then ground deep in the hole with the shortstop making a nice diving stop but Camryn beat her awkward, back handed flip from a prone position trying for the force out at 3rd with Lainee scoring the 5th run of the inning. Lulu then lifted a soft fly ball to shallow left for out #2. Zoe grounded a ball towards the 5-6 hole with the 3rd baseman making a nice play to her left and then just nipping Addison at 2nd for the inning ending force out. Talk about death by a 1,000 cuts this as good an example as you will ever see.

Sami's home run was probably the hardest hit ball of the game. It was a line drive the just cleared the fence and went underneath the scoreboard and it got out in a hurry. I don't think it was helped much by the wind.

Alison was about as good as I have seen her this season. Unlike LaurenH, who seemed to struggle with the command of some of her pitches, Alison was sharp, mixed her pitches well, and seemed a bit quicker than normal. Also Alison did a very nice job fielding her position in this game.

So the 9-3 score on the surface probably makes it sound like a much different game than it really was and a month's worth of good fortune and near misses in favor of the Shocks in the 5th inning were a huge factor. Hopefully, the Shockers haven't used up too much of their season allotment of good fortune.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 23, 2023, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Sami then hit her fly ball to left center producing 2 runs, but since Bailey had to wait to see if the ball would be caught she was only able to advance to 2nd with Sami only getting a single.
      I saw this play on Twitter. This is poor base running. With the ball hit to deep left-center, Bailey needs to be standing on second base. If the ball is caught, she can easily retreat to first. If it is not caught, she can easily reach third.

And yes, the ball should have been caught. Find the fence, find the ball. This is an instance of home-field advantage, having a poor sense of where you are on the field. Conversely, Lauren probably makes this play since this is her home field.

Of course, In both of those situations, it is easy to play the game sitting in front of your computer.

EDIT: Hmm. I went back and looked at Twitter again. It is possible that Bailey *was* standing on second but was unsure whether HCKB would send Lolo home. Possible.
      Last edited by flyingMoose; March 23, 2023, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X