Shocker SB v Kansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB v Kansas

The Shockers end their fifteen-game homestand with a single game against Kansas at 6 pm on Tuesday.

The Jayhawks have a record of 17-11. Two of the losses are by runs-ahead rule to ranked Arizona and Stanford. Other common opponents and opponents from the AAC are Texas State (loss), USF (loss), South Dakota State (loss and win), Tulsa (two wins), and Nebraska (win).

Leading hitters for Kansas are Olivia Bruno (OPS of 1.055 and four homers) and Lyric Moore (1.043 and four homers) with three more Jayhawks with a OPS above .800. Pitchers in number-of-starts order are Kasey Hamilton (11 starts, 65.0 IP, ERA of 3.34 and WHIP of 1.51), Purvis Addison (9 starts, 25.1 IP, 2.49, and 1.62) and Katie Brooks (6 starts, 39.1 IP, 3.34, and 1.53). Both starts and IP are given because those number pairs are "backwards" for Addison and Brooks. Lizzy Ludwig has more innings than Addison and appears to be the designated reliever of the staff.

The Shockers are now 23-6 on the season. The weekend dropped Taylor below 1.000 OPS, but Sydney, Lolo, Lauren, Addison, and Zoe are still there. Zoe and Lolo each have eight homers and Addison has six.

The pitching is Lo (2.08 and 1.04), Alison (3.00 and 1.50), and Alex (1.65 and 0.99).

The poll numbers do not come out until Tuesday morning. Updates here will happen.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; March 20, 2023, 02:16 PM.

Another good crowd will be on hand tonight.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
      Pitchers are Kasey Hamilton (11 starts, 13 appearances, 65.0 IP, ERA of 3.34 and WHIP of 1.51), Purvis Addison (9 starts, 11 appearances, 25.1 IP, 2.49, and 1.62) and Katie Brooks (6 starts, 13 appearances, 39.1 IP, 3.34, and 1.53), and Lizzy Ludwig (1 start, 14 appearances, 29.2 IP, 0.94, 1.27).
      Not exactly sure what you meant by "backwards" but I added the number of appearances and added the stats for Lizzy Ludwig. So clearly Hamilton appears to be their #1 averaging 5 innings per appearance. Addison averages 2.3 inning per appearance and considering most of her appearances have been starts that is not too impressive. Brooks averages 3 innings per appearance but less than half of her appearances have been starts so she would appear to the the #2. As you say Ludwig, who has the most appearances but only 1 start, appears to be used almost exclusively in relief.

Hamiltion is a 5'7" RH, Brooks is a 5'6" RH, Addison is a 5'-4" (in just about every direction) RH and Ludwig is a 6'3" LH.

My guess is we will see the righty Hamilton start with a good chance will see the lefty Ludwig in relief. They might work in Brooks and/or Addison as well as KU doesn't play again until next Tuesday. Of course, the flow of the game can impact those decisions.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 21, 2023, 07:10 PM.

Comment

As noted in another thread, the Shockers are 23/RV.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Not exactly sure what you meant by "backwards"
          "Backwards" was meant to say more starts, but fewer innings (or fewer starts, but more innings). I fussed with how to point that out, but I did not fuss with it long enough. :)

Comment

Kansas at 23 Shockers

Lineup: Most recent lineup with the exception of Camryn at 3B in the nine-hole. Lo is the pitcher with Hamilton pitching for KU. Krystin hurt or just knocking the rust off Camryn?

A two-out homer for the Jayhawks in the first gives them the early lead. Syd reaches on an error. After a forceout leaves Lauren at first with two outs, Zoe walks. Lolo singles to score Lauren and send Zoe to third. No more scoring though. 1-1 after one.

Single and a homer to leadoff the second for Kansas. Maybe we should ask them to wear Razorback uniforms. No need - Alison is on to pitch. Three outs from Alison including a strikeout. 3-1 in the middle of the second.

Sami walks and Lainee follows with a two-run shot. No outs yet. Ludwig, the designated reliever, is on for KU. After two groundouts, Addison walks and steals second. Another groundout ends the inning. 3-3 after two.

Bailey to RF for Taylor. Taylor would have been third up in the bottom of the inning, so this does not appear to be a purely defensive change.

A one-out walk for the Jayhawks but nothing more. Lolo receives the corresponding one-out walk. Also, nothing more. 3-3 after three.

Three up, three down in the top half of the fourth. Syd strokes a two-out single for the Shocks, but Addie flys out. Still 3-3.

A single opens the KU fifth, and a sac bunt moves the runner to second. A foul out and comebacker end the threat. 3-3 in the middle of the fifth.

Multi-tasking soon - updates may be slower.

In the bottom of the fifth with two outs and runners at second and third, Sami singles home two and Lainee singles home another. Two throwing errors create a run. An infield single by Addie scores another. 8-3 Shocks after five.

Two singles but no runs for KU. Sami has a solo homer in the bottom half. 9-3 Shockers after six.

Error and a single but no scoring in the top of the seventh.

Kansas 3-9 Shockers

Alison had six shutout innings in relief to get the win, giving up four hits and a walk.

Only six earned runs for the Shockers. As noted below, the bottom of the order stepped up. Of the eight hits, Sami and Lainee each had two. Both of them had a homer and three RBI. Lolo also had two hits.

Last edited by flyingMoose; March 21, 2023, 09:11 PM.

Comment

KU's defense is imploding this inning. But we'll take it! Bases still loaded, just 1-out. 8-3.

Comment

A little concerned the LaurenH has only last 3 innings, 1 inning and 1 inning in her last 3 starts. Need to get her back on track with a confidence builder.

Comment

Sami Hood with a solo long ball in the 6th. 9-3.

Comment

Can't complain about the back end of the lineup today. Sami and Lainee are a combined. 4-7, plus a walk with 6 runs batted in and 3 runs scored. Me likey a lot.

Solid lunch-pail effort by Allison in relief of Lauren.

Tough opening AAC series at UCF coming up this weekend. Could set the tone for the rest of the AAC season. Shocks need to get 2 of these games.

Comment

Boxscore has an attendance of 848.

That was a semi-quick hook of Lo it seems. Although three runs, including two homers in 1+ innings is not going to impress many people. Two of the three outs were line drives in the infield, but I am not sure how hard they were hit.

Comment

RPI up to 20 this morning. The series @ UCF this weekend looms incredibly large.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          Can't complain about the back end of the lineup today. Sami and Lainee are a combined. 4-7, plus a walk with 6 runs batted in and 3 runs scored. Me likey a lot.

Sami has been coming around and I expect big things from her eventually. The back of the lineup has definitely been better than they were to start the season.

Howell struggled, but I like that we have Cooper and I think Aguilar is going to be pretty solid. If you can't have one flat out dominant pitcher, it's nice to have three or four pretty good ones that can step up.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                            Boxscore has an attendance of 848.

That was a semi-quick hook of Lo it seems. Although three runs, including two homers in 1+ innings is not going to impress many people. Two of the three outs were line drives in the infield, but I am not sure how hard they were hit.
                            The one that Syd snagged at short was not super hard hit but Syd had to make a great leaping, athletic play to catch it. The line drive to Camryn at 3rd was a rocket. Harder hit than the wind blown, back of the fence scraper home run in the left field corner. Also, right before Bruno homered she dropped almost an identical fly ball over the left field wall but just a couple of feet foul. Even the ground ball out to Sami was solidly hit and almost got by her but she was able to knock it down moving to her right, grab it and nip the runner at first. They infield was shallow on that leadoff hitter.

I did not feel like Lauren's command of her pitches were very good. She just wasn't locating her drop very well at all. I am not sure what her arsenal of pitches include her she just seemed to lack command. She just wasn't keeping any of the 6 KU hitters she faced off balance to any degree.

We are going to need her to bet back on track this weekend. Maybe the 90 degree weather in Orlando this weekend will get her going.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 22, 2023, 10:08 AM.

Comment

One thing I am a little concerned about is why Bailey Urban replaced Taylor Sedlacek in right field to start the 3rd inning in a 3-all game. Hopefully, that wasn't due to injury. But I only was able to watch the 1st 2 innings. I will try to catch the rest of the game to see if anything looked odd or was said about that. Maybe she wasn't feeling well.

Comment

Working...
                              X