No announcement yet.

Shocker SB v Arkansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A brain cramp by the Arkansas catcher allows the game ending run rule run to score. Shocks win 10-2. The umps are reviewing the play but I don't think it will be overturned. And it wasn't.

Comment

Hell of a bone head play there. Was probably going to be irrelevant..but still.

Comment

Big win for the Shocks in front of a big crowd. LaurenH has to be on cloud 9 and deserves to be. She was very good in the circle tonight.

Kudos to Arkansas for being willing to go on the road for a non-con game.

Comment

That has to feel good for Lauren. Not only did so deal against her former school (which told her she wasn’t good enough to pitch there), she’s now the undisputed ace of a Top 25 team.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            A brain cramp by the Arkansas catcher allows the game ending run rule run to score. Shocks win 10-2. The umps are reviewing the play but I don't think it will be overturned. And it wasn't.
            What happened? For those of us without the Plus.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

There was a force at home but the catcher was off the plate and tried to make a tag instead
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                That has to feel good for Lauren. Not only did so deal against her former school (which told her she wasn’t good enough to pitch there), she’s now the undisputed ace of a Top 25 team.
                Well, she really wasn't with the staff they had last year. She pitched against us, and we hit her - two batters, Syd tripled and Addie singled, and they brought in Haff, their ace. Now, do they wish they had her this year? Almost certainly. I wish I had been in the post-game line to hear the comments of the Arkansas coach to Lauren. I am very confident those remarks were gracious and complimentary.
                Last edited by flyingMoose; March 14, 2023, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Kudos to Arkansas for being willing to go on the road for a non-con game.
                  This is the same arrangement the Shockers have with Oklahoma, home games in alternating years. Okie State will play us home-and-home each year, and Kansas does the same.

In fact, the Mary Haff I mentioned in another post pitched against us here in her freshman year. It was stinkin' cold! Butters hit a solo homer early in a 1-0 win. So this arrangement has existed for at least five or six years.

These schools are willing to play us because we are good competition, and there is no major RPI hit to them.
                  Last edited by flyingMoose; March 14, 2023, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Shocks up 9-2 in the 6th with the bases loaded and 1 out. Lainee at bat. Zoe on 3rd. Arkansas has the infield pulled in to cut off the game ending run.

Lainee hits an easy grounder right at the shortstop who threw home for the force. Oops the catcher did not have her foot on home plate. It was about 4 inches are so in front of the plate. So no force out and Zoe made a nice head first slide to get in ahead of the ensuing tag attempt.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 14, 2023, 09:45 PM.

Comment

I thought the young woman ump behind the plate tonight, Cheslsea Clark was pretty solid.

Comment

Well, she really wasn't with the staff they had last year. She pitched against us, and we hit her - two batters, Syd tripled and Addie singled, and they brought in Haff, their ace.

EDIT: Here are Lauren's numbers at Arkansas last year: five appearances, 5.0 IP, ERA of 9.80, WHIP of 2.0. For whatever reason, it wasn't working for her in Fayetteville. Not that I am sad about that. :)

Comment

Fun game to watch. Shocker Softball is legit.

Comment

KSN - Wichita State draws big crowd, beats Arkansas in front of a packed house

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – No. 23 Wichita State University (WSU) upset No. 9 Arkansas, winning 10-2 in six innings on Tuesday evening. The energetic Shockers team attracted a sold-out crowd of fans for the game.

“You just want to see how many home runs they can hit and that kind of thing. I mean, they did so well last year, and it’s just fun to come watch,” said WSU fan Kendall Heinrichs.

The team did not disappoint, recording three home runs throughout the game. The team is making a name for itself as one of the best in program history.

“It’s on the rise. It’s high energy. They do it the right way, they schedule the top teams around the country, so it’s a first-class, fun environment,” said Brent Kemnitz, Shockers Assistant A.D. for Outreach and Staff Development.

Kemnitz says NCAA Softball is gaining popularity in the media, with the College World Series’ rising ratings. He says Coach Kristi Bredbenner is leading WSU into the national mix with this team.
                            I just wish a packed house was more than 800ish people. Hopefully the funds get raised to complete the stadium upgrades and expanded seating.

KAKE - No. 23 Wichita State dominates No. 9 Arkansas

WICHITA, Kan. (KAKE) - No. 23 Wichita State hit the 9th-ranked Arkansas Razorbacks with a knockout punch in the first inning on the way to a 10-2 walk-off, run-rule Tuesday night at Wilkins Stadium.

In front of a sellout crowd, Wichita State (20-5) recorded its highest-ranked win since defeating No. 6 Oklahoma State in 2021.

The Shockers scored eight of their 10 runs in the bottom of the first, sending 13 to the plate.

Sydney McKinney was stellar, as usual, going 3-for-4 with a home run, two runs scored, and three RBI. Lauren Lucas was 2-for-3 with a triple, home run and three RBI. Zoe Jones had a pair of singles to go with an RBI and two runs. Lauren Mills had one hit, but it was a two-run home run.

Addison Barnard tripled and Krystin Nelson singled to round out the hits.

The star of the night might have just come from the circle. The Arkansas transfer, Lauren Howell, was dialed in against her former team. She picked up her 10th win of the season behind four strikeouts and allowed only two runs on five hits against a powerful offensive lineup.
                            Nice to see local media giving them some much deserved love.

Eagle - Arkansas transfer beats former team to deliver historic Wichita State softball home win

Lauren Howell admitted Tuesday night began with some nerves facing her former team, a top-10 powerhouse from the SEC, but there was never doubt she wanted the ball.

Her teammates on the Wichita State softball team knew how much the game meant to her after spending two years at Arkansas and never breaking through in the rotation.

Not only did Howell showcase her ability to her former team as the ace of the No. 23-ranked Shockers, but the Wichita State offense smacked three home runs and plated eight runs in the first inning to set the tone of a 10-2 walk-off, run-rule victory over No. 9-ranked Arkansas in front of a sell-out crowd at Wilkins Stadium.

“It does mean a little extra to me,” said Howell, who improved to 10-1 with a 1.77 earned run average this season with the No. 23-ranked Shockers. “I knew my team was going to fight really hard for me, so I had to give it my all. (Arkansas is) obviously a really great hitting team. I played with them, so I know them pretty well. I knew they were going to come out swinging, so I just had to trust my stuff and my team behind me.”

Howell limited a potent Arkansas lineup to just five hits in six innings, striking out four with one walk and two earned runs. In two years at Arkansas, the former top-50 recruit only threw 27-plus innings and only saw five innings last season before transferring.

Her heart was racing after giving up one run in the top of the first inning, but Howell said she was left in awe by what her offense did next.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I just wish a packed house was more than 800ish people. Hopefully the funds get raised to complete the stadium upgrades and expanded seating.
                              I also was curious what "sold-out" was - 847 says the box score.

It will be interesting how many "sold-out" is when OU comes to town.

The Master Plan says the seating will be 1500. That's a bunch - too many, I think. BWDIK.

Comment

I also was curious what "sold-out" was - 847 says the box score.

It will be interesting how many "sold-out" is when OU comes to town.

The Master Plan says the seating will be 1500. That's a bunch - too many, I think. BWDIK.
                                I'd rather have a little too much than to risk stunting the growth of fans and attendance by remaining small. I don't know what the official sold out number is, but I do know they had sold some standing room only tickets for this game.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X