No announcement yet.

SB: 2023 in season news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm putting this here, but it covers multiple sports.

Go Shockers - Shockers Hold 10th Annual Gold Carpet Awards

I didn't know this was a thing. The softball team along with Men's T&F seemed to dominate. The softball winners will be shown below.

Shocker Spirit Award: This award is for a student-athlete who shows relentless support for all Shocker athletic teams and their teammates by always displaying positive energy and enthusiasm.

>>> Madyson Espinosa, Softball

Male and Female Newcomer of the Year: This award is for a male and female newcomer student-athlete that has made a significant athletic impact to their program, garnered individual accolades, and has achieved exceptional athletic success.

>>> Adrian Diaz Lopez, Men's Track and Field
    >>> Lauren Howell, Softball

Male and Female Athlete of the Year Award: This award is for a male and female student-athlete that receives the highest athletic honors and achieves exceptional athletic success.

>>> Brock Rodden, Baseball
    >>> Addison Barnard, Softball

Male and Female Career Athlete Award: This award goes to the male and female student-athlete who has had an extraordinary career for Wichita State Athletics.

>>> Clayton Duchatschek, Men's Track and Field
    >>> Sydney McKinney, Softball

Performance of the Year Award: This award is for the most outstanding individual or team performance from the 2022 Gold Carpet Awards to this year's Gold Carpet Awards.

>>> Addie Barnard breaks the program's all-time home run record of 58 home runs, doing so in just 127 games while it was previously set in 245 games. She has an average of 0.63 home runs per game in 2023 which sets an NCAA mark.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Games through 23 Apr

NFCA Rankings: 19 (from 23)

ESPN.com/USA Softball Rankings: 21 (from 23)

RPI: 21 for the Shockers, 30 for UCF, 60 for USF

Comment

• Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

Something for the volleyball team to aspire to. :)
          To be fair, IMHO, the volleyball team has been there and done that and one could argue the softball program is aspiring to that. Granted the softball team needs to aspire to get back to that. Hopefully, the softball team won't find that sustaining that success as difficult as the volleyball team has experienced in recent years.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            Go Shockers - RH: "I Loved It Here As Soon As I Got Here"

She is a special talent. She's an even better person. Shocker Nation has been truly blessed to watch her grow and become arguably the best player in the nation. I know I don't want it to end. She truly is a joy to watch.
            Good article. But someone should give Paul a math lesson. Going 2-4 isn't going to raise an average to .524. But it will lower it, which is even more impressive!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

To be fair, IMHO, the volleyball team has been there and done that and one could argue the softball program is aspiring to that. Granted the softball team needs to aspire to get back to that. Hopefully, the softball team won't find that sustaining that success as difficult as the volleyball team has experienced in recent years.
              Volleyball's step back is a case study in what happens when you don't strike when the iron is hot. Over the last decade, especially during Lambs best seasons, other regional programs were investing in volleyball facilities while we didn't. We were fortunate enough to keep Lamb but lost pace with other schools, especially those in P6. Thankfully we are ahead of the curve with Softball and have a very ambitious plan. Hopefully we can see it through in a timely fashion to help coach B maintain and grow the program.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

Good article. But someone should give Paul a math lesson. Going 2-4 isn't going to raise an average to .524. But it will lower it, which is even more impressive!
                I saw that, too. English/journalism majors for you. :)

Comment

• A little of Zoe

WSU - Meet a Shocker: Zoe Jones

Hometown

Mustang, Oklahoma
                  Degree

Marketing and finance
                  What made you want to attend Wichita State?

The environment that Shocker softball has created is unlike any other. It feels great being the underdog and proving we can compete with the best in the nation.
                  How are you feeling leading up to graduation?

Excited and bittersweet. I’m so thankful for my time as a Shocker. To end my career here is a feeling like no other.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Go Shockers - RH: Superstitions, Alphabet Games And Groundball Outs Guide Shocker Pitchers

Alex Aguilar is the calmest of the calm on a Wichita State pitching staff that wins with composure, trust, and a goofy spirit.

She is also the leader in superstitions.

"Every superstition in the book," lefty Alison Cooper said.

Aguilar, a freshman with a conference-leading 1.40 earned run average, believes in her ponytail, her rosin bag, a specific bullpen routine before games and a personal bullpen catcher.

"People might think that when I touch my cleats it's a superstition," she said. "But it's not. I just have a blister."

Aguilar's superstitions and her rise as one of the American Athletic Conference's top pitchers is one of many driving forces in the success of No. 19 Wichita State's pitching staff. It is, coach Kristi Bredbenner said, unquestionably the deepest staff in her 12 seasons at Wichita State.

A program famous for power hitters is happy to win with pitching and defense.

Wichita State (40-8, 13-2 American) travels to Tulsa (20-23, 6-6) this weekend for a series beginning Friday (5 p.m.). Two wins clinch at least a share of the conference title for the Shockers and a sweep gives it to them outright.

"The biggest thing is they really complement each other," Bredbenner said. "They've learned they don't need to overpower anybody. We want to make sure we rely on that defense that's doing so well."
                        A nice piece by Sully and some nice recognition for our fantastic pitching staff. We knew better pitching would be key in giving us a better chance this year and we're getting it.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• 2023 Senior Weekend Tribute Videos:

Comment

• Games through 30 Apr

NFCA Rankings: 18 (from 19)

ESPN.com/USA Softball Rankings: 19 (from 21)

RPI: 18 for the Shockers, 31 for UCF

Comment

• This is awesome news. Can't hurt to keep one of the best all time hitters around the program. You can tell certain other players that pay attention to her hitting mechanics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                                This is awesome news. Can't hurt to keep one of the best all time hitters around the program. You can tell certain other players that pay attention to her hitting mechanics.
                                Replay at 4th chaper - 9:32 am

Comment

Working...
                                X