SB: 2023 in season news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
    Is the new outfield and infield going to be artificial turf?
    I believe turf will be installed everywhere but the infield. Foul areas, outfield and warning tracks and such.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Deserved
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• https://goshockers.com/news/2023/6/6...ension.aspx]Go Shockers - Wichita State Inks Bredbenner to Extension[/url]

Wichita State and head softball coach Kristi Bredbenner have agreed to a contract extension that runs through 2028, director of athletics Kevin Saal announced Tuesday morning.

"Coach Bredbenner, her staff and our student-athletes are tremendous representatives of Wichita State University and Shocker Athletics," Saal said. "Shocker softball is committed to developing young people as students, persons, players and professionals. We are thrilled to continue our partnership with Coach Bredbenner and her staff, as we continue our plan to invest in and build Shocker softball."

Bredbenner just completed her 12th season at the helm of the Shocker softball program. She led Wichita State to a 44-12 season and the program's third consecutive NCAA Regional appearance. Five of Wichita State's seven NCAA Regional appearances have come during Bredbenner's tenure.

The 44 wins in 2023 were the second most in school history. Wichita State has three 40-win seasons, two of those coming under Bredbenner's guidance.

"Thank you to Kevin Saal and Dr. Muma for believing in the future of this program," Bredbenner said. "The investment that they are willing to put into the players, facilities and staff to provide a first-class experience is remarkable. Thank you to Shocker Nation for coming out and supporting the Shocker Softball program. I look forward to getting back to work this fall to defend our 2023 American Athletic Conference Championship."

The 2023 campaign also saw Wichita State capture the American Athletic Conference regular season title, the program's second as a member of the American. Three of the four regular season conference championships in program history have also come under Bredbenner.

Under Bredbenner, 49 student-athletes have earned all-conference accolades and 21 NFCA All-Region honors. She has also produced the program's only All-Americans during the last three seasons in Sydney McKinney, Addison Barnard and Lauren Lucas. McKinney just wrapped up the greatest softball career in school history, holding several career and single season records.

McKinney became a three-time NFCA All-American after earning first team honors as a senior.

In her 12 seasons at Wichita State, Bredbenner has put together a career record of 364-264-1. She is the school's all-time winningest coach and is approaching her 700th career win. As a collegiate head coach, Bredbenner has amassed 690 wins in 19 seasons. Prior to Wichita State, she spent six seasons at Emporia State and one at Truman State where she received her first head coaching opportunity.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• This just raises more questions. Did she have some kind of muscle/tendon/joint injury corrected or was this something unrelated to softball such as appendicitis or something like that?

Or did I just miss some information previously reported?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              This just raises more questions. Did she have some kind of muscle/tendon/joint injury corrected or was this something unrelated to softball such as appendicitis or something like that?

Or did I just miss some information previously reported?
              I'm not sure if anything was reported prior to this tweet. Though I'm wondering if because of the circular section on her gown being near her left shoulder if it wasn't some sort of shoulder surgery. She was having arm/shoulder issues early in the season wasn't she? Perhaps it was decided that she couldn't hurt herself more, and it's her non throwing arm, that she could continue to play but was never at 100%. This is pure speculation by me thinking that circular spot may be for some sort of icing/cooling device to help with recovery and swelling post-op.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I'm not sure if anything was reported prior to this tweet. Though I'm wondering if because of the circular section on her gown being near her left shoulder if it wasn't some sort of shoulder surgery. She was having arm/shoulder issues early in the season wasn't she? Perhaps it was decided that she couldn't hurt herself more, and it's her non throwing arm, that she could continue to play but was never at 100%. This is pure speculation by me thinking that circular spot may be for some sort of icing/cooling device to help with recovery and swelling post-op.
                That's a good observation and if accurate might explain the change in her swing setup. Perhaps even impacting her power numbers to some extent.

Comment

• She said she tore her labrum at the beginning of the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

That's a good observation and if accurate might explain the change in her swing setup. Perhaps even impacting her power numbers to some extent.
                    Yea .. that makes more sense. She pulled her stance much more "forward" which would have taken pressure off the left shoulder when starting the swing and allowed the right to do more work.

In hindsight .. the fact that she hit 14 HRs with a torn labrum is pretty insane.

Comment

• Staff update on the Wichita State softball team: Presley Bell is moving on after her second season as the Shocker pitching coach.

Kristi Bredbenner will look for a new pitching coach for the 2024 season. All 3 starters slated to return to WSU after posting 2.55 staff ERA in '23.

Comment

• Bummer. Hoped she'd hang around a bit longer
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Bummer. Hoped she'd hang around a bit longer
                          I asked Taylor Eldridge and he did not have an answer if it washer decision or WSU’s. Wonder what’s next.

Comment

Bummer. Hoped she'd hang around a bit longer
                            Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post

I asked Taylor Eldridge and he did not have an answer if it was her decision or WSU’s. Wonder what’s next.
                            Here is the pitching coach history under HCKB as best I can determine.

2012.2014-Samantha Sheeley

2015-None

2016.2019-Ryne Stefankiewicz (I have a distinct impression that he was asked to leave. But that is an impression, not a known fact.)

2020-Morgan Lashley

2021.2023-Presley Bell (In both 2020 and 2021, Presley was a Grad Assistant. Not until 2022 was she titled as an Assistant Coach.)

So, does that tell us anything?

It tells us the shelf life of an Assistant Coach tends to be short. The average time on the staff for those coaches is about three years. That simply may be the typical career path of an assistant coach for softball.

Didn't HCKB call pitches? Being a catcher in her playing days? For some reason, at least part of the time, I think so, but maybe not. But if so, a pitching coach may want that responsibility to further their own career.

Okay, enough. We can see if Presley shows up on another staff soon.
                            Last edited by flyingMoose; June 12, 2023, 09:11 AM.

Comment

• Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                              X