X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
    Shockers v Creighton

Set One

Sophia is an early sub - one assumes for Katie who appears to be a back row player.
    Correct. That would be Katie Galligan, a 5-9 DS/L out of Omaha.

Comment

Set Four

Same starters as previous set.

5-7 becomes 6-12. TO Shockers. (The one point was on a block solo by Kayce.)

7-17 and Hailey is in to set.

13-25.

For the match,

.121 v .267
      Blocks 6 v 11
      Service 3/7 v 2/9

Sophia 14-3-27 for .407
      Brylee 10-5-40 for .125
      Natalie 6-3-17 for .176
      MorganW 6-7-33 for -.030
      MorganS 4-5-16 for -.067

Two nice sets, two not nice at all sets.
      Last edited by flyingMoose; August 26, 2022, 07:55 PM.

Comment

The wheels have come off in Set 4.

Comment

The 2 middle sets were somewhat encouraging. But the Shocks weren't competitive in Sets 1 and 4. Will the Shocks be able to find the consistency they will need to be successful.

I suppose the high point of the day for the Shocks was the play of Sophia Rohling.

Comment

Although Iowa State was a 3-0 loser to Creighton, they were competitive in all three sets. We will know more after tomorrow's match against the Cyclones?

Comment

Watched the replay of the Wyoming match. Looked like 2 evenly matched teams so not surprised it went 5. Katie Galligan is a nice looking athlete and I think she will get plent of playing time this year. Did some nice things in this match and moves very well. Brylee could just not get anything going.

Will be interesting to see how the Shocks fare agianst Iowa State tomorrow.

Comment

Iowa State 3-1 Wyoming
                (19), 20, 19, 24

Comment

If Wyoming is the 7th best team in the Mountain West then it's a strong volleyball conference.

My info from boots on the ground in Laramie told me that the quick turnaround did us no favors at all. We were gassed after Wyoming then had 3 hours less than CU to recover (not that the outcome would have changed necessarily). Hopefully the ladies can be 100% to start the ISU match. Not sure what to take away from Brylee's slow start. We need her to be on top of her game, no doubt.

I did think our passing was improved from last season. A part of our game that sorely needed upgrading. I also felt like we served tough, and won serve/receive most of the day. Our defense as a whole, I felt, was below par.

Honestly, if Brylee were just a little more effective on the day, things would have been a lot easier, even if the outcome didn't change (1-1).

Creighton is really good, Sis is the real deal, their back row play was considerably better than ours (and they blocked much better too), they play a challenging non-con schedule but still are unlikely to lose more than 3-5 matches all season. Being more than competitive for half the match SHOULD give cause to move forward. Time will tell.

Comment

One of the side benefits of playing Creighton is there is always a comment from HCKBB. See below.

"I think it was a great first day," said Creighton coach Kirsten Bernthal Booth. "Both Iowa State and Wichita are going to win a lot of matches this year. I liked that we had a lot of people contribute. I thought our passing was outstanding today and there's still a whole list of things that we can get better at, so that's a good thing. It was good to notch the W's."
                    Last edited by flyingMoose; August 27, 2022, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      I did think our passing was improved from last season. A part of our game that sorely needed upgrading. I also felt like we served tough, and won serve/receive most of the day. Our defense as a whole, I felt, was below par.
                      I thought that as well Doc, at least based on what I saw in the Wyoming match.

Comment

Shockers v Iowa State

Set One

Starters are: Brylee, Lily, Kayce, Natalie, Lauren, Sophia, Morgan.

4-3 then kills by Sophia, Sophia, Morgan, and a block.

8-3 and a TO by the Cyclones.

17-12 moves to a tie at 17. TO Shocks.

Sideouts and then two in a row for ISU. 20-22.

21-24 and the second Shocker TO.

Morgan is blocked. 21-25.

.158 v .216
                        Last edited by flyingMoose; August 27, 2022, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Set Two

Shocks score the final 4 points to take a 25-21 win in Set 2 and tie the match at 1 set each.

.391 vs .263 for the set. .246 to .240 for the match.

Brylee playing much better today. Sophia continues to play well. Natalie and Lauren are doing okay just not getting a lot of chances. Morgan Weber struggling so far today.

About as even as you can get statistically so far. Sideout % is 60.9 vs 60.9
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 27, 2022, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Set Three

Shocks had a 23-19 point lead when Iowa State ran off 5 in a row to take a the lead at 24-23.

Back to back block by Lauren/Brylee and Lauren/Sophia save a set point and give the Shocks a set point at 25-24

Iowa State scores the next 3 points to win the set. A very tight set for the most part and a very disappointing way to drop a set.

.121 to .163

Brylee and Sophia continue to lead the way. Brylee with 3 services aces in the 3rd set and 4 for the match. Sophia and Lauren leading the blocking game which the Shocks lead 9-7.

Comment

Set Four

Shocks have done a good job betting leads in this match. But not a very good job on maintaining those leads.

The Shocks led 23-20 in set 4 but I Iowa State scores 3 in a row to tie it up at 23 all to force a Lambo time out.

A kill by Sophia gives the Shocks a set point at 24-23. A kill by Natalie gives the Shocks the win at 25-23 to force the 5th and deciding set.

.167 vs .213 in Set 4.

Natalie has come on in Sets 3 and 4 in the scoring column. Iowa State takes the lead in blocks for the match at 14-10 so they had a 7-1 advantage in blocks in Set 4.

Comment

Set Five

Iowa State takes a 3-1 lead but the Shocks run off 5 in a row to make it 6-3.

Shocks lead 8-4 at the changeover. Can they maintain a lead. So far in the match the answer has been no.

So far so good. A Brylee/Natalie block gives the Shocks a 4 point lead at 11-7 with 4 points to get and Iowa State calls time out.

A service ace by Natalie extends the lead to 13-8.

An Iowa State service error give the Shocks 5 match points at 14-9.

Iowa State saves 1 match point with a kill, but a Sophia kill closes it out at 15-10. Shocks win 3-2 in very hard fought and close match.

I was worried the Shocks might be heading home at 0-3 after this weekend so I am quite pleased that they are 2-1 with the loss to a Top 20 team.

Highlight of the match for me was Brylee's play coming back from 2 subpar matches on Friday. Lauren was also better today especially in the blocking game.
                                Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 27, 2022, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X