Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    ... Dugout upgrades ...
    I have no idea exactly what the AAC intends. The dugouts could be 50% bigger, for example. The Visitor's dugout, a stand-alone structure, could readily be torn down and rebuilt. Expanding the Home dugout presents complications due to the trainer's room and whatever else is under those seats between the aisle and the field.

And then maybe the AAC just wants more amenities in the dugouts.

Comment

New batting cages done W of stadium

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
        I have no idea exactly what the AAC intends. The dugouts could be 50% bigger, for example. The Visitor's dugout, a stand-alone structure, could readily be torn down and rebuilt. Expanding the Home dugout presents complications due to the trainer's room and whatever else is under those seats between the aisle and the field.

And then maybe the AAC just wants more amenities in the dugouts.
        I checked. The AAC wants new dugouts, not cosmetic changes to the existing ones. This is just one of several things they want to see before the Shockers are allowed to host if I understood.

Rather than pouring money down a rat hole, they need to build another stadium. You can easily find more things that need changing than you can find that you would want to keep. Seating capacity is not the issue; it's a host of other things.

Comment

We need a new stadium, and for ADKS to reopen the hill to what it was before.

Comment

It sounds like the plan is to build around Wilkins Stadium and I'm fine with that if done right. They have space to work with I believe around the facility and the apparent ability to incorporate Heskett into things. Also probably cheaper than building from scratch, but I could be wrong there.

As to the land on the NW corner of 21st and Hillside, could that potentially be used for a dedicated VB facility? I know that would probably limit parking and force people to cross traffic which may be seen as problematic. I still think a 5K-6K facility designed to maximize the atmosphere for VB could be of great benefit to that program down the road. They could always take away more parking on campus to build it nearer CKA, but I'm not sure if that would be seen as an option or not.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              It sounds like the plan is to build around Wilkins Stadium and I'm fine with that if done right. They have space to work with I believe around the facility and the apparent ability to incorporate Heskett into things. Also probably cheaper than building from scratch, but I could be wrong there.

As to the land on the NW corner of 21st and Hillside, could that potentially be used for a dedicated VB facility? I know that would probably limit parking and force people to cross traffic which may be seen as problematic. I still think a 5K-6K facility designed to maximize the atmosphere for VB could be of great benefit to that program down the road. They could always take away more parking on campus to build it nearer CKA, but I'm not sure if that would be seen as an option or not.
              Hasn't volleyball/ womens basketball arena been brought up before? There is no need to be playing in front of 1500 fans in a 10,500 seat arena. Lots of larger schools do this.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post

Hasn't volleyball/ womens basketball arena been brought up before? There is no need to be playing in front of 1500 fans in a 10,500 seat arena. Lots of larger schools do this.
                That's kind of why I brought it up. I'm not sure how big to make it. I do know VB has, at least in the last couple of decades, drawn better than women's basketball and has at times had over 6K in attendance. I know that's down in recent years, but having it designed for a little growth wouldn't be a bad thing.

Looks like a about 5 years ago volleyball averaged about 3500. When Jody was here, women's basketball was top 50 in attendance at around 2600. I would think a properly designed 5K seat arena would provide a much better atmosphere for both and allow some room for growth. They could always move games to CKA if they felt the need for a particular game to have a larger attendance. I know in the past women's basketball gets close to sell out about once a year when they have a ticket giveaway to local schools. They could still always move a game like that to CKA so more kids could be a part of it. If VB felt they could sell 7K+ or something for a specific match they could relocate as well. But for the most part a 5Kish sized facility I would think would be ideal.

And while we're at it, we still need to add some seating to Wilkins. Turning people away at 700 is shameful.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

New batting cages behind the 3rd base dugout.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 15, 2022, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Not a new stadium, but significant upgrades are coming to Wilkins Stadium and I'm thrilled.

Go Shockers - Wichita State Announces Facility Masterplan for Wilkins Stadium

"Over the last 18 months, Wichita State University has strategically invested significant resources in our softball program, intending to maximize immediate support and compliment the competitive growth our coaches and student-athletes have worked so hard to achieve," said Wichita State Director of Athletics Kevin Saal. "From renewed commitments to Coach Bredbenner and her staff, to new batting cages, lights, future home dugout and synthetic grass surface (to be installed upon conclusion of the 2023 season), we have invested over two-million dollars in our softball program."

The Wilkins Stadium masterplan project will bring state of the art training and playing facilities to Wichita State softball student-athletes and coaches. The renovations include a 12,471 square-foot team complex which includes a locker room, coaches locker room, classroom, team room, athletic training room, staff offices, break room, work room, umpire locker rooms and laundry area. It will also include a 14,400 square-foot indoor practice facility that will feature a full indoor infield and batting cages along with storage areas and viewing areas for coaches. Turf will also be installed in the outfield and on the warning track, foul territory and apron areas at Wilkins Stadium in June of 2023.

Fan amenities include an enclosed concourse with a grand front entrance, berm outfield seating, a new scoreboard with videoboard, expanded seating areas, suites and press box, ticket office, concession stands, additional restrooms, merchandise store, fan netting and outfield suites. There will be a variety of seating options for 1,500 fans including chairback seating, bleacher seating and berm outfield seating as well as a new entryway into the parking lot connected to Wilkins Stadium.

The stadium renovation will also include a field technology area, spaces for the media, radio and TV booths, control room for the videoboard and a multi-use suite that can be used for multiple types of groups including recruiting events, team events, private companies, community members and other large groups.

The single-story team complex will be constructed on the southwest corner of Wilkins Stadium with the indoor practice facility built just north of the team complex.
                    "Since July of 2022, and in parallel with our recent investments, Wichita State University and Shocker Athletics have engaged in a comprehensive facility master planning process for Wilkins Stadium," Saal said. "These efforts provide a definitive plan through which we intend to build a consistent championship-level softball program positioned to maximize student-athlete development, recruitment and retention. In the coming months, we will remain laser-focused on acquiring the resources necessary to fuel our bold and progressive plans for Shocker Softball."

Minimum estimates for the Wilkins Stadium masterplan project currently stand at approximately $17.5 million. GLMV Architecture and facility planners are completing design concepts and planning to build in phases.

Phase 1 of the project would include the softball team facility and the indoor practice facility at $7.3 million, Phase 2 would include the entrance/press box/ticket office and seating areas at $1.9 million, Phase 3 would include the remodeling of existing facilities/seating/fan experience elements at $3.5 million and Phase 4 would include the outfield area/event pavilions and paving at $700,000.

Construction estimates place the total at $13.4 million, with an additional $3.4 million for project soft costs, and $750,000 for the videoboard to put the total project at $17.5 million.
                    Hopefully they can continue to get the funding needed to complete all of this in a timely manner. But I'm stoked at the possibilities and praise Saal for seeing the need and helping give a boost to one of our best, if not the best, programs currently at Wichita State.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Wilkins Stadium Masterplan with renderings. I really like what they're envisioning here.

Virtual Tour
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

That looks amazing. ADKS hard at work

Comment

I'm not sure I ever considered them getting their own indoor facility to use right there.

I do like that they're apparently going to get new administrative facilities and such. I remember there being talk about doing that and incorporating unused space within Heskett to facilitate such a move.

Expanded seating is something many of us discussed. 1500 seems a good number, and nearly doubles what they apparently allow right now. And opening up outfield access would seem to give room for growth upon that number if necessary down the road. I'd have to go back an check, but I'm pretty sure I was saying we needed to expand to the 1200-1500 range. Hopefully down the road we need to grow that some more.

The new entrance area they're looking at looks so good. Give the stadium more of a legit, big time feel when you're walking in from the parking lot.

I'm a nerd for softball but damn this is exciting for WSU and Coach B.

Saw someone on the FB post I first found this on asking what needs to be done to Wilkins and they went to a game last year and thought everything was perfect. Wilkins is nice enough as is, but if we want to be serious about the program and continue to improve, it starts with improving what you're recruiting to and allowing more people to see it in person.

Also, I think these commitments to Shocker Softball help keep Coach B here. I'm not sure what her aspirations may or may not be or how well she's viewed by others around the country, but this shows a commitment from the administration and the fan base that I hope helps lock her in.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I like where ADKS is setting the bar with his vision. Hopefully, we can get their. We need some of the big boys to step up and make this happen.

Comment

This is great, UNLESS it comes at the expense of baseball and basketball.

Comment

This is too large an investment for a program that has very little revenue potential. $7 million for phase 1. $14 million total. Wow. Is this the top priority of the athletic program? Softball hasn’t sold 1000 season tickets at $100 each so I have serious reservations about wide community interest. If the coach can raise the money herself from people who love softball, that would be impressive and reminiscent of what Gene did for baseball, but even that had a down side for the athletic department as a whole because Gene was competing with the rest of the athletic program for donations.

This is a luxury that the athletic department can not afford. The top priority has to be fixing men’s basketball. I would put baseball, volleyball and women’s basketball ahead of softball because the infrastructure is in place for significant revenue gains. I would prioritize Alston funds for all athletes and NIL for revenue sport athletes. Large capital investments for anything that does not help men’s basketball would be very low on my list.

I hope Saal has something in the works that makes my concerns unfounded.
                                Last edited by Shocker82/85; January 24, 2023, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X