2022-23 Softball Offseason/Preseason Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Where are you finding your softball portal information?
    Social Media searches and Google News putting “transfer portal” in quotes next to softball. Also limit the time searched to one month.

I refuse to pay 15.00 month or whatever it is.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Social Media searches and Google News putting “transfer portal” in quotes next to softball. Also limit the time searched to one month.

I refuse to pay 15.00 month or whatever it is.
      Well when you are on a fixed income like you you need to watch those monthly expenses

Comment

Some prominent pitchers in the transfer portal (far from a comprehensive list, just some highly publicized ones):

Alex Storako (Michigan): 25-8, 1.71 era
        Annabelle Widra (Michiga): 2-0, 1.73 era (surprising since innings were opening with Storako leaving, but was the #8 recruit in her class and has 3 years remaining)
        Lexi Kilfoyl (Alabama): 9-3, 2.36 era
        Makenna Kliethermes (Oregon): 11-7, 3.65 era (gave up no earned runs against us in two games in the tournament)
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I'll take Annabelle and call it a day
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Widra also is a good utility player in addition to pitching. That being said, I'm guessing competition for her services is going to be intense.
            Last edited by The Mad Hatter; June 3, 2022, 04:43 PM.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Emily Leavitt (Freshman from Minnesota) has also entered the transfer pool. Her era was just 4.70, but A) against good competition and B) as a freshman. She was ranked between 20-25 in her class, so the talent should be there. She is from California, so it may be that she is looking to head back to the west coast.

Comment

More pitching names in the transfer portal. Obviously I'm not listing (or noticing) everyone and not everyone I'm listing is a clear-cut improvement:

No Brainers:
                • Payton Gottshall (Bowling Green; MAC Pitcher of the Year): posted a 1.87 era in 33 appearances as a freshman with 282 strikeouts; posted a 1.67 era in 43 appearances as a sophomore with 374 strikeouts. I'm guessing her services will be in high demand, but she would be a great addition.
                • Jenny Bressler (UNLV): grad transfer who posted a 1.66 era with 225 strikeouts last year in 49 appearances. Her worst season era was 2.39, so she has been consistent for 4 years.
                Probably Solid Adds:
                • Maren Judisch (Baylor): posted an era of 2.45 in 20 appearances as a sophomore and 2.89 era in 14 appearances as a freshman. Her strikeout numbers would suggest she doesn't necessarily have over-powering stuff, but solid numbers, especially in the Big 12.
                • Jessie Fontes (Arizona): posted a 3.04 era in 16 appearances as a sophomore. Obviously being recruited to Arizona is a good sign for raw talent.
                • Sarah Harness (SIU): had a down junior year after being pre-season all-MVC with an era of 4.03 in 32 appearances, but as a sophomore, posted a 1.77 era in 38 appearances, and as a freshman posted a 1.97 era in 15 appearances, so should could be a strong addition if she returns to her usual form.
                Maybe There's Potential:
                • Gabriella Nori (Lehigh): grad transfer who posted a 3.27 era last year in 29 appearances. 2.47 era as a junior.
                • Mackenzie Osborne and Ivey Rosenberry (Virginia Tech): Osborne posted a 4.88 era as a sophomore and Rosenberry posted a 5.16 era as a sophomore, so not great, but VA Tech is a good program and there might be potential there.
                • Summer Clark (Syracuse) posted a 3.41 era in 18 appearances as a freshman. Not sure that the quality is there against top opponents, but young.
                • Bailey McCachren (Tennessee): posted a 2.40 era in 12 appearances as a freshman and 4.14 era in 18 appearances as a sophomore. Higher era seemed to come with more SEC innings, so not clear that she is the answer, but she is relatively young.

Comment

Harness I think we have a shot at

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                    Some prominent pitchers in the transfer portal (far from a comprehensive list, just some highly publicized ones):

Alex Storako (Michigan): 25-8, 1.71 era
                    Alex to Oklahoma. Rich get richer.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        I like. Kristi digs the long ball!
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Shea O’Leary in portal

Comment

Originally posted by barry1305 View Post
                            Shea O’Leary in portal
                            What happened to her this year?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

What happened to her this year?
                              Just looked like 2 transfers and a freshmen pitched better. She didn’t pitch well early and they stepped in and got the innings. I didn’t hear about any injury, but not sure. If the Shockers can get her and she stays healthy, she could return to her previous form and it would be a great pick up.

Comment

Originally posted by barry1305 View Post

Just looked like 2 transfers and a freshmen pitched better. She didn’t pitch well early and they stepped in and got the innings. I didn’t hear about any injury, but not sure. If the Shockers can get her and she stays healthy, she could return to her previous form and it would be a great pick up.
                                Her mother is a former Shocker catcher, Carrie Brown.

Previous form-

2019: ERA of 0.65, WHIP of 0.78. She and another had about half of the innings of Miranda Elish. Elish came to UT from Oregon with Mike White when he became the HC.
                                2020: 1.97 and 1.03. Again, slightly more than half the innings of Elish. This was a COVID-shortened year.
                                2021: 1.82 and 1.02. She had almost half of the innings on the staff.
                                2022: 6.04 and 1.95. She was expected to the stud on the staff. Not even close. 26.2 innings, about 5% of the staff innings.

She might be interested in the Shockers, but that would be a serious step down from expectations one would think. As mentioned above, it is not clear what the factors are in the year she just had except that others pitched better. When the HC grabs two pitchers out of the portal, that has to shake your confidence.
                                Last edited by flyingMoose; June 21, 2022, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X