Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shockers #24 in extra innings softball poll

Comment

Read in an online article that Addie was 4 HRs and 5 steals away from the "first" 30-30 season. The way it was worded, I took it to mean it was the first in NCAA history. Is this true? Not sure where to find such data. 5 Steals may be asking a bit much with 6 games remaining, but 4 HRs certainly are in range.

Wichita State's Addison Barnard, LMU's Jenna Perez and Presbyterian College's Morgan Hess take home the D1Softball weekly honors.

Comment

Originally posted by eeshocker View Post
        Read in an online article that Addie was 4 HRs and 5 steals away from the "first" 30-30 season. The way it was worded, I took it to mean it was the first in NCAA history. Is this true? Not sure where to find such data. 5 Steals may be asking a bit much with 6 games remaining, but 4 HRs certainly are in range.

https://d1softball.com/d1softball-we...rd-perez-hess/
        I wouldn't be much surprised if she got 4 dingers in one game, the way she gets swinging the bat. 4 HRs are certainly within reach. That 30-30 would be quite a mark to hit!
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

I wouldn't be much surprised if she got 4 dingers in one game, the way she gets swinging the bat. 4 HRs are certainly within reach. That 30-30 would be quite a mark to hit!
          The only problem is that she has to quit hitting HRs in order to get the steals....

Comment

The only problem is that she has to quit hitting HRs in order to get the steals....
            Oof. Duh. So get those 4 dingers in one game, and then hit singles and steal, steal, steal. :)
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

https://d1softball.com/d1softball-we...rd-perez-hess/
              I just spent a lot more time than I should looking up softball records but best as I can see, according to the NCAA website, only 13 times has a player hit 30 home runs in a single season.

Laura Espinoza (Arizona '95) leads the list at 37. Jocelyn Alo (Oklahoma '21) is next at 34. I tried to check all the top HR leaders (there are 10 different names) and the only one I could find close (and I couldn't find all the SB records on various sites) was Megan Baltzell from Longwood who did hit 30 home runs in 2013 but only had 14 stolen bases that season. 2 seasons later, in 2015 (her senior season) she hit 27 home runs and stole either 23 or 24 bases (the Longwood athletics page shows both numbers, depending on which one you believe).

Let's say 24 is right. 27-24 seems to be the best number. According to goshockers.com today, Addie is at 26-25. No promises because stats are hard to find on past players, especially stolen bases but I'd bet those numbers are pretty good. The other home run hitters didn't seem to be base stealers mostly (Alo for instance stole 10 total bases before this season).
              Last edited by WuDrWu; April 26, 2022, 02:44 PM.

Comment

I sure wish I still lived in Wichita to see this team play. We have generational talent on this softball team. Hope the NIL crap doesn't filter down into the softball ranks and pull these players away from Wichita. Hopefully whatever NIL collectives we end up with will come to the plate for them. It's the best thing going in WSU athletics.

Comment

On her coach's radio show last night HCKB discussed the the possibility of a 30-30 season for Addie. She said right now the stolen bases are coming much fewer and far between because Addie isn't stopping at 1st base much these days. She said they had been trying to find out if their ever has been a 30-30 player in NCAA softball but so far they haven't found one but she wasn't quite ready to declare that Addie would be the first to reach those numbers (if she does). One thing that HCKB did point out that if Addie is able to hit these marks it would be especially impressive in that they are playing a low number of games this year. They had 2 games cancelled and if they play all 6 of their remaining games on the schedule (3 at ECU and 3 vs UCF) they will only have played 47 games in the regular season. They are allowed 56. Not sure what was behind the lack of a full schedule.

BTW, For the second time this month Addison Barnard has been named the Louisville Slugger/NFCA National Player of the Week.

Barnard joins Oklahoma's Jocelyn Alo as the only players to earn National Player of the Week honors multiple times this season. She recorded the program's first-ever National Player of the Week back on April 6 after a five-home run, 14-RBI week.

Last week Barnard hit.667 (8-for-12) with a slugging percentage of 2.250. The Beatrice, Neb., native hit six home runs to go with a double, stolen base, 10 runs and 15 RBI in four games. She hit at least one homer in all four games, including two-home run games against Kansas and Memphis. She had at least two hits and two RBI in all four games, including five RBI vs. Kansas. She finished the week with a two-homer game and scored four runs in the blowout win of Memphis on Sunday.

Over the weekend Barnard broke her own single season records for home runs and RBI, and is currently the nation's leader in home runs, home runs per game, RBI, RBI per game and total bases. She ranks second in runs per game, just behind her teammate Sydney McKinney.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 26, 2022, 06:35 PM.

Comment

I will say this about Addie, if you saw her in an airport and told someone who didn't know her that there is the NCAA D-1 national leader in home runs, total bases and RBI's they would probably say "Yeah, right". At 5-6 Addie is not exactly imposing. I would say she really doesn't have a classic swing. But it is short and sweet and uncanny with how the ball seems to explode off her bat. Not sure where all that power comes from. Perhaps from her lower body which appears to be very strong.

Comment

It appears she has an insanely strong core, which I believe also fuels some of her speed. I'd wager dollars to donuts that her upbringing, working on the farm, was a big part in her foundation.

I also believe that Garrett Bayliff has a big hand in her development, and many others in softball. It's no accident that the team has hit 90+ homers 2 seasons in a row. He's been outstanding for Shocker Athletics.

Comment

One other thing HCKB brought up about Addie was that although Sydney was voted as 1 of the 25 finalists for USA Softball Player of the Year award (deservedly so) that Addie did not make it. But HCKB is one of the voters this year and she said that since that vote was held Addie has been on an absolute tear. Obviously having 2 players from a non-major probably present some headwinds although Addie's numbers at the time of the vote were well below where they are today.

I would probably have to bet Addie will fall just short of the 30-30 mark at least in the regular season. Mostly, because of the Shockers only playing 47 games (at most) in the regular season.

I have to say that I was concerned coming into the year that it would very difficult for Addie to live up to her record setting freshman year. Partly because sophomore slumps aren't unusual but largely because she would not have Butters batting behind her in the lineup.

Gotta give some credit to Lauren Lucas, Zoe Jones and Neleigh Herring for making it difficult to pitch around Addie.

Lauren Lucas has been a big surprise this year. Neleigh has raised her average 30 points to .330 in the last 7 games on 9-19 (.474) with 10 RBI's to raise her total for the season to 35 RBI's. Great to see Neleigh finishing her final year as a Shocker on a strong note.

HCKB mentioned on her coach's show yesterday that earlier in the season she thought maybe she should lower her expectations. The pitching was struggling, she had lost Arielle James for the season and the a month into the season a 2nd starter, Bailey Urban, went down. But the Shocks have persevered and and seem to be playing their best ball of the year at the best time. Hopefully, the pitching will continue to be effective.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 26, 2022, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          It appears she has an insanely strong core, which I believe also fuels some of her speed. I'd wager dollars to donuts that her upbringing, working on the farm, was a big part in her foundation.

I also believe that Garrett Bayliff has a big hand in her development, and many others in softball. It's no accident that the team has hit 90+ homers 2 seasons in a row. He's been outstanding for Shocker Athletics.
                          Wish we were seeing the same benefits for the baseball team.

Last year's Shocker team demolished the single season team home record with 103 in 55 games (1.87 per game). I thought that was a record that would stand for a long time. If it survives more than a year may depend on how many games the Shocks get in this season. At this point the Shockers have hit 93 homeruns in 41 games (2.27 per game).

I will give Garrett credit for his strength training but also a lot of credit to HCKB and AHCEC. Some of that is probably coaching but I think a lot of it is attention to scouting of and preparation.for opponent pitching.

Comment

Is the home game against OU still on?

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                              Is the home game against OU still on?
                              That game is not on either team's schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

That game is not on either team's schedule.
                                Sorry, not sure what I was thinking.

Comment

Working...
                                X