Shockers v Memphis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I don't see how you could take Cincinnati over Houston since the Cougars finished ahead of the Bearcats in AAC play and beat Cincinnati twice in doing so. If Houston doesn't get in they may rue their loss at ECU on October 24th.
    I absolutely agree. This is a "what does the Committee give the most weight to" situation. T25 wins, T50 wins, H2H, RPI, etc ... I still think UCF is the only AAC team in the Tournament.

Time to start an NCAA Tournament thread.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

Saturday Match

East Carolina at Temple
      To complete the regular season-

East Carolina 2-3 Temple
      21, (20), (17), 21, 12

Comment

End-of-season article from the Eagle

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
          End-of-season article from the Eagle
          Any intersting insights or comments?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Any intersting insights or comments?
            Wondered if that might be a subscriber-only link.

The Wichita State volleyball team ended its season on Friday with a four-set win over Memphis.

It was a fitting ending, in the opinion of long-time coach Chris Lamb, as the Shockers ended three straight sub-par seasons with a bounce-back 19-10 campaign this season.

After being picked eighth in the preseason conference poll by coaches, WSU finished with a 13-7 record and fifth place — just a game behind third place.

“I’m really proud of where we were last year to the campaign that we had this year,” Lamb said. “I told the team I hope this works for them. We don’t have a banner to hang, but I’ve been here 22 seasons and this is the farthest we’ve come from the end of one season to the end of the next season.

“I’m really, really honored and proud of the job that we did this season, given how many curveballs were thrown our way.”

The highlight of the season was the development of sophomore outside hitter Brylee Kelly in her fourth year in the program. Kelly blossomed into one of the best weapons in the American, finishing with a team-high 368 kills and 3.54 kills per set while hitting .241 to go along with a team-high 37 service aces.

Another bright spot was the development of sophomore setter Kayce Litzau, who took control of the job early in the season and never let it go and allowed WSU to return to a 5-1 system. Litzau led the AAC in assists per set at 10.18 and finished with 1,110 assists on the season.

Injuries decimated WSU in the middle, but it also opened up plenty of playing time for freshmen like Natalie Foster (2.49 kills per set, .334 hitting percentage) and Morgan Stout (1.44 kills per set, .202 hitting percentage) to learn.

Another sophomore, Lily Liekweg, also emerged as a reliable option in the back row of WSU’s defense, as the libero averaged 4.14 digs per set.

After WSU finished with a combined 32-45 record the last three seasons, the return to competing with the top of the conference was a welcomed change and one that Lamb hopes the Shockers can build on with a young core expected to be back for next season.

Comment

Working...
            X