Shockers v Memphis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockers v Memphis

The Shockers close their season with a match against Memphis at noon on Friday. The Tigers are 6-13 in the AAC and in eighth place in the AAC. The Shocks are in fifth place with a 12-7 record.

The Shockers are 83% to win this match per Pablo. They were 3-1 winners in the earlier match between the two teams.

Set 1

Memphis leads 15-12 at the mediat timeout. Shocks don't seem too terribly engaged. Shocks have 6 kills and 6 attack errors.

The Shocks scored four in a row out of the mediat timeout to take a 16-15.

Memphis edges back ahead at 20-19 and Lambo takes a timout. A Bylee back row attack into the into the net puts Memphis up 21-19.

Shocks get it back to even at 22-all and Memphis calls a timeout.

Back and forth they go. Memphis has set points at 24-23 and 25-24 but the Shocks saved those and now the Shocks have a set point at 26-25.

Memphis saves that set point and goes on to win the sset 29-27.

Memphis has the best player on the court in freshman Tabytha Toelke and they just seem like the want in it more than the Shocks. Memphis outhit the Shocks .233 to .122 and outblocked the Shocks 5-1. Memphis much better defensivley than the Shocks as well. Not sure how the Shocks kept it as close as they did.

Natalie Foster is the only Shocker playing well.

Set 2

Shocks jump to to a 7-3 lead and Memphis calls a time out. Whether the Shocks can hold this lead remains to ge seen. Not exactly been a strength of this team.

Sophia Rohling heating up for the Shocks and have extended their lead to 11-5. Memphis uses its 2nd timeout early. Needed someone else to step up as Brylee has not been very good so far in this match.

The Shocks step it up in Set 2, especially Sophia and Memphis regresses and the Shocks cruise to a 25-14 win to even the match at 1 set each.

Shocks outhit Memphis .310 to 000 in Set 2. The Shocks had 3 service aces to 1 for Memphis in the set.

Toelke at 6 kils for Memphis in Set 1 with no attack errors. To 1 kill and 1 attack error in 5 swingts in Set 2.

Set 3

Back and forth so far in Set 3. Shocks lead 15-14. The Shocks have seemignly quit setting Natalie. Not sure if the Memphis defense is dictating that or not.

The teams continue to go back and forth trading the lead. Shocks edge ahead 22-21 and Memphis calls timeout.

Memphis scores back-to-back points after the time out to take the lead back at 23-22 and Lambo calls a timeout.

Memphis has a set point at 24-23 but a Brylee roll shot finds the floor and then Brylee's serve rolls over the net for an ace and the Shocks have a set point at 25-24. Memphis calls a time out. A Natalie Foster kills pulls it out for the Shocks 26-24.

Memphis is probably a little bit better passing team then the Shocks but who isn't. However, where Memphis really shines is that they are very good at keeping the ball in play and extending rallies unitl the other team makes a mistake,

Set 4

I don't think the Shocks really want to go to a 5th set again but the way this season has gone and the way this match has gone that is certainly a distinct possibility.

Shocks jump out to a 4-0 lead and Memphis calls a timeout. Lily has served all 4 points very well. A bit solo block by Natalie on Toelke.

The Lily and Natalie show extends the lead to 7-0 before Toelke tools a kill off the block to put Memphis on the board.

Shocks need to stay focused.

.After seemingly going away from Natalie in Set 3 the Shocks are now going to Natalie and it is working well.

Memphis scored 3 in a row to make it 7-3, but the Shocks and Natalie extend the lead back to 7 at 11-4. Natalie with 6 kills and a solo block in this set so far.

Another Natalie kill makes it 13-5 as Natalie rotates out.

Shocks push the lead out to 23-12. Seniors Lexi Hogan and Skylar Goering enter the match on their Senior Day. A Memphis attack error makes it 24-12 and the Skylar Goering closes it out with a hard slam to the Memphis 10-foot line. Interestingly Skylar who has graduated in 3 years is only a redshirt freshman. A really cool way to end the season for sor Skylar to end her time as a Shocker.

I don't think the Set scores in this one are ones you will see a lot as the Shocks win it in 4 by 27-29, 25-14, 26-24 and 25-12.

Loved seeing the Shocks put it away emphatically in the 4th set.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 26, 2021, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Brylee, Natalie and Sophia combined for 48 of the Shockers 61 kills on 48-18-104 = .288. The rest of the team hit 13-9-37 = .108.

Brylee and Natalie both had 18 kills but Natalie was more efficient hitting 18-4-33 = .424. Brylee was 18-9-43 = .209. Sophia hit 12-5-28 = .250 after a bit of a slow start.

The Shocks outhit Memphis .241 to .103 for the match after Memphis outhit them .233 to .122 in Set 1.

Kayce had 53 assists in 4 sets which at 13.25 per set is very good. Kayce hit 2-1-5 = .200 which I prefer to see in terms of attempts. Just enough to give Memphis something to think about.

Tabytha Toelke got of to a blazing start for Memphis hitting 6-0-10 = .600 in the 1st set but the Shocks did a good job on her after that. In the final 3 sets Toelke hit 8-6-32 = .0625.

The Shocks finish the year 19-10 (probably would have been 22-10 if they could have played in the South Dakota State Tournament) overall and 13-7 in AAC play.

Cincinnati swept Temple today so they will finish alone in 3rd. If SMU beats Tulsa this afternoon then SMU will finish 4th and the Shocker 5th. if SMU loses they and the Shockers will tie for 4th.

Either way the Shocks outperformed expectations this year and overcame some adversity to do it. Still, they have a some things they need to improve on but thi year was a step in the right direction.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 26, 2021, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Other Friday Matches

UCF at Houston 7pm

Cincinnati 3-0 Temple
        14, 19,13

SMU 3-1 Tulsa
        18, (25), 26, 24
        Three of the four sets required extras.

USF 1-3 Tulane
        20, (25), 23, 19

Saturday Match

East Carolina at Temple
        Last edited by flyingMoose; November 26, 2021, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Either way, the Shocks outperformed expectations this year and overcame some adversity to do it. Still, they have some things they need to improve on but this year was a step in the right direction.
          Expectations were for eighth, and the Shocks finished fifth. The Women's NIVC field will be announced two hours after the NCAA Selection Show on Sunday evening. Can the Shockers make the 32-team field? Can they afford to play in it even if selected?

Comment

Totally forgot about this tourney. All matches on campus. One would think WSU would be a top 4 seedish type, securing at least 1 home match. I would hope we're interested but there are a lot of moving parts with finals, money, availability etc

It appears Koch Arena isn't a problem based on the dates with both men's and women's basketball having open dates on scheduled days for the tourney. A final on the 14th would be an issue but we could play earlier in the day or the 13th.

Hope we can play!

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
              Can they afford to play in it even if selected?
              Can they afford not to?!?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Can they afford not to?!?
                I have no idea what the finances of the Athletic Department look like. The Good Doctor may have some feel for that. Finances have affected recruiting, so who knows.

But, yes, if they get invited and there is any way possible, I would expect them to play. They only graduate one senior who played, so the experience has to be worth something.

Comment

I have no idea what the finances of the Athletic Department look like. The Good Doctor may have some feel for that. Finances have affected recruiting, so who knows.

But, yes, if they get invited and there is any way possible, I would expect them to play. They only graduate one senior who played, so the experience has to be worth something.
                  Agree with your points, but also how not going could potentially affect retention of our best players and recruitment. I realize it's not the best Dance card, but it is a Dance.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Agree with your points, but also how not going could potentially affect retention of our best players and recruitment. I realize it's not the best Dance card, but it is a Dance.
                    I should add that how much of the "slow down" on recruiting was finances and how much was COVID is above my pay grade. I just think I recall comments by Lambo that the recruiting budget was limited.

You make a very good point. Who wants to go to a program where the administration is not going to make every effort to support the program?

A mild aside, but we are assuming the fifth-place team in an almost P5 conference will be attractive to the NIVC. There will be two or three teams in the AAC (depending on Houston) in line ahead of us.

Comment

I should add that how much of the "slow down" on recruiting was finances and how much was COVID is above my pay grade. I just think I recall comments by Lambo that the recruiting budget was limited.

You make a very good point. Who wants to go to a program where the administration is not going to make every effort to support the program?

A mild aside, but we are assuming the fifth-place team in an almost P5 conference will be attractive to the NIVC. There will be two or three teams in the AAC (depending on Houston) in line ahead of us.
                      No doubt, a BIG IF. The team did more than they were expected to this year. It would be a nice reward.

Comment

Other Friday Matches

UCF at Houston 7pm

Cincinnati 3-0 Temple
                        14, 19,13

SMU 3-1 Tulsa
                        18, (25), 26, 24
                        Three of the four sets required extras.

USF 1-3 Tulane
                        20, (25), 23, 19

Saturday Match

East Carolina at Temple
                        UCF 3-2 Houston
                        (19), (23), 19, 8, 7
                        Somebody made somebody else mad. :)

RPIs for the two teams should be available in the morning.

Comment

Obviously, if Houston doesn't get an at-large bid to the NCAA that will diminish the Shockers chances of getting a bid to the NIVT.

Comment

RPIs for the two teams should be available in the morning.
                            51 - Cincinnati
                            60 - Houston

Yep, Cincinnati has the better RPI.

This morning's Bracketology has both teams as First Four Out.
                            Last edited by flyingMoose; November 27, 2021, 11:34 AM.

Comment

50 - Cincinnati
                              60 - Houston

Yep, Cincinnati has the better RPI.

This morning's Bracketology has both teams as First Four Out.
                              I don't see how you could take Cincinnati over Houston since the Cougars finished ahead of the Bearcats in AAC play and beat Cincinnati twice in doing so. If Houston doesn't get in they may rue their loss at ECU on October 24th.

Comment

Working...
                              X