No announcement yet.

Volleyball vs Memphis (Rescheduled)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocks jump out to a 2-0 lead in the 5th set but Memphis is on a 7-2 run to lead 7-4 and Lambo calls a timeout as his Shocker team is reeling.

Memphis extends the lead to 10-5. This Memphis team has not been prone to giving up big runs tonight so the Shocks are in a tough, tough spot.

The Shocks have staved off 2 match points and at 12-14 they need 2 more to have chance. Memphis calls timeout. Memphis lead by as much as 13-7.

Sophia gets a pretty good ball but hits it long and Memphis wins the set 15-12 and the match 3-2 and quite frankly they deserved to win.

Memphis reminds me of the old UNI teams. They really keep the ball off the floor and in play and they make you really work for your kills.

The Shocks may be in a bit of trouble. Lambo was has some work to do. Probably got outcoached in this match.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 4, 2021, 09:41 PM.

Comment

You could see this one coming a mile away. We were not ready to compete and Memphis absolutely was. Better team one tonight, and sadly that was the Tigers. Incredibly disappointing.

These ladies are so much better than what they showed tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        You could see this one coming a mile away. We were not ready to compete and Memphis absolutely was. Better team one tonight, and sadly that was the Tigers. Incredibly disappointing.

These ladies are so much better than what they showed tonight.
        I totally agree with your first comment and I hope they are better than they showed tonight. Sophia was quite good again tonight the last attack error not withstanding and Brylee was decent. Brooke hit .333 but she only had 12 swings and quite frankly you are not going to win on the strength of Brooke's arm. I would say everyone else, including he coaching staff, just wasn't ready to compete tonight.

I guess we will find out tomorrow but Memphis has to be feeling very good about themselves right now and I see the match tomorrow as a toss up at best unless something drastically changes with the Shocks approach and level of play.

But again kudos to Memphis. The earned and deserved this win.

Memphis had 3 service errors and 4 services aces. The Shocks had 9 service errors to 1 service ace. That's a 9 point advantage for Memphis.

The Shocks ended up out-blocking Memphis but only by 12-9.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 4, 2021, 09:52 PM.

Comment

I guess we have to be rooting for SMU to be Tulane tomorrow. At this point I would have say Houston and Tulane are the favorites to advance the AAC Tournament out of the West but if the Shocks can get by Memphis tomorrow (far from assured obviously) they will have their destiny in their own hands as they have Tulane and Houston left on their AAC schedule. But they are going to have to play far better and compete far harder than they did tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            Incredibly disappointing.
            Either incredibly disappointing or the 8-0 start was fool's gold.

But 2 consecutive losses after leading those matches 2-0 to teams whose only league wins to date were in those matches is without question incredibly disappointing.

Comment

Sometimes I think Morgan is our libero. Right not, both Morgan and Mariah are offensive liabilities. You just cannot get an honest swing from them. Happens to freshmen, I suppose.

Comment

Have they discarded the masks yet?

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                  Have they discarded the masks yet?
                  No, in fact both teams were masked up on the court tonight. But perhaps that's an adjustment Lambo should make. Nothing else he did seemed to work tonight.

Comment

Another bad loss to Memphis. Not sure why coaches think putting freshman in late in the game helps create a spark. Marriah looks like she is trying to do to much with out of system passes and Morgan is not a libero with multiple bad passes . If you are going to play those girls maybe try it when the teams not desperate

Comment

The past two matches where we were ahead 2-0 and lost 3-2 reminds me of the past Wide World of Sports Mantra from 50-60 years ago.

"The Thrill of Victory and the Agony of Defeat"

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                        The past two matches where we were ahead 2-0 and lost 3-2 reminds me of the past Wide World of Sports Mantra from 50-60 years ago.

"The Thrill of Victory and the Agony of Defeat"
                        Yep. I imagine the signature phrase of Jim McKay.

Of interest, at least to me, was that in 2007, Wide World of Sports was named by Time on its list of the 100 best television programs of all-time.

Of course, programming choices in those days were much more limited but I always enjoyed that program.

Comment

Originally posted by newshok View Post
                          Another bad loss to Memphis. Not sure why coaches think putting freshman in late in the game helps create a spark. Marriah looks like she is trying to do to much with out of system passes and Morgan is not a libero with multiple bad passes . If you are going to play those girls maybe try it when the teams not desperate
                          I was surprised when Lambo put Mariah in at 25-26 in the 4th set especially when she had been standing around on the sidelines for 2.5 hours at that point and had not played well against SMU. I guess if she had done something good it may have been a big confidence boost but the opposite may have occurred. Kind of felt bad for Mariah to be put in that position. That was the only point Mariah played in the entire match.

Lambo say he doesn't buy in much to the psychological aspects of coaching but he may have to after these last two losses. The team does not seem to be in a real good place right now. How the Shockers respond in tonight's match will be very interesting indeed. Hopefully, we will see a nice bounce back.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            How the Shockers respond in tonight's match will be very interesting indeed. Hopefully, we will see a nice bounce back.
                            I was thinking the same thing. In the last two matches, we were punched in the mouth and did not respond well.

Comment

I haven't been able to watch Match 2 with Memphis but have been able to periodically check on the score. Just looked at the lineup the box score on the live stats page.

Almost looks like Lambo is throwing in the towel on this match or the Shocks have some illness/injury issues. Brooke and Lauren the only middles to play midway through the 1st set. No Emma and no Natalie. Kayce has 18 assists and McKayla only has 5. Is McKayla injure or has Lambo switched to a 5-1 offense?

Looks like the Shocks may be going down in straight sets unless something changes in a hurry.

So the Shocks are on the brink down 0-2, and 24-all in the 3rd set. Nicole is hitting 4-3-26 = .038 yet she has the most swings for the Shocks. Maybe the Shocks just aren't getting in system enough to pick and choose who to set and Nicole is getting stuck with the trash. Hoepfully, someone at the match or watching on ESPN+ can fill me in at some point.

Good for Mariah Buss. She scores the set point in set 3 as the Shocks eek out a 26-24 win and still have a little cabon dioxide breath remaining (assuming the are still doing the idiotic mask virtue signaling while playing).

Shocks rally for a 18-22 deficit in set 4 to tie it at 23-all but the Shocks committed 2 attack errors and a service error in the next 4 points and lose the set 24-26, the match 1-3 and perhaps see a promising start to the season come crashing down. They have matches with Tulane and Houston remaining in AAC play and they are probably the 2 best teams in the AAC West. So things not looking to rosy for the Shocks.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 5, 2021, 09:25 PM.

Comment

How much do I remember? Emma was there. Did not look for Natalie. Megan was there and played a dab.

Played a bunch of 5-1. Kayce even had two BA. Hailey Plugge played just a dab also. Mckayla seemed to be a designated server in later sets.

I began to wonder if these were tryouts for the Fall 2021 team. At the end of the match, Lambo clapped his hands some. I take that to mean he was pleased - with effort? with growth during the match? because this worked better than it might have?

It seems clear to me that he had made as much progress as he felt was going to happen with the previous arrangement, and it was time to start experimenting with the other ideas the coaching staff had.

I also wondered if we have become the team we thought we had before the season began.

BWDIK.
                                Last edited by flyingMoose; March 5, 2021, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X