Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volleyball vs Memphis (Rescheduled)

Volleyball Matches vs. Memphis Moved to March 4-5

Wichita State volleyball's American Athletic Conference home matches against the Memphis Tigers have been moved to Thursday, March 4, and Friday, March 5. Both matches will start at 7 p.m. at Charles Koch Arena.

The matches, which were originally slated for Friday, March 5, and Saturday, March 6, were rescheduled due to the addition of the Wichita State men's basketball home game vs. USF Saturday at noon and Memphis volleyball's return flight schedule.

Wichita State volleyball's American Athletic Conference home matches against the Memphis Tigers have been moved to Thursday, March 4, and Friday, March 5. Both matches will start at 7 p.m. at Charles Koch Arena.

Most common post on goShockers.com this year. Games/Matches/Events cancelled, postponed or rescheduled.

Comment

Wichita State Hosts Memphis to Wrap Up Homestand

Wichita State volleyball wraps up its season-long four-match homestand with a pair of American Athletic Conference matches against Memphis Thursday, March 4, and Friday, March 5. Both matches will start at 7 p.m. inside Charles Koch Arena.

Match 1: Wichita State (8-1, 3-1 American) vs. Memphis (3-5, 0-4 American)
      Thursday, March 4 | 7 p.m. | Wichita, Kan. (Charles Koch Arena)
      TV: ESPN+

Match 2: Wichita State vs. Memphis
      Friday, March 5 | 7 p.m. | Wichita, Kan. (Charles Koch Arena)
      TV: ESPN+

Scouting Memphis:
      The Memphis Tigers are 3-5 overall and 0-4 in The American after dropping a pair of home matches vs. Tulsa Feb. 25, 3-1, and Feb. 26, 3-0 ... Through eight matches, the Tigers are led by junior middle hitter Miaya Smith (75 kills, 2.68 kills/set, 3 block solos, 10 block assists), junior setter Sabrina Bianco (320 assists, 11.03 assists/set, 6 service aces, 86 digs, 2.97 digs/set), freshman libero Bailey Houlihan (8 service aces, 159 digs, 5.48 digs/set) and senior middle hitter Elizabeth Orf (63 kills, 2.63 kills/set, 3 block solos, 18 block assists, 0.88 blocks/set) ... BIanco is second in the conference in assists, while Houlihan is second in digs ... As a team, the Tigers are averaging 13.3 kills, 12.6 assists, 1.2 service aces, 19.6 digs and 1.4 blocks per set ... Memphis leads the conference in digs ... The Tigers are under the direction of third season head coach Sean Burdette.

Shocks can't overhead to slip up against Memphis and I do not expect them to. But there is a reason they play the matches.

Comment

Briley struggled a bit against SMU, I expect her to breathe fire tonight and tomorrow. Expect a few facials to be delivered to the Tigers back row.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          Briley struggled a bit against SMU, I expect her to breathe fire tonight and tomorrow. Expect a few facials to be delivered to the Tigers back row.
          I think SMU was focused on Briley and that was a good move on their part. She will be getting a lot of attention this year on opponent scouting reports. OTOH I think Sophia may have been the beneficiary of that attention in the SMU matches. Sophia was 27-5-56 = .393 in the two SMU matches. Hopefully, NIcole gets back on track as well.

Hopefully, the matches are such that Lambo will able to get some decent playing time for the newcomers. Like to see more of Natalie in the middle.

Comment

Interesting score this past Sunday. ECU who is 0-4 in AAC play with its only win a season opening 4 set win over North Carolina A&T swept North Carolina who came into that match at 7-2 (6-2 in ACC play).

Comment

It’s not on my ESPN+ An hour and 1/2 prior

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                It’s not on my ESPN+ An hour and 1/2 prior
                The game is posted on ESPN+ now.

Comment

Set one goes to the Shocks 25-18. Shocks outhit Memphis .405 - .091 in the set.

Despite the hititng dominance I didn't think the Shocks looked real sharp the first 2/3rds of the set. But the Shocks pulled away in the final 1/3rd behind Brylee and Sophia.

Shocks with 4 service errors to none for Memphis and Shocks with only 1 block in the set as did Memphis.

Memphis is a pretty feisty team. They play hard.

Comment

Shocks down 7-13 in set 2. Lambo finally calls a TO. Shocks hitting -.174 in this set. Memphis really scrapping and are a good digging team.

The two teams trade points through 17-11 before the Shocks string 3 points in row to close the deficit to 3 at 14-17.

After Memphis went up 18-14 the Shocks get for in a row to finally tie it at 18-all. The first time they have been even since 2-2.

Memphis edges ahead 22-20. Lambo timeout. Shocks just seem out of sync. Not getting a lot of first attack kills and then can't bet back into system.

Shocks save 2 sets points to tie it at 24-all. A block by the Shocks gives then a set point at 25-24. But Memphis saves that set point and they play on at 25-all. Something under discussion. Memphis got away with what looked like a pretty obvious throw/push and perhaps a push into the net. After a review the down ref ruled a double touch on Memphis I think. Shocks win 26-24 and probably and are very fortunate to and perhaps did not really deserve to win that set/

In any case, Memphis clearly believes they can play with the Shocks. And at least tonight they can.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 4, 2021, 08:10 PM.

Comment

I don't like the way this match is going. Shocks do not look particularly sharp and if Memphis gets this set, as they likely will, this is going to be a real problem. Also, if I don't start spelling Brylee's name correctly (and I know better) I am going to shoot myself.

Comment

Shocks not done yet in set 2!

Comment

Tulane knocks of SMU in Dallas 31-33. 25-23, 25-20 and 25-23.

Shocks play Tulane in New Orleans next Friday and Saturday. They are definitely going to have to play better than are tonight. And they way they are playing tonight this match and tomorrow's match are far from in the bag.

Comment

Wow! Shocks don't really look like they want to be there tonight.

Memphis has been the far better team in the serve receive and passing game.

Shocks down at the auto time out 11-15. At this point Memphis simply looks like the better volleyball team. Really good digging and passing team and they have a few nice weapons as well.

Shocks score 5 out of 6 points to take a 19-18 lead and force a Memphis timeout.

Taflinger blocked to give Mephis a set point at 24-23 for the second consecutive set. Lambo calls timeout.

Memphis wins Set 3, or should I say the Shockers lose set 3, on an absolutely poor effort and execution by the Shocks on set point.

The Shockers outhit Memphis in this set .118 to .000 and still managed to lose the set.

As WuDrWu said I don't like the way this match is going and haven't from the start.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 4, 2021, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Wow! The Shocks can't even put away a rare overpass to open up the 4th set. Not sure where there heads are but they aren't in Koch Arena. About time to wake up Shocks.

Another review. That may be a record tonight as well. The number of reviews.

Morgan Webber finally gets a chance to play. Perhaps she can fire the Shocks up a bit.

Shocks up 15-14 at the auto time-out but still are not looking none too sharp.

Another officiating kerfuffle.

Megan has not been very good this match but got a big kill to give the Shocks a first 3 point lead in this set at 22-19.

Shocks get two set points at 24-22. Memphis saves the first and Lambo calls a timeout. Sophia, the Shocks best weapon tonight but not floor right now.

Horrible pass on a benign set by Sina and Memphis gets it tied up at 24-all.

Brylee blocked and now Memphis has a set point at 25-24.

A Brylee kill gets it back to even at 25-25.

Memphis takes a 26-25 lead. Lambo inserts Mariah for the first time in the match. Another very poor pass on the Memphis serve, the Shocks set Mariah and she hits it into the net. Duh.

Memphis 27-25 after the Shocks led 23-20.

My money is on Memphis because outside of Sophia and Brylee the Shocks have struggled and really Memphis probably deserves to win this match. They sure seem to want it more. And so far I would have to say Lambo has been outcoached.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 4, 2021, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X