Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shockers at Dr. Mary Jo Wynn Invitational (Missouri State)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

At least from 22-13 Bears in the 4th it was. Pretty effing painful prior to that.
    Coincidentally, that’s when I started watching.

Comment

This team had an off day passing and struggled but they didn’t fold and quit. These girls showed grit today. Proud of their heart and passion.

Comment

Nicole Anderson was named the MVP of the Dr. Mary Jo Wynn Invitational after hitting .284 with 37 kills and 37 digs in three matches, while Sophia Rohling and Sinalauli'i Uluave joined her on the all-tournament team.

After watching the video clip on the Bears site, was Sina the libero the entire match?
        Last edited by flyingMoose; January 24, 2021, 09:47 PM.

Comment

And Nicole is the AAC Offensive Player of the Week.

Comment

Radio show:

Lambo said 3 couldn't make the trip due to testing. Bry, best OH, Morgan, maybe best all around. Not sure who the 3rd was.

Thought SD win was very solid given all the circumstances.

Very skeptical about North Texas matches. Nothing makes him feel good about them being here Thursday Friday. Maybe pushed back to Sunday Monday, or cancelled. He's 50/50 at this point. Waiting to hear from UNT.

Trying to rebuild the mojo for 2 years. Feels better about where they are today. Thinks a couple of So, have made huge strides since Fr year. Not playing until now has helped because we have some impactful Fr that have had 5 months to get ready.

Lambo, Shannon, Chels deserve a smiley face. :) Kids too.

Thinks Bry, Kayce and Sofia are ahead of schedule compared to where he thought they might be. Recruited them on physical talent more than production.

Maybe Nicole benefited from not having to look over her shoulder all weekend...it was the Nicole show all weekend, never came out.

Sofia has everything she needs to play in Europe someday. Also ahead of schedule. Impactful blocker.

Great talk about the MSU comeback, referenced 2005 at MSU, goes in at break down 0-2 and Darci Vohs is chewing tail and Lambo says, "What she said" , turns around and goes back out.

Working on hitting % differential. Bringing opponents % down. Will bet on most improved in that % in the conference.

Likes what they are doing with their blocking.

2 positions that we've been at the top of the conference forever, setter and libero, have been decimated since 2018 when Kali went down with the knee, and Gio and Jenna Mak could never get out of concussion protocol. Takes awhile to fill in recruits but we're getting there with those 2 positions.

Sina trying to learn to trust team defense. Used to "see it, get it" and that doesn't work now, you've got to trust your team D and take care of your own responsibilities.

Best recruiting class that no money can buy. Budget cuts limiting everything, especially recruiting. No visits.

Morgan Stout is fixing a foot issue, will be out all year but could be impactful today. Looks forward to getting her back.

Hailey Plugge is coming along nicely at setter.

Lauren McMahon is ahead of schedule. Already pushing for time.

Morgan Weber will be as busy as someone can be for 4 years. Can do a little of everything.

Mariah is physical, needs to expand her game.

Sofie Childs has made impact in practice, sprained an ankle so didn't travel. Further along than they ever expected.

May do intersquad if UNT can't play (with fans). Maybe add OU at some point but they can't do this week.

Nice jab at KU and KSU for not playing us. Have to this year, hope that helps in the future. Great hour.

Comment

Radio show:

Best recruiting class that no money can buy. ... No visits.
              I was puzzled when I first heard "that no money can buy" several days ago. They are recruiting off video? From word-of-mouth? Then after his remark about no campus visits, the light came on. Enough money to go watch, but not enough money to bring them to Wichita. At least that is what I think I know.

BTW, great summary. I can't write nearly that fast.

Also, Sina approached the staff about switching positions, a notion they were already thinking about.

Sean has been the force behind the more aggressive blocking scheme they are using. And I just said more than I know about blocking schemes. (Pinch the middle to force more sets to the outside and then "get out there"?)

Darci Vohs was always my favorite from that group.
              Last edited by flyingMoose; January 26, 2021, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

Darci Vohs was always my favorite from that group.
                Darci and her family are responsible for turning me into a VB fan. Hundo P responsible. Great people, although that doesn't really narrow it down when you're talking Shocker volleyball. The number of really special young ladies and their families that I've been fortunate enough to meet and get to know over the years....too many to name and I'm sure in my advanced age I would forget many.

An amazing program fueled by amazing people.

Comment

Best recruiting class that no money can buy. Budget cuts limiting everything, especially recruiting. No visits.
                  This isn't meant to be a slam on the staff and recruiting because, there is only so much they can do, but.............

We've not had much luck recruiting our top rated area kids. They've tended to go elsewhere with this year, several going to the SEK although we had the girl from Maize go to OU and then transfer back here. We've usually successfully recruited "sleepers" from our own area like the girls from Newton who led us to a really great season several years ago when we had the home court Regional in Wichita. It can't cost much to recruit in our own backyard, but maybe these girls don't want to stay home.

Any answers on why and have we had some girls interested, but just didn't choose us? Any future local area possibilities?

Anyone who may know, or have an opinion, should answer, please.

Comment

So I'm guessing that Lambo was never in on those girls just as Larsen when she came out. Our local recruiting ceiling must only be sleepers that have potential but aren't being recruited by others, and staying at our level.

Comment

• I think that's an over simplification of what goes on. Volleyball in Wichita is nothing like Volleyball in KC, for instance.

And it's naive to think that kids, affluent (mostly) young ladies are going to be more attracted to WSU than, for instance, KU or other larger more traditional institutions of higher learning.

Even more so in volleyball than men's basketball, volleyball is driven by the club scene and not high school. And club volleyball really BARELY existed in Wichita 18 years ago. I believe it was John Wadsworth (father of 2 Shockers) that was largely responsible for starting the first large club in the metro area. Today there are at least 6 BIG clubs and dozens of smaller ones just in Wichita, and hundreds all over the state.

Anyway, one of the best, if not the best local player in recent years would be Gracie Van Driel from Rose Hill. I don't think she was a PrepVolleyball senior ace but she was one of those groups top 100 recruits. All Area 2018. Kind of a can't miss type, might have had interest in team USA at some point. Fr year at KU part time OH for a 7-19 KU team. One of the best recruits in the last 10 years.

There are PLENTY of really good volleyball players in the Wichita area. For the better part of 10 years I spent hours upon hours in the gyms watching them. Not a bunch of D1 athletes, and even fewer HIGH D1 athletes. Heck, Brooke Smith was on one of my daughter's team at one point. I kept saying to myself "who's the new tall girl? Somebody could make a player out of her!" The game becomes much simpler, especially in the 12-13 age range when you've got a lanky, springy 5'10" girl to watch the net.

Makenna Miller from Maize was a stud DS but she wanted to do other things (again, not really unusual for young ladies at that age).

Regan Peare from Andover could have been an elite setter, but she destroyed her knee.

Emily and Abbie are 2 of the best players ever in the entire State from Newton.

Mayamay Brown of Andover is one of the top talents in the area now and I think she's committed to Arizona State but she's also a sand player, and Lambo has tried to start a stand program but has been denied. It certainly would open up our possibilities hugely if sand was an option here.

There just aren't a ton of young ladies at this level in this area. There aren't a ton of men's basketball players either. Just because we don't get 1 out of 4 in a 5 year stretch doesn't tell me much of anything, and certainly nothing bad. The numbers are too small.
                      Last edited by WuDrWu; January 27, 2021, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• I wouldn't view Emily as a sleeper, I have heard Lambo talk about her and Jody's club team and they were both nationally recruited. Believe Abby was late to the sport and largely viewed as a basketball player. Agree that I don't think there are many D1 kids nearby right now but there could be some in the next few years with some of the young kids we saw last fall. Also it was great to see Brooke Smith healthy and on the court and play well! Nice kid.

Comment

Working...
                        X