Penn State Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn State Classic

Ready or not the season opener is just around the corner as the Shockers head to University Park, PA to particpate in the Penn State Classic this coming weekend taking on Holy Cross at 4:00 pm CDT on Friday, Hofstra at Noon CDT on Saturday and host Penn State (#8 in the preseason national rankings) at 7:00 pm CDT on Saturday.

Holy Cross is coming off of an 8-21 season (7-9 in Patriot League play) and will playing under 1st year coach Kathleen Colpoys, a 2012 Holy Cross grad. Holy Cross had 2 seniors on last year's team. While those 2 seniors, a 6-2 MH and a 6-2 MB, were the two tallest Holy Cross players they were not amont the teams statistical leaders. This year's team has 6 juniors and 3 sophomores who saw significant playing time for Holy Cross. Holy Cross in not very big. Of these top 9 returning players they have a 6-1 MB and a 6-0 MH/OH, two 5-11 OH's. None of the other top 9 returning players are taller than 5-9. They have 1 incoming freshman OH who stands 6-0. Looks like Holy Cross probably ran a 6-2 last year and both of the setters are back this season as juniors. Whether or not the new coach will stick with a 6-2 attack is hard to say. Holy Cross is picked to finish 8th in the 9-team Patriot League.

Hofstra is coming off of a very good season as they finished 25-8 overall and 13-3 in the CAA tying James Madison for the CAA regular season title and then beating James Madison in the CAA tournament championship match. Hofstra lost at Nebarska in the 1st round of NCAA play. 4 of their top 9 players last season were seniors including their top 2 middles. However, perhaps an even bigger loss was the transfer to Iowa of their 2nd leading scorer, 5-9 Fr. OH Aisha Skinner out of Berlin, Germany. Hofstra's lineup has a heavy international flavor. Last year 9 players were european players and 2 were Puerto Ricans on a 15 players roster. This year 9 European players, 1 Puerto Rican and 1 Dominican are among the 16 players on the roster. Returning players include their leading scorer from a year ago in 6-0 Sr. OH Laura Masciullo out of Italy who averaged 3.67 kills per set last year as a junior and who is the preseason pick for CAA Player of the Year this year. Hofstra ran a 5-1 last year and 5-10 Sr. setter Luisa Sydlik out of Berlin, Germany returns to run the Hofstra offense. Last year Sydlik had 1,468 assists with the rest of the team only combining for 184 assists. 5-8 So. Maddie Appleton will return as the Hofstra Libero. Appleton averaged 4.02 digs per set last year. Hostra will probably look to 6-2 Jr. Sanne Maring, 6-2 Sarah Pierre and 6-5 Fr. Athina Dimitriadis to fill the departure of their middle blockers. Hofstra is picked to finish 2nd in the CAA this year behind James Madison.

I don't think I really need to say too much about Penn State. Clearly one of the elite volleyball programs in the country.

I'm thinking Holy Cross is a match the Shocks should win. Hofstra will be a challenge. Could go either way. This one may be the key match of the weekend. I don't think the Shocks are quite ready to take down a team like Penn State but it will be a great measuring stick for where they are. A 2-1 weekend would be great especially if the Shocks can play somewhat competitvely against Penn State. However, 1-2 is not out of the question. As I said Hofstra is probably the key match of the weekend. Losing to Penn State doesn't hurt a thing. A loss to Holy Cross would be not be good at all.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 25, 2019, 06:57 PM.

Mckayla Wuensch, a 5-foot-9 setter who transferred from Nevada to WSU in the spring, has yet to be given the chance to run a college offense, despite a standout prep career in Illinois and is looking forward to proving what she can do when given the chance.

Taylor Eldridge: Shocker volleyball transfer looking to ‘prove everyone wrong’

When Wuensch entered her name into the NCAA transfer portal, WSU coach Chris Lamb recognized it from a camp and remembered her top-level athleticism. With WSU’s setting for 2019 unclear, Lamb made Wuensch a priority target and convinced her to pick the Shockers over Auburn and Ohio.

That athleticism has made Wuensch stand out in practices the last three weeks, while Lamb is working with her to improve her location and understanding of the system.

“We’re working on finding that balance of competitor, athlete and setter,” Lamb said.

Lamb runs a detail-oriented system, which Wuensch has said is challenging to learn but a challenge she has embraced.

“Every day I come to practice and I swear I learn something new,” Wuensch said. “Even in the offices yesterday, I was still learning new things. Honestly, (Lamb) is a genius. No wonder they’ve been winning for so long here. You can’t run the same thing over and over again. It’s really impressive all of the things they come up with.”

That dedication to learning has already made an impression on her teammates, especially the pin hitters who she is working with on a daily basis.

Lamb wasn’t willing to commit to one system or another before the Penn State Classic, but did acknowledge Wuensch will handle a good chunk of the handling duties along with freshman Kayce Litzau and sophomore Kora Kauling.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 28, 2019, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Shocker Match Notes and Coverage Links.

Looks like live video will be available for all 3 Shocker matches this weekend and the best I can tell it will be free.

Comment

Subscription required for the Penn State match. The non-PSU matches certainly do appear to be free.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          Good catch. I just looked at the link for the Holy Cross Match. Looks like the Holy Cross and Hofstra matches are on LionVision while the Penn State match is on the Big Ten Network. Looks like that would cost $9.95 for a monthly subscription to Penn State events.

• flyingMoose
          flyingMoose commented
          Editing a comment
          If you just want to watch very good collegiate volleyball, #1 Stanford is at Penn State on Friday, September 13, as part of the Big Ten/Pac 12 Challenge, and of course. would be covered by the monthly subscription.

Got the LionVision video and the live stats but no Mike Kennedy audio stream yet. Why am I not surprised.

Comment

• WuDrWu
          WuDrWu commented
          Editing a comment
          Also cannot come up with the audio. The link says you aren't authorized for this VIDEO.

Sad face.

Match One

Shockers v Holy Cross

Set One

Starters are: Brylee Kelly, Emma Wright, Nicole Anderson, Sina Uluave, McKayla Wuensch, Megan Taflinger with Kara Bown as the libero.

Shockers running a 6-2 with Kayce Litzau.

Six-point run gives the Shocks a 14-10 lead.

17-14 becomes 17-16 and Lambo takes a TO.

19-16 and Holy Cross returns the favor with their own TO.

LiveStats and video gone at 21-18, Shockers.

LS now at 24-18 but no further. Now it is a 25-19 final.

Hit .333 v .118. Brylee with five kills and Nicole with four lead the way.
        Last edited by flyingMoose; August 30, 2019, 04:38 PM.

Comment

17-16 timeout Shocks. Not particularly clean volleyball. Shocks were at .320 but have fallen off. 4 service errors haven't helped but they are being very aggressive with the serves.

Comment

Brylee Kelly getting a lot of swings on the left. Time out Holy Cross.

Live stats are just barely better than audio (which is still non-existent).

Comment

Kennedy's audio stream is now working. However, I just lost the video stream.

Comment

• WuDrWu
                WuDrWu commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome because the video feed and live stats went dead. #B1Gfacilities

Geez......All I get on audio is a looping 3 minute audio feed prior to the match starting. No video no live stats. #GoPSU #Lionsroar #P5

Comment

Lost video. Lost audio. Live stats seem locked up with the Shocks leading 24-18.

Thought the Shocks looked a bit nervous to start this one out. Brylee and Nicole have had pretty good 1st sets. Sina had a good serving run but is only 2-1-8 = 0.125 on her attacks.

Comment

Live stats now showing a 25-19 Shocker win in Set 1.

Megan was 3-0-5 and Emma was 2-0-5 but would like to see them set a bit more than that. Maybe 7-8 times per set each.

Comment

Set Two

Damadj Johnson is the other Shocker to see the court to this point.

Comment

I can get the commercials to play on LionVision.

Comment

I have the video back now.

Comment

Working...
                        X