Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lambo Radio Show - Monday, 10/21/19

https://kfh.radio.com/media/audio-ch...-show-10-21-19

Getting bigger on the right (Sophia and Chinelo I think) makes the Shocks better defensively if not necessarily offensively although Sophia and Chinelo are getting better.

Shockers were 17-17 on side outs in the 1st set against UCF. Lambo said that is extremely unusual.

Brylee might be taking the goal of not making errors too far and not being aggressive enough.

Kayce has had a great couple of weeks of practice. McKayla is in concussion protocol and not sure how long she will be out. She got hit in the head during the setting warmup.. Same thing happened with Mikaela Raudsepp in her freshman year and she was out a month. No way to really know for sure when they will pass the concussion protocol. McKayla won't practice this week but might be able to play this weekend if she passes protocol.

Lambo feels like they are getting better in the middle. Really likes what Dmadj is about. She gives great effort.

Arianna getting more comfortable. Her passing and serve receive numbers are improving significantly. May have been holding back a bit early on as a freshman perhaps just wasn't real sure how she should fit in.

Lambo really wants to learn to win with Arianna, Kayce, Chinelo and Sophia but doesn't want to leave the out there if they are struggling to the point that it gets to them. He thinks that may have happened to Nicole Anderson.

This weekends matches will be at 6:00 pm CDT on Friday and at Noon CDT on Sunday.

Lambo's show next week will be from 8:00 pm to 9:00 pm as the Shocker basketball coaches' shows start up.

Comment

I realize the 3 or 4 of us that regularly discuss Shocker Volleyball already know and agree with this take, but I want to say it again for clarity.

This is an amazing program, with incredible coaching and leadership especially at the top from 2 of the most special people I know in athletics, Chris and Shannon Lamb.

Their program, chock full of polite, engaging, intelligent, thoughtful and academically sound student athletes who regularly make themselves available to idiotic fans like me, should be a program that other programs strive to be. I also get that it's athletics and winning matters. But I wouldn't sacrifice one of these things for any number of wins. These people are amazing and deserve more support now than they are getting.
      Last edited by WuDrWu; October 22, 2019, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Lambo has the perfect attitude and temperament to deal with this hiccup and I have not lost on ounce of faith in his ability to get the program back to what we have grown accustomed to.

However, I don't expect this to happen overnight. We should expect to be better next year but the year after next I'm guessing will be when we make perhaps some major strides retruning to form.

Comment

Lambo Radio Show - Monday, 10/28/19

Temple is a bad matchup for the Shocks with their power on the pins. They expose the Shocker weaknesses as well as anybody in the conference. They are the most emotional team in the conference. Would have been nice to have them at home this year since they don't travel well (see their 3-0 loss at Memphis).

Third set Shocker success was a part of the emotional swings of Temple.

Played cleaner volleyball against UConn. Shocks don't always handle the adjustments after the first game well - cited examples starting with UConn. Four errors would have put the Shockers in the mix in several of the matches lost. Cited again the older players not being the leaders needed.

Comments about Kayce. Liked the person during recruiting although knew the setting needed work - good setting on the pins, needed work setting the middles. Lots of want-to, lots of try, lots of hustle, coachability. With McKayla out, used 5-1 with Kayce recently because of numbers of her hitters. Serving is improving but has not matched what she does in practice.

McKayla's recovery is on track - back to practice on Tuesday. Playing with a bit of chip on her shoulder. Has improved her middle setting and back sets.

Moved on to Nicole and Sina. This past weekend, they starting playing six rows again. Had been having a rough patch, but began improving in practice. Points out to them that they are behind other freshmen in the conference. Nicole obsesses too much. :)

Pleased with Lily Liekweg and her effort. Lack of training in some areas that needed work and has improved.

Sophia and Chinelo would be in the most physical lineup. Inexperienced, but let them go out and figure it out. Learning to hit something other than hard all the time.

Sina trying to avoid the block and hitting wide rather than tooling the block.

At Tulane on Friday and at Houston on Sunday. Although they are leaders in the West, they are not as good as SMU. They are just better at winning. They both have older players that are key.
          Last edited by flyingMoose; October 30, 2019, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X