2018 Lambo Radio Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Lambo Radio Shows

Thought maybe a single thread to follow Lambo's radio shows might be an efficient use of board space.

Lambo's first show is on FM 98.78 or AM 1330 this coming Monday, September 10th, at 6:00-6:30 pm and continuing in that time slot weekly through October. Beginning in November he moves to the 5:30-6:00 pm time slot (with replays at 8:00-8:30 pm on 1330 I think).

In the meantime, Paul Suellentrop has a his 1st Episode of Season 2 of his Roundhouse Podcasts out which is a a very good 15 minute interview with Shocker Associate Head Coach Sean Carter.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 6, 2018, 03:11 PM.

Mike reported that the lastest AVCA poll BYU is #1, Stanford is #2, Creighton #20 and Iowa State RV#26.

Lambo said he thinks we will really be impressed with Cal Polcy this coming weekend.

Yeah, we're 4-4 but Lambo thinks they are growing. He saw a different look and feel in the Creighton match. He thinks they knew Creigthton was the better team but still battled hard and competed.

Megan Taflinger has been fantastic considering the opponents that she has been putting up good numbers on.

Lambo schedules to give his kids a shot at post-season play without it being conference-or-bust proposition.

With added substitutions you will see more 6-2 offenses. If you jump into the 6-2 you should hve more firepower but generally may give up some ballhandler. With a 5-1 the question is do you have enough balance with your offense. He doesn't really know right now if he has enough pieces to play a 5-1 effectively. Jenna Mak has not participated in practice this year due to an injury and that has impacted his decision to go with the 6-2.

Last year Emily graded out at 90%+ on her decision making and location. This year they are closer to 70%. But he also remembers when Emily couldn't do any of this stuff very well.

He said they better not sleep on Stephen F. Austin. If they are in system they will hit it hard and run a lot of slides.

Cal Poly's Torrey Van Winden was not a 1st team All-American last year but Lambo thought she should have been.

Comment

First ever 1 hour show with Lambo. I like it.

Still experimenting trying to find out what works best for this team. Lambo said he doesn't need to have the score in his favor to feel good or to feel validated about what his team is doing. Either you or you learn or hopefully you do both. Pushing a good team is more valuable than beating a bad team.

Lambo feels like he owes his team the opportunity to play the best and he will continue to do his best to schedule tough. Plus it gives his teams a chance to make the tournament without winning the conference.

The same things that the Shock need to bet better at are also things that put then at risk against poorer teams.

1 out of 5 service returns against Stephen F. Austin were either service aces or were overpassed.

BYU better than Lambo was expecting. JMU was more physical than the Shocks all over the place. Also Stephen F. Austin shows how valuable experience is in volleyball. He is not really surprised the SFA was more prepared to play than the Shocks which Lambo didn't like to admit.

Still shuffling the cards and he would like to get that behind him sooner than later but so far they are still too inconsistent.

When the dump truck your up against with your pickup truck gets better gas mileage than you than good luck keeping up. Teams like BYU, Stanford, Creighton and BYU were kind of like that. Bigger and more skilled is hard to overcome.

One and a half things have caused them the most problems. 1 is errors. The half is how do you deal with and react to those errors.Right now he has been trying to adjust out of those funks but maybe they should just stay with what they are doing and work toward execution.

One of the positives of this past weekend was Tabitha's play. He moved Tabitha from the left to the right just to give her a different look. There is a lot more on Tabitha's plate this year than in the past. But she has done very well on the back row as long as it doesn't wear her out.

Lambo said he knows he is giving up some passing with how this team has to play but what they need in return is more firepower which they haven't shown consistently yet although he thinks the talent is there.

Austin Hosto took over for a few minutes and talked about serving, digging, passing and blocking. So far stats show that they have to out dig their opponents by a significant % to win. Simplified the blocking schemes and plan this past weekend and it did work better.

Kennedy guarantees the Shockers will not go 20-0 this year. Primarily because they only have 18 matches. Lambo calls conference play the oven of mediocrity because everything in the league is 0.500 so the only place to make hay is in the non-con portion of the schedule. Lambo doesn't feel sorry for anybody who doesn't want to go out and schedule tough. Most of the big girls only want to play 1 match a day. The NCAA doesn't care how many matches you play on a day they just limit how many play dates you have. So getting those extra play dates for the non-con help when scheduling the big girls.

Lambo was surprised with how much Tulane lost last year especially after he saw them in person when the Shocks played them in New Orleans. However, he said at this point his focus will still be more on working on the Shocker weaknesses than on match planning for Tulane and Memphis.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 17, 2018, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Should be an interesting Lambo radio show tonight from 6-7 pm.

98.7 FM and 1330 KNSS

Comment

Anyone know if Lambo has a radio show tonight?

Comment

• WstateU
            WstateU commented
            Editing a comment
            Try 1240 AM (97.5 FM). Moved because of Chiefs football. Maybe I heard wrong; sounds like baseball.

It's on 97.5 FM now as the baseball game has just ended. Maybe on 1240 AM also but I haven't checked.

Comment

Lambo said if they had walked out a winner agaisnt Tulsa they would have felt pretty good about it. Left a lot of points out there with their serving.

Both USF and UCF, this weekends opponents, are both playing well. Shocks still have not seen the meat of the conference.

Tulsa was a very bad match for the Shockers at the service line. They went from best in the AAC after 2 matches to worst after 3 with their 18 errors vs 4 errors. That is just too many points to give away without the other team expending any effort.

He said at the end of the 5th set they had numerous blown assignments in blocking and Lambo considers that a lack focus and concentration. He said Kali was about he only one executing the blocking plan but at 5-10 is just not big enough to have a big effect.

He said neither Brooke or Regan have developed good court vision yet and when you put the block right in front of them the tend to hit directly into it. But overall he was pretty satisfied with Brooke's debut. She is better on defense than on offense. Brooke is as good anyone he has getting up early but needs work on seeing what's going on past the ball. He said they certainly got what they wanted out of Brooke.

Grace was cleared to play but would have been somewhat limited recovering from back spasms. Hard to say with back spasms when Grace may return to the lineup.

Megan Taflinger was a huge step in the right direction in the 5-1 but nothing else was really there. Still don't have upgraded passing or upgraded defense in the 5-1. If Jenna Mak was not injured she probably would be out there.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 1, 2018, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Monday, October 22nd Show

May switch back to the 6-2 during the rest of the year. Injuries have made it difficult to settle on very much.

AAC opponents have been getting sky high for the Shockers and those that have beat the Shockers have celebrated wildly.

Shocks still inconsistent on their focus in practice and with their competitiveness this year.

His program has always been one that can effectively make adjustments on the fly. This team has been more limited in that regard.

There is a little but of us now playing for the future.

​​​​​​​
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 22, 2018, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                ShockTalk commented
                Editing a comment
                I miss the "Thank" button. Your post is not something I "Like", but would "Thank" for the info.

• 1972Shocker
                1972Shocker commented
                Editing a comment
                Just to clarify, I "liked" your comment because I agreed with it not because I was thanking you.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              Monday, October 22nd Show

There is a little but of us now playing for the future.
              Has there been any talk on the Show of the Shockers playing in the Women's NIVC if they do not qualify for the NCAA Tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                Has there been any talk on the Show of the Shockers playing in the Women's NIVC if they do not qualify for the NCAA Tournament?
                I do not recall hearing any talk about that on the radio show nor has it come up in the Match Club pre-game chalk talks which usually last about 30 minutes depending on when Lambo shows uip. I have looked at that but I haven't really wanted to ask about it in the Match Club sessions at this point.

My understanding is they take the top team from each of the 32 conferences who did not make the NCAA Tournament and then fill in with at-large bids if any of those teams decline to participate. I don't know for sure whether they have any at-large invitations over and above that or not. Bottom line is that is is not the best 32 teams that did not make the NCAA Tournament.

I would think that if the Shocks had the opportunity they would take it considering the youth of this team although who knows for sure.

Comment

• flyingMoose
                  flyingMoose commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I assumed any suggestion along the lines of the NIVC might be premature and team-deflating. But if they don't beat Cincinnati, I think the possibility can be raised.

If I understand this evenings schedule for the Coaches' radio show Lambo will be at AJ's from 5 to 6, 3G will go from 6 to 7 and Keitha Adams will go from 7 to 8. However, Lambo's show will be taped and will be on the radio (AM 1330 AM or FM 98.7) at 8 to 9 to following Keitha's show.

Comment

Doesn't sound like Lambo is very familiar with how the NIVC works. He might be in for a bit of a surprise. If the Shocks don't receive the AAC auto bid there chances of an at-large invite is largely dependent on the auto bid from some of the other conferences declining their invitations.

Postseason NIVC Tournament Overview The National Invitational Volleyball Championship will be an annual tournament involving 32 to 40 of the nation's top women's Division I Volleyball teams. All...

Thirty-two (32) spots in the Postseason NIVC will be offered to the best teams available in each of the nation’s 32 conferences, after the NCAA Tournament committee makes its picks.

Selecting Teams: Automatic Berths
                  1. A team that is offered an automatic berth by the NIVC shall be the team that is a.) the highest-finishing team in its conference’s regular-season standings, and b.) is then not selected for the NCAA Tournament
                  2. Should a conference’s automatic qualifier team decline the NIVC invitation, then the conference forfeits its AQ spot and that berth goes into the at-large pool.
                  Selecting Teams: At-large Berths

The remaining team slots in the Postseason NIVC will be filled by the top teams available. Any team from a Division I conference, or a Division I independent team, will be considered. Any team considered for an at-large berth must either have an overall record of .500 or better, or must be top 50 NCAA RPI. Overall record includes conference tournament games.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 6, 2018, 12:21 AM.

Comment

I was surprised when Lambo told Kennedy last night that he has never had a player from Oklahoma on his roster. I would of missed that one in a trivia game.

Comment

No radio show for Lambo tonight (nor for 3G and HCKA).

Alex Koon did not play against UConn after leading the Shocks with 40 attacks in 4 sets against Temple. I think Lambo previously mentioned that Alex has been dealing with a shoulder issue for a good part of this season. Perhaps it was just time to shut her down and let the younger outsides get more experience to close out the season. Megan and Regan did get the most swings against UConn.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 19, 2018, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X