Anyone for a Little Cheddar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone for a Little Cheddar?

Noel Johnson, the son of ex-Shocker basketball star Cheese Johnson, was featured in the Nov./Dec. issue of Dime magazine. Noel, 14, is listed as one of the nation's top freshmen. He attends Lovejoy (Ga.) High. His nickname? Cheddar.

I know Cheese makes it back to Wichita every now and then and still has the same exuberance as he had as a Shocker standout. It will be interesting to see how Cheddar develops and, if he continues to be ranked highly if the Shockers will have a shot at him.

It couldn't hurt the coaching staff to keep an eye on him. With his fathers love for Shocker basketball that would give us a little advantage if he pans out to be really good.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

:) Like father like son :)
      Hope he develops into a superstar, the necessary ingredient for the Shocks to move to the next level :roll:
      :posterwu:
      Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. (Mt 21:22)

Comment

Googled him and found that he is 6-5. It was an east coast recruiting sight that ranked 8th-12th graders and every player on the list was from NJ, Philly, or a NY burrow, and then there was, "6-5, Noel Johnson (Atl)."

Since he was the only kid outside of the NY metro area that got mentioned, my guess is that he is special.

Lets go ahead and get a verbal from him now. He can play with Durley, Brown, Butler, and Hatch!
        Livin the dream

Comment

Wouldn't that be sumthin'!
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

I think I could find a scholarship for him. One site listed him in the top 22 in his class. He has been to Adidas Superstar Camp, 5 Star Camp, and Reebok Camp. He grew from 5-11 to 6-5 from the age of 11 to 13. My guess is he can play!

Comment

If he is anything like his Dad, it would be great, if he selected the Shockers.

Back in the Cheese Johnson days, fans were seated on the floor everywhere. My seats were two folding chairs, which were located by the old drinking fountains on the northeast corner of the arena.

On offense, Cheese used to set up on the block area of my corner of the court. I was so close to the play, I could hear every grunt, squeek, and uttered word.

Cheese was so much fun to watch. While only 6-5, he gave the defenders fits with his moves and power. He was a 6-5 load. Only Warren Armstrong was a bigger load at such a short height.

Cheddar would be just fine in Black and Gold.

Comment

Cheddar, here are a few of your Dad's career stats that you could shoot for:

Career Scoring Average - #7 at 17.3 points per game

Field Goals - #4 with 741

Career FG % - #8 at 52.3%

Free Throws Made - #4 with 425

Career Rebounds - #3 with 1,027

Rebounds Per Game - #10 at 9.3 per game

Career Assists - #12 with 278

Career Steals - #3 with 126

Good Ol' Dad did purty good for an undersized interior player.

Comment

we needa keep in contact with cheese just as much as chedda.

Comment

Do you think Cheese might be interested in a job as "Director of Basketball Operations" ? It seems to have worked repeatedly for KU.

In any case, we need to get Cheese in here for the 100-year celebration. I also think that any players brought in for that party should get enough tickets to bring any family members who would like to accompany them.

Then Cheddar can meet Dave, Cleo (I hear he's lost a step on his quickness in the last couple of years), Antoine, X, and maybe Cliff with his 2 rings.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

That would be sweet Aargh. A night with all the greats, and thier families, would be outstanding and the roof might actually come off the place. Not to mention little Chedder getting a taste of things that could be....
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

From a Georgia publication:

Freshman 6-7 WF Noel Johnson of Lovejoy is the leading scorer for his team with 17 ppg. Johnson is long, athletic and is a scorer with big-time potential.
                        Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. John Wooden

Comment

He'll be a sophmore next year correct??? Class of '09?
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                            He'll be a sophmore next year correct??? Class of '09?
                            This kid looks like NBA draft material

Comment

Here is some story I seen about some all star camp that Cheese's boy played in New York:

The rising 9th grade game seemed to be the most anticipated as many of the who's who were suited up and they didn't let us down going to work from the tip-off. The most anticipated match up was Lance Stephenson aka "The Problem" vs. Lamont "MoMo" Jones, two future NYC CHSAA "AA" players who have turned out the 8th grade circuit. Also on the card were nationally and regionally ranked players like Noel Johnson (Georgia - son of legendary Cheese Johnson), Jimmy Burke (New Jersey), Nurideem Lindsey (Pennsylvania), Keith Spellman (NY), James Padgett (NY), Ryan Creighton (LI), Omari Lawrence (NY), Darwin Ellis (NY) and Tamir Jackson (NJ). Lance Stephenson played a super all around game and took over giving the crowd every opportunity to see why some say he might be the best player in the last 30 years to come out of New York City. Ask someone that was there! This was a game that had (23) players score, (12) with eight or more and it wasn't like they weren't playing defense. Jumpers were raining deep, sweet passes were made and the crowd had a lot to absorb as these young ballers let us know that the east coast is loaded with talent from New York to Georgia. The final score was 121-99.
                              Rising 9th Grade - MVP - 6' 4" Lance Stephenson, All-Right Bounce 1st Team - 6' 5" Noel Johnson (Georgia), 6' 2" Nurideem Lindsey (Pennsylvania), 5' 10" Lamont "MoMo" Jones (New York), 5' 10" Jimmy Burke (New Jersey), 6' 6" James Padgett (New York)

Need to get to work on Cheese RIGHT NOW!

Comment

Working...
                              X