Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AG1219
    Originally posted by pogo
    If its only for a year maybe he could go to uk with coach Cal since he was famous for that at memphis. Oh wait, it looks like coach Cal has some problems with the ncaa and memphis will have to vacate its wins in its final 4 season just like providence did with coach Cal and its final 4 season. 3 strikes and your out?
    I think you're thinking of UMASS. But it begs the question.... Is Coach Cal the best coach to never have coached in the Final 4? :D
    My Bad.....You're right. The "Best" coach? Maybe the slickest.

Comment

• Ricardo del Rio wrote:
      ShockCity wrote:
      Ashockalypse wrote:
      I still bet that a better percentage of blue chippers that go to Wichita State make the NBA than blue chippers that go to Kansas. Wichita State blue chippers do not get lost in other blue chippers, their contributions are isolated against other less talented players and so their talents are more easily noticed as they make a greater impact for their team. Although they get less early season notice their reputation slowly builds and they get billed not so eventually as lottery picks. See A.
      Carr, Cliff Levingston, Xavier McDaniel, Maurice Evans. Ellis would be next; plus loved way more by hometown fans.

I love the Shox as much as anybody, but this statement is pretty much a moot point in this day and age. The days of a true blue chipper coming to WSU are pretty much over. Kids these days that are blue chippers will go to schools like KU, UNC, Duke, etc... because they will likely only have one or two years to showcase their talents before heading to the league. And, like it or not, they will get more exposure at one of those schools than they would at WSU. Honestly, I'm fine with this. WSU can bring in kids that are talented and can work hard and mold them into a true team and win just as much.

I agree with much of what you said. However, I think exposure is somewhat overrated. If a player can play, the scouts will find him.

I agree. But, I would say that most players at smaller schools don't get recognized until they are upperclassmen or unless they are on a team that makes some noise nationally. At a larger school with more exposure, you get recognized right away.

As usual the discussion runs far afield of the initial point. We were talking about Blue Chippers like Antoine Carr at a Valley type school like Wichita State vs. Blue Chippers at NC or Duke.l First, almost all of their recruiting classes every year are
      Blue Chip and therefore every year their are Blue Chippers relegated to the 8-13 spots on the team, and although their team may be getting the exposure, they might as well be on Fiji because 1 through 4 are getting all of the spotlight. Many of these never see 1 through 4 and will also never see the NBA. On the other hand they are nearly sure bets on teams like Wichita State as were car and Livingston and in their Freshman and Sophomore years, especially if there are two or three of them like when we had CarrCliffX, they can catapult a team in the Valley so much that attention comes quickly and in big waves. They stick out like sore thumbs. Like the kid at Davidson for example. I don't think it is that complicated what I am saying, virtually all of the blue chippers we have had in the last 30 years except for lefty have gone to the NBA plus McDaniel. CliffCarrDreilingEvans. 100% ;yet in this current group of KU players although many will go to the NBA, Aldrich, Collins, Henry, Markief, Taylor, there will be many more great players vertically concealed on 2nd and 3rd string that will not see the light of the NBA. Just look at the last many rosters of Duke KU and NC players who were McD all americans or blue chip players but just couldn't ever beat out their even better teammates. Occasionally these back-seaters transfer and realize their dreams by starting somewhere else and getting exposure. That said, I agree with he who said Perry Ellis may go the NBA from Slippery Rock or Faber College or indeed even Heights High School but if a couple of BCs came in again like Cliff and Antoine, we would immediately dominate the MVC and each of them whoever they be would spend long wealthy careers in the NBA. And City "win just as much" as what? I am pulling for our current group more than anyone but our teams have to be cultivated for at least three or four years and molded and finally, like in 06 if we have a lot of luck on our side, we might make a run to the 16. But that isn't winning just as much as anyone and certainly not just as much as we did in the early 80s. I will take such forever if we have to but that would not be preferable to nailing a local superstar adding one from elsewhere along with our current contingent and spending two or three years trying to crack the final four while ranked in the top 25. Now if you in the name of realism just want to accept that we can never convince anyone to come who might be of that caliber then you don't have very high targets. And if your whole fan base is willing to lie down andplay second division to the "big boys" without any more swagger than that then if I were Perry Ellis I would want to go somewhere else as well. I can't see Greg Marshall saying "I will never get Perry Ellis-he's too good for me" Patrick O"Bryant isn't relevant to this discussion.

Comment

• Sorry folks I don't know how to pull the quotes over the last full paragraph is where I started.

Comment

• Is hitting the enter key too much to ask of you? That last paragraph is just too much to read. Have you ever heard the phrase that presentation is as important as content?

A paragraph normally contains about 5-6 well constructed sentences. Anything more is OVERKILL.

Comment

• Reading that was painful

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan
              Reading that was painful
              That's an understatement... :blink:

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• ESPNU will be broadcasting the 2009 Boost Mobile Elite 24 from New York on Saturday at 6PM. It's The Goat Squad vs Skip To My Lou.

I don't know which team Perry will play for.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan
                  Reading that was painful
                  My eyes glazed over.

I thought it might be a doctoral thesis on quantum physics.
                  "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker
                    ESPNU will be broadcasting the 2009 Boost Mobile Elite 24 from New York on Saturday at 6PM. It's The Goat Squad vs Skip To My Lou.

How'd he do? I thought I read something that he had sprained an ankle?

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthroshock
                      Originally posted by 1979Shocker
                      ESPNU will be broadcasting the 2009 Boost Mobile Elite 24 from New York on Saturday at 6PM. It's The Goat Squad vs Skip To My Lou.

I turned it on and they were showing last year's game. This year's game wasn't played because of the weather. I don't know if it'll be made up or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker
                        Originally posted by Anthroshock

I turned it on and they were showing last year's game. This year's game wasn't played because of the weather. I don't know if it'll be made up or not.
                        Actually, according to this article it WAS played. But they had to scramble to change the location due to the weather. That is why it wasn't able to be televised as well. This article doesn't mention Ellis...and I can't really find a whole lot of articles about the game.

Rain may have moved it from legendary Rucker Park, but the show went on at the fourth annual Boost Mobile Elite 24, writes Ronnie Flores.
                        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan
                          Originally posted by Anthroshock

Actually, according to this article it WAS played. But they had to scramble to change the location due to the weather. That is why it wasn't able to be televised as well. This article doesn't mention Ellis...and I can't really find a whole lot of articles about the game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool...ory?id=4415858
                          Here's another article I found on the game.

Elite 24 Highlights

As expected, the game’s big men had little to no impact on the game. In spite of this, 2012 big man Perry Ellis slowly but surely worked his way into a very solid and comfortable second half. Tallying double digit rebounds, Ellis showed why he is so highly thought of. Hustling for loose balls and taking the limited touches he got right at his defender, Ellis was the most effective big in the game.
                          This Blue Devil site has a box score, but their colors are so bad (black letters on a blue background), that you can't read any scores unless you highlight the text or view the source. It looks like Perry got 2 points.

(For complete coverage, join BDN Premium for coming interviews with Irving and Rivers) ESPN RISE held the fourth annual Boost Mobile Elite 24 game tonight at the Gaucho’s Gym, Bronx, N.Y., after a two-hour rain delay forced the game to its alternate site from the planned Rucker Park location (where the game was played its […]

Comment

• Meet The No. 1 Pick In The 2013 NBA Draft

At one time in his life, LeBron James was just simply LeBron James. Back when he was growing up in Akron, Ohio playing basketball at local community center, without Sports Illustrated knocking on his front door and asking to put him on their cover, Bron was just a kid who loved to play basketball and happened to be pretty good at it. But the world we live in today is always looking for the Next Big Thing and sometimes they’re harder to find than others. Don’t worry though, I was able to find him in Wichita, Kansas and his name is Perry Ellis.

Comment

• 1979Shocker .... He wore #2 jersey in the game, it did not say how much he scored.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snapshot9
                                1979Shocker .... He wore #2 jersey in the game, it did not say how much he scored.
                                Here's a copy and paste of that box score. I had to remove where the high school was located and their ESPNU Rank so it would fit on one line.

Code:
                                Name             High School                Pos. Class Score 
                                Austin Rivers    Winter Park                PG   2011     9 
                                CJ Leslie        Word of God                PF   2010    15 
                                Cory Joseph      Findlay Prep               PG   2010     2 
                                DaJuan Coleman   Jamesville-DeWitt          PF   2012     0 
                                Dion Waiters     Life Center                SG   2010    15 
                                Doron Lamb       Oak Hill Academy           SG   2010    23 
                                Harrison Barnes  Ames                       SG   2010    18 
                                Jared Sullinger  Northland                  PF   2010     8 
                                Joe Jackson      White Station              PG   2010    10 
                                Josh Selby       Lake Clifton               PG   2010    18 
                                Josh Smith       Kentwood                   C    2010     4 
                                Kendall Marshall Bishop O’Connell           PG   2010     2 
                                Kyrie Irving     St. Patrick                PG   2010    16 
                                Myck Kabongo     St. Benedict’s             PG   2011    16 
                                Perry Ellis      Wichita Heights            PF   2012     2 
                                Phil Pressey     Episcopal School           PG   2010     4 
                                Rakeem Christmas Academy of the New Church  PF   2011     6 
                                Roscoe Smith     Oak Hill Academy           SF   2010    22 
                                Terrence Jones   Jefferson                  SF   2010     8 
                                Terrence Ross    Montrose Christian         SF   2010     2 
                                Tobias Harris    Half Hollow Hills West     PF   2010    20 
                                Tony Wroten Jr.  Garfield                   PG   2011     9 
                                Tristan Thompson Findlay Prep               PF   2010     6 
                                Will Barton      Brewster Academy           SG   2010    18

Comment

Working...
                                X