No announcement yet.

Darian Thibodeaux to Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watkins had 7 rebounds, not 7 assists in the final game. No doubt Watkins would be a catch for the Shox and would help from a leadership standpoint. However, let's not forget Watkins had Crowder who scored 27 in the final. Carter IS the go to guy with TRCC and he had 35 points in the final. As a comparison: Watkins - 6', 14.6 ppg, 49% FG, 35% 3 pt (only 37 attempts in 28 games), 72% FT (155 attempts). Carter - 6'4", 17.2 ppg, 43% FG, 38% 3 pt (60 attempts), 85% FT (209 attempts). If we can't get one, then maybe the other.

Clyburn averaged 19.6 ppg, but his shooting % for a 3 is so so. 45% FG, 26% 3 pt, 70% FT. He did average 8.7 rebounds, but we have rebounders. Rogers averaged 20.4 ppg, 49% FG, 40% 3 pt, 81% FT, and 5.5 rebounds and we'd have him for 3 years.

Comment

Even with DW's improvement I still want a JC point guard. We need another ready to go PG for next year. My pecking order is Carter followed by Watkins. If Jay Harris was interested, he is a freshman I would like to have. I don't think he wants to go that far from home.

Due to our recent offers and what has been said, I think there is good chance another scholarship will open. For me Clyburn, Rogers and Ben Smith are a toss-up.

I don't know if we will get any of the above but I hope so.
      In the fast lane

Comment

Trop - I was looking for Ben Smith. Does he have his own topic?

Comment

In the fast lane

Comment

Thanks Trop. I just couldn't find his link under the 2010 Recruiting Summary.

After refreshing my old memory, I would put him right there with Rogers. I think he's a step or two up over Clyburn. I noticed Ben does well against the top teams they played, even if the team didn't do so well. He would be a 3 / 2 and his FT % was just below 70%,, but he certainly appears to have some hops. Rogers big question may be whether he's quick enough to play the 3.

Either of these two should fill some gaps, now and later, and be fine additions.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk
              Rogers big question may be whether he's quick enough to play the 3.
              This is one of the frustrations of playing in a guard-oriented league like the MVC. You almost have to put guys like that at the 4 because it is unlikely he can guard 6'3"-6'4" threes in a 3-guard lineup, especially one like Bradley uses.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                This is one of the frustrations of playing in a guard-oriented league like the MVC. You almost have to put guys like that at the 4 because it is unlikely he can guard 6'3"-6'4" threes in a 3-guard lineup, especially one like Bradley uses.
                We could just flip it around and challenge the 6'3"-6'4" guards to try and hold him. He either shoots over them or posts them up and does the same. It goes both ways and we shouldn't always be having to adapt to what the other team wants to do.

It would come down to how big of a liability he'd be but I get the feeling it wouldn't be that great.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

:yes:

His advantage would be that he would be here for two more years after Durley, Blair, and Ellis are gone and play the 4. Also, assuming good depth on the team, give us that player for the 3 when we play (literally) big teams OCC and tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                    We could just flip it around and challenge the 6'3"-6'4" guards to try and hold him. He either shoots over them or posts them up and does the same. It goes both ways and we shouldn't always be having to adapt to what the other team wants to do.

It would come down to how big of a liability he'd be but I get the feeling it wouldn't be that great.
                    With our help defense, I'm not sure the mismatch would be in our favor.

Comment

On the other hand, we will have a true shot blocker in EO for the next three years, so we can more afford to have our perimeter guys pressure hard and give up some drives to the basket knowing that scoring in the lane won't be easy.
                      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter

On the other hand, we will have a true shot blocker in EO for the next three years, so we can more afford to have our perimeter guys pressure hard and give up some drives to the basket knowing that scoring in the lane won't be easy.
                        +1 ... This fits perfectly with one of HCGM's defensive philosophies -- pressure hard out top and force the ballhandler toward the middle and help.
                        “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Excellent point, TMH.

Comment

Trop. wrote:

"Even with DW's improvement I still want a JC point guard. We need another ready to go PG for next year. My pecking order is Carter followed by Watkins."

Refresh my memory. Who is Watkins?

Comment

Originally posted by calfan
                              Trop. wrote:

"Even with DW's improvement I still want a JC point guard. We need another ready to go PG for next year. My pecking order is Carter followed by Watkins."

Josh Watkins, SO, 6-1 combo guard, Howard CC...tourny MVP, scoring 26 pts, 7 asst in championship game.

We apparently are looking at him from the NJCAA tournament, as is OU.
                              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                                Originally posted by calfan
                                Trop. wrote:

Josh Watkins, SO, 6-1 combo guard, Howard CC...tourny MVP, scoring 26 pts, 7 asst in championship game.

We apparently are looking at him from the NJCAA tournament, as is OU.
                                Again, he had 7 rebounds, not 7 assists. That is, unless, the box score and the write-up about the final game on the tourney site is wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X