Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jaime Echenique 6'11 C 2018 JUCO a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Monday at noon.

Comment

• Jaime is warming up. Apparently doesn’t play much. We’ll see
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Plays 15-20 mpg.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• 8 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 blocks in a 100-54 win over #24 Baltimore City in the first round of NJCAA tournament. HCGM was on hand. Trinity Valley will play #8 Eastern Florida State tomorrow at 4:30 PM central. Game will be live-streamed.

Comment

• Doesn't Wendell Mitchell also play here? Are we still recruitng him?

Comment

• shocks02
            shocks02 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, and seems likely that we are.

• My recap of Jaime today versus Baltimore City

Jaime has a very nice physique. Needs to get with Kerry and develop upper body strength.

In warm-up, I watched him make 5 of 5 FTs, good motion and rotation on ball. He shot 69% for the season, I believe.
          He was 2-3 FT in the game. The first was a made "and-one." The second he missed -- looked like he rushed through his knee-bend and didn't have the hesitation I observed in warm-up and the other two makes. Made the second of two following the miss.

Jaime moves very easily and effortlessly. Hase good endurance. At beginning of his action, he back-peddaled from near mid-court into defensive position near the baseline -- wasn't guarding anybody at the time -- not too many 6'11" guys back pedal with ease. He runs the floor well, has good hands and catches well.

He had four fouls, two were legit, one was close call, one was bogus. Played at least 6-7 minutes with 4 fouls and drew a charge during that time.

He turned the ball over three times, two of those when he put the ball on the floor in the paint. The third was bring the ball up and at midcourt he tried to pass over a leaping defender, who picked the pass out of the air (a la Kelly -- or was it Willis in a recent game).

His glaring deficiencies are his lack of upper body strength to finish contested shots in the paint, tendency to dribble in the paint and he is not a leaping rebounder. He was trying to block out, but usually there was no one contesting, so it is hard to say if he was successful or not. Just didn't have many rebound opportunities.

He has 2 assists and passes the ball well and to the proper people. I'd like to see more two-hand passes rather than one-handed flicks of the wrist, but he was accurate, just not as firm as I think he'll need to be at WSU.

Overall, better offensive skills than Orupke, but not the leaper/rebounder that Orupke was. Can block shots in help defense situations. He really wasn't tested to defend a post-up, so that is undecided.

Wish he'd have four years instead of two, but would not write him off by any stretch.
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• WSUwatcher
            WSUwatcher commented
            Editing a comment
            "Pick and roll" -- isn't that a play, 12? Do jucos run plays?

• im4wsu
            im4wsu commented
            Editing a comment
            Didn't see any examples, though there might have been.

• RoyalShock
            RoyalShock commented
            Editing a comment
            In Juco it's called a "pickle roll".

• Jaime fought foul trouble in Trinity's 85-80 loss to Eastern Florida State. Still had 6 points, 7 rebounds and 2 blocks in 13 minutes before fouling out.
          “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Anyone whose combined statistics add up to 6 points, 7 rebounds and 2 blocks in 13 minutes before fouling out definitely earns the nickname - Perpetual Motion.

Hopefully, the fouling can be reduced in time.

Comment

• I would be very happy if he can give us those stats every game

Comment

• Aargh
                Aargh commented
                Editing a comment
                He probably can if he's in only for mop-up time when playing against the level of competition he's faced to achieve those numbers.
            Working...
            X