Sunrise Academy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    Just saw that Sunrise is now the #1 ranked team in the nation. They're in our backyard. Does anyone know if we're in on any of them?

Regardless of where they rank in any given year, I'd think we'd be recruiting at least one, if not many more, of these players on for any given class. No guarantees obviously, but with a resource so close, we have to have connections and a good relationship. I can't recall seeing any SCA players pop up recently, but I may have missed something.

I do know they're going to have a roster full of top 150-200 types every year. This years roster has a handful of 4* guys. Just doing a quick search of the current roster I didn't see any mention of us on any of them, though some of the foreign kids don't seem to have a lot of American data on them and I didn't look into the FIBA articles and whatnot. They're at SCA soI'm guessing the kids can play. It's just a real shame that there seems to be no sign of us in on any of them. I know most aren't KS kids or grow up here locally, but you'd still think there would be a relationship that could still open a few doors. I did see where they have a big kid that decommitted from Maryland a couple of weeks ago.

Again, I know there are no guarantees, but it looks bleak when we don't even show up on their pages when it comes to recruiting. But they're generally going to have some good/solid big options and I bet a number of those kids can outshoot anyone we're running out on the court currently. Probably have a couple of pretty good ballhandlers as well.

I know we've missed out on a number in the past, but we were also finalists for a few of their best players as well. I'd just like to see us have a more visible and active effort recruiting one of the best prep programs in the country that just happens to be a handful of miles from campus.
    Outside of being located in the same city, just what are the draws to our program. Experienced head coach, nationally relevant program, a solid conference, great relationship with the Sunrise program, recent success with Sunrise players? We may very well be trying to recruit kids from Sunrise. Just not getting any traction.

Comment

Didn't KP go to Sunrise? I would say we keep tabs on the program (or at least used to under the previous coach) but not sure if we're in on anybody currently.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Outside of being located in the same city, just what are the draws to our program. Experienced head coach, nationally relevant program, a solid conference, great relationship with the Sunrise program, recent success with Sunrise players? We may very well be trying to recruit kids from Sunrise. Just not getting any traction.
        I've seen Bryant show up on a couple of the kids from Sunrise, so much of what you say is irrelevant to our attempts and even showing up as recruiting or trying to recruit kids.

I'm not saying we're going to land many, if any, right now, but there's no reason we shouldn't be in there recruiting and trying to create more relationships. We've had some ok success with past SCA kids. We are currently underutilizing Pohto which probably doesn't help. I believe there is a good relationship between SCA and WSU. I've not heard otherwise. We do currently have a floundering HC and are in a solid conference. One that will continue to be solid even after three teams leave.

Again, it's not the fact that we don't have any commits from there for the class of 22, it's that we aren't showing up on any of the 22 or 23 recruits pages as having even attempted to recruit. There's way too much talent going through that school to not be looked at. And some of them are KS kids. The foreign kids generally don't have any preconceived ideas or contacts before they arrive. Certainly a few kids are possibly placed there by other schools, but not most of them.

If we were making a decent attempt, I have no doubt we'd show up on recruiting sites. Maybe I missed one somewhere, but it is a problem. Having a floundering HC is a problem. But he's also a likable guy and that may help open doors. But most top recruits want to be pushed. But again, this is more a conversation about the effort in recruiting SCA, not landing recruits from SCA. Though the right HC would have a good relationship there to be able to at least get on the radar.

Maybe we have to wait a few years to make changes before it changes, but having a top school in Bel Aire and not having any leads is ridiculous. Especially when they've got so much talent on the roster.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I know who I would like us to target but I am sure the Shox won't.

Comment

I've seen Bryant show up on a couple of the kids from Sunrise, so much of what you say is irrelevant to our attempts and even showing up as recruiting or trying to recruit kids.

I'm not saying we're going to land many, if any, right now, but there's no reason we shouldn't be in there recruiting and trying to create more relationships. We've had some ok success with past SCA kids. We are currently underutilizing Pohto which probably doesn't help. I believe there is a good relationship between SCA and WSU. I've not heard otherwise. We do currently have a floundering HC and are in a solid conference. One that will continue to be solid even after three teams leave.

Again, it's not the fact that we don't have any commits from there for the class of 22, it's that we aren't showing up on any of the 22 or 23 recruits pages as having even attempted to recruit. There's way too much talent going through that school to not be looked at. And some of them are KS kids. The foreign kids generally don't have any preconceived ideas or contacts before they arrive. Certainly a few kids are possibly placed there by other schools, but not most of them.

If we were making a decent attempt, I have no doubt we'd show up on recruiting sites. Maybe I missed one somewhere, but it is a problem. Having a floundering HC is a problem. But he's also a likable guy and that may help open doors. But most top recruits want to be pushed. But again, this is more a conversation about the effort in recruiting SCA, not landing recruits from SCA. Though the right HC would have a good relationship there to be able to at least get on the radar.

Maybe we have to wait a few years to make changes before it changes, but having a top school in Bel Aire and not having any leads is ridiculous. Especially when they've got so much talent on the roster.
            If you are correct (and probably are), then we may have bigger problems than what I mentioned, but that does not invalidate my additional potential reasons.

Who are our most recent former SCA kids and those relationships?

You also have a much higher value of our conference of the future than I do. In no way does any of the "new" schools really replace UConn, Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF. We were fighting for 1st tier recognition with the P6 idea. I do not see the AAC doing that in football or basketball in the near future.

Comment

You also have a much higher value of our conference of the future than I do. In no way does any of the "new" schools really replace UConn, Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF. We were fighting for 1st tier recognition with the P6 idea. I do not see the AAC doing that in football or basketball in the near future.
              Still should be as good as MWC (or at least close), and better than A 10, MVC, etc. imo.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                I know who I would like us to target but I am sure the Shox won't.

https://twitter.com/Laygogetit/statu...253883914?s=20
                They did offer him but didn’t make his top 7.

Comment

If you are correct (and probably are), then we may have bigger problems than what I mentioned, but that does not invalidate my additional potential reasons.

Who are our most recent former SCA kids and those relationships?
                  I can't speak to what our current relationship is with our former SCA players. As far as I know Zach Brown still has a good relationship. Bret Michael, while a walk-on, I believe has a good relationship. Is he still working at SCA? Rauno may or may not be good. I know there were said to be some less than pleasant things said about his girlfriend and now wife while he was here. Pohto is still here and should be a big part of our future if we don't screw that up.

Nobodies replacement schools replace those that left. With that said, schools like UAB and North Texas would generally be mid to upper mid in our conference while recruiting to CUSA. Give them some time to adapt and that probably improves. UTSA has built a top 25 football program in under 10 years of starting the program. They're committed to making the investments into basketball and it's much easier to turn around a basketball program than a football one. Though they are pretty weak right now. There seems to be a belief that Charlotte wants it and will invest. I'm skeptical. FAU we won't talk about. Rice only holds themselves back. They're making a major investment though in the program so we will see. I'd never expect them to really be at the top, but they don't have to be an anchor.

Some of these will take a little time, but lets not forget how much we all pretty much despised the addition of Loyola to the MVC and they turned out to do pretty well for themselves.

UConn has a name, but they did jack **** in the conference since we joined. They've found some success elsewhere, but it's not like they were contributing much during our time. UCF is a perennial underachiever in basketball. I think North Texas can do at least as well as they've been doing. Houston and Cincy are losses, but the BXII doesn't see this group as actually replacing Texas and Oklahoma. Granted, they also care more about football than basketball in this regard, but they still don't have near the value to the conference as those leaving. That's how realignment works. But I don't think we added near as poorly as some think. Plus, we have to remember that football is very important to this conference and the media deal that we enjoy. UTSA and UAB definitely help there and FAU might. I know they've had some decent teams from time to time and being in Miami probably doesn't suck for that either.

With that said, I do wish we'd added fewer and held out hope of pulling in Colorado State and Air Force as I think given a little time that would still have been a possibility. They really want more exposure in Texas and that's something the MWC really can't give to them, especially now since we grabbed UTSA, UNT and Rice. Those additions also make Navy happy which doesn't hurt the conference media deal. I also kinda wish Buffalo had been considered. They're another program that wants to be more and has had some success.

We're still going to be competing with the MWC for that spot next to the P conferences. If we and a few other programs get out **** together, we'll be just fine and leapfrog some of those conferences from time to time. But we're not in a good place and should be better. Temple should be better. SMU can be better. Tulane is getting better. I can't believe USF struggles as much as they do. So yes, there are some questions about the conference going forward, but I think more of that has to do with current members than those moving in. We're bitching about the adds but we just lost to one of them last month and would probably lose to a couple of others right now if we played. We need to worry about ourselves first and get **** figured out before we start bitching about those that have been given the opportunity to prove themselves and increase their stature in the recruiting world by being in a better conference.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Just saw that Sunrise is now the #1 ranked team in the nation. They're in our backyard. Does anyone know if we're in on any of them?

Regardless of where they rank in any given year, I'd think we'd be recruiting at least one, if not many more, of these players on for any given class. No guarantees obviously, but with a resource so close, we have to have connections and a good relationship. I can't recall seeing any SCA players pop up recently, but I may have missed something.

I do know they're going to have a roster full of top 150-200 types every year. This years roster has a handful of 4* guys. Just doing a quick search of the current roster I didn't see any mention of us on any of them, though some of the foreign kids don't seem to have a lot of American data on them and I didn't look into the FIBA articles and whatnot. They're at SCA soI'm guessing the kids can play. It's just a real shame that there seems to be no sign of us in on any of them. I know most aren't KS kids or grow up here locally, but you'd still think there would be a relationship that could still open a few doors. I did see where they have a big kid that decommitted from Maryland a couple of weeks ago.

Again, I know there are no guarantees, but it looks bleak when we don't even show up on their pages when it comes to recruiting. But they're generally going to have some good/solid big options and I bet a number of those kids can outshoot anyone we're running out on the court currently. Probably have a couple of pretty good ballhandlers as well.

I know we've missed out on a number in the past, but we were also finalists for a few of their best players as well. I'd just like to see us have a more visible and active effort recruiting one of the best prep programs in the country that just happens to be a handful of miles from campus.

I have an in with the sunrise basketball team. Will see what I can find out.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

If fHCGM couldn’t rope in the big names when WSU was at its peak, does anyone believe cHCIB can start doing so now?
                      The Assman

Comment

HCIB has a much better relationship with FACKL than FHCGM did.

I'm not saying that means an open pipeline of 5* talent is available to WSU, but it's factual.

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                          If fHCGM couldn’t rope in the big names when WSU was at its peak, does anyone believe cHCIB can start doing so now?
                          One made an effort, and was close on a few of them. The other....

You can't catch what you don't seek out.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Still wish they got Buddy to come to WSU.

How much fun would that have been!
                            The Assman

Comment

One made an effort, and was close on a few of them. The other....

You can't catch what you don't seek out.
                              We have a Sunrise player on our roster. What are you even talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by shocker43 View Post

We have a Sunrise player on our roster. What are you even talking about?
                                If you follow the along with the thread, it's that we aren't even showing up on any of the 22 or 23 kids lists which means there has been either no, or minimal effort into them.

And we did luck out that Pitino got fired in order to get Kenny. And then we're going to run him off by playing vastly inferior players in front of him. That's definitely not going to attract any future SCA kids.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X