Alex Lomax 5'11 4* PG 2018 to Memphis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
    Let's not bring integrity into this. He's a freaking kid and I'm not going to fault him if he decides to chose something that wasn't an option before by deciding he wants to stay home and play in his hometown for his mentor. I absolutely want him here and he will be a difference maker, but let's not cast aspersions against him if he changes his mind. He's an 18 year old who is looking out for his best interest.
    Crazy's right. Kids and coaches can't learn about and have integrity. Integrity only affects everything in life. Marriage, finances, business, etc. One can find fault and still accept the person in spite of it.

Comment

• Everyone just quit listening to the Memphis boards and Shox The Revenant. Instead, find some reliable sources, or just quit searching altogether.

Personally, I would not blame Lomax for leaving and would wish him well. Afterall, Penny is a father figure to the young man. I have no idea if he'll leave or not, so I'm not going to wildly speculate. Would love to see him stay, but it won't be the end of the world. I'll believe it when Gary Parish reports it.

"That's all I got to say about that." - Forest Gump

Comment

• Downtown Shocker Brown
        Downtown Shocker Brown commented
        Editing a comment
        Finally, a bit of rationality.

Does anyone believe that Penny did nit give Alex advice on his college choice? That he didnt help him weigh the options?

Penny was in support of Alex going to Wichita State, and while he surely wishes he had him at Memphis, nothing has changed at Wichita State.

• wsushox1
        wsushox1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Gary Parrish has all but considered it done in his mind on the local radio show he does. So I'm not even sure I would trust him either.

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Crazy's right. Kids and coaches can't learn about and have integrity. Integrity only affects everything in life. Marriage, finances, business, etc. One can find fault and still accept the person in spite of it.
      This has nothing to do with integrity, he's not chained to us, nor should he. If Gregg can walk at any moment, which not only within his right, he should be able to, so should a kid. If we can pull his scholarship after any single season why shouldn't he be able to walk(also there are loopholes that allow schools out of NLI's for "academic reasons")? You can this big moral stand and pretend you hold yourself to such a high standard, but if it was your kid and it was what you felt what was best for them and would make them happiest, what would you chose?

Comment

Let's not bring integrity into this. He's a freaking kid and I'm not going to fault him if he decides to chose something that wasn't an option before by deciding he wants to stay home and play in his hometown for his mentor. I absolutely want him here and he will be a difference maker, but let's not cast aspersions against him if he changes his mind. He's an 18 year old who is looking out for his best interest.
        I'm not sure going to Memphis is in his best interests though? Penny has coached him for how many years? Since middle school from what I heard. Is he really going to magically make him a better player by having the same teacher for 4 more years? Probably some but not a lot. If he comes to WSU, he has a new teacher that has proven to DEVELOP talent, not just coach it. He gets a fresh set of eyes on things he needs to work on and improve. I think his ceiling is higher by getting out from under Penny.

Him going to Memphis is what is in Penny's best interest for sure. I'm not sure it's what is best for Lomax.

Also - I'm not saying Penny is stunting his progress intentionally or trying to decieve Lomax at all.

Comment

• ShockCrazy
          ShockCrazy commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't know, I'm not making judgments on what IS best. I'm just saying only Lomax and his family can make this decision and no one should fault him either way. I think Gregg would do more for him than Penny developmentally both on and off the court, but Lomax has his own opinions and feelings and he should go with those, it's his life.

This has nothing to do with integrity, he's not chained to us, nor should he. If Gregg can walk at any moment, which not only within his right, he should be able to, so should a kid. If we can pull his scholarship after any single season why shouldn't he be able to walk(also there are loopholes that allow schools out of NLI's for "academic reasons")? You can this big moral stand and pretend you hold yourself to such a high standard, but if it was your kid and it was what you felt what was best for them and would make them happiest, what would you chose?
        He made a contract/commitment to WSU and WSU committed a free scholarship back. If Gregg leaves, WSU would most likely free Alo from his contract.

Comment

• WSU would be left in a pretty bad position, having to hunt for a replacement this late.

Situations arise, things happen. Marshall is a proven winner and a proven developer of talent. Hardaway is a father figure who probably helped him off the court more than on the court.

If he reverts back to Memphis and things don't pan out, well, let's just say we've seen this situation play out before. If I were Alex, I'd go with my first gut instinct.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• There is really nothing WSU can do to prevent Alex from backing out of his LOI and going to Memphis if Alex is willing to deal with the consequences of doing so.

It wouild be nice, and IMHO the right thing to do, if Alex would either confirm his commitment to WSU or announce he was not going to honor his LOI so that the WSU coaching staff can have the maximum time avialable to try to find a replacement for that scholarship. And who knows what his private conversations with Coach Marshall have been at this point.

My guess is Coach Marshall will be recruiting hard with an eye towards replacing Landry. If he gets someone and Landry stays but Alex backs out we are in good shape. If he gets someone and Landry stays and Alex stays committed then adjustments will be made elsewhere (and that may happen in any case).
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 20, 2018, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
              we may not have realized it at the time, but Fred also had other schools in his ear after he committed to us. Fred was a man of his word, I think Lomax will follow suit.
              Not the same at all.

Comment

• We would be left in a bad position if LS goes, as well. Now, I have been down on SMJ, however, his
                stock will rise enormously if we should happen to lose both AL and LS. SMJ has all the physical tools
                to be an outstanding PG. If our coaches could just make him understand the mental aspects and he
                would just embrace them he could potentially be a darned good one.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                  We would be left in a bad position if LS goes, as well. Now, I have been down on SMJ, however, his
                  stock will rise enormously if we should happen to lose both AL and LS. SMJ has all the physical tools
                  to be an outstanding PG. If our coaches could just make him understand the mental aspects and he
                  would just embrace them he could potentially be a darned good one.
                  The thing about SHJ is he has nerves so bad it makes him physically ill ... I'm not sure how you overcome that. I really feel bad for him.

Comment

• Anti-anxiety pills maybe???
                    FINAL FOURS:
                    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                    Number of Times Ranked: 157
                    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                    #3 - Dec. 2017
                    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                    #2 ~ March 2014
                    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Alex Lomax is wanted here... But it's gotta be mutual...

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                        Anti-anxiety pills maybe???
                        For SHJ or for Shockersnetters?

Comment

• Originally posted by choida View Post
                        Alex Lomax is wanted here... But it's gotta be mutual...
                        Alex Lomax wants to come here, hence he signed a National Letter of Intent to do so.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Hate to be bearer of bad news. But Sully through Roundhouse reports Lomax is let go of his LOI.

Comment

Working...
                          X