No announcement yet.

Rodgerick Brown 6'7 F 2017 to New Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If R Brown and Midtgaard are good enough to get 10 mpg, using them 4 years instead of 3 is going to be very important.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
      Question for anyone opposed to a redshirt for either of our incoming freshmen, who among the top 11 returners do you expect to play less minutes for either freshman then(I'm assuming a mostly like for like swap of SHJ for Daishon)? Because after all those 11 players that leaves a grand total of 344 minutes less than 10 per game for all walk-ons and freshmen(less than Austin played last year even with him missing games for injury). I personally would like to redshirt both freshman if possible and if they want to. The growth of AM and RB will not take place in games, it will happen in practice. If we have an injury that makes them necessary you pull it just as we did with Nurger when Grady went down.
      My leading candidate for a redshirt at this point is Austin Reaves. I'm saying that with very little knowledge of how he is recovering but if anyone could benefit physically from a redshirt year it would be Austin. And I absolutely love Austin's game. However, that would probably help CJ more than anyone in terms of who might absorb his minutes. Sounds like both the incoming Freshmen have D-1 ready bodies. Whether they have the skills and the ability to deal with the speed and intensity of the D-1 game remains to be seen. But I can live with whatever decisions the Coaches and the players make.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 27, 2017, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• Last year in the Valley, we had bunches of double digit wins. This allowed the freshmen and the walk-ons to play. Do not expect the same thing this year.

Comment

• Austin has basically been rehabbing since he arrived on campus. I agree, he needs a year to fully heal and bulk up. He could be special, but not if he keeps going down with injuries.

Comment

• I hope we redshirt no one. You never know when a scarcely used player might just give you a couple extremely valuable minutes in an NCAA tournament game. National championship or bust.

Comment

• The year rehab for Austin might be what it takes to get healed up. However, this is his decision and I will honor whatever he decides. With that said, what if he does redshirt? That leaves us 3 guards. Yes, this would be an opportunity for CJ whom I believe was instructed to learn the 2 slot along with the 3 he is already familiar with. ZB could probably play some 2. If not LS, CF, and SJ could be playing lots of minutes.

What do I wish would happen? This is a Season that could have an awesome ending. Not every Season points to that as much as this one could. Thus, I tend to lean toward hoping AR is healed up and ready to play. If he is not safe to do so, his health and well-being are the most important, even more so than the game of basketball IMO. Next, I hope R. Brown decides to play too. It's the ole "bird in the hand is more valuable than the two in the bush so go for all the marbles with all your players now syndrome." However, I will honor his decision either way too.
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• This could happen when the big boys come out to play. It is my favorite Doc H. scene in the Western called Tombstone.

Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• If I was calling the shot, I'd put red shirts on Reaves and Brown. Midtgaard needs some court time. Reaves needs to have some time to work on strength and conditioning that he's not been able to get over summers because of injury. There's not enough PT for Brown to blow off a year.

If Shamet leaves after this year, and there's a possibility that neither Harris nor Lomax commits, having Reaves for 3 years would be huge.

This year we can "get by" playing Shamet and Frankamp 30+ minutes a game. That's some high-class "getting by". That would put Keyser and Haynes-Jones at 8 (or less) minutes a game.

If this is the year to go for the Natty, then you want Zach Brown in the game as much as possible. Maybe he's another 30-minute guy. Move McDuffie over there to cover Brown's breaks and use Kelly and Willis to cover when McDuffie plays 3 or takes a break and there's no visible PT for R Brown.

This year can take care of itself without R Brown and Reaves. Having those guys for an extra year is insurance for future years. It does no good to go to a F4 or a championship game if you drop off the face of the earth the next year. There's nothing much more effective for getting the "mid-major" label stuck back on a team trying to shake that label.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                    If I was calling the shot, I'd put red shirts on Reaves and Brown. Midtgaard needs some court time. Reaves needs to have some time to work on strength and conditioning that he's not been able to get over summers because of injury. There's not enough PT for Brown to blow off a year.

If Shamet leaves after this year, and there's a possibility that neither Harris nor Lomax commits, having Reaves for 3 years would be huge.

This year we can "get by" playing Shamet and Frankamp 30+ minutes a game. That's some high-class "getting by". That would put Keyser and Haynes-Jones at 8 (or less) minutes a game.

If this is the year to go for the Natty, then you want Zach Brown in the game as much as possible. Maybe he's another 30-minute guy. Move McDuffie over there to cover Brown's breaks and use Kelly and Willis to cover when McDuffie plays 3 or takes a break and there's no visible PT for R Brown.

This year can take care of itself without R Brown and Reaves. Having those guys for an extra year is insurance for future years. It does no good to go to a F4 or a championship game if you drop off the face of the earth the next year. There's nothing much more effective for getting the "mid-major" label stuck back on a team trying to shake that label.
                    I'm really hopeful that CJ will command more than 8 mpg.

Comment

If I was calling the shot, I'd put red shirts on Reaves and Brown. Midtgaard needs some court time. Reaves needs to have some time to work on strength and conditioning that he's not been able to get over summers because of injury. There's not enough PT for Brown to blow off a year.

Marshall can retire and our entire roster can transfer to Kentucky after they bring us a national championship this year and I will still be riding that high for the rest of my life.

Comment

• I have a funny feeling if Austin can't get out on that floor this year it may just about break his heart... It would probably only occur if he couldn't convince the medical and therapy type people to give him the go-ahead.. Even then, the coaches best not look like they are calling his number or he'd be out there faster than they could blink and yell whoaaaaa....

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                          Marshall can retire and our entire roster can transfer to Kentucky after they bring us a national championship this year and I will still be riding that high for the rest of my life.
                          In 2014, the thought went through my head that I would stop watching Shocker Basketball if 40-0 happened. I don't really think I would have done that, but I wouldn't want to be that guy who in 30 years kept dwelling back to that season ala 1979 Trees fan.
                          78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                            I hope we redshirt no one. You never know when a scarcely used player might just give you a couple extremely valuable minutes in an NCAA tournament game. National championship or bust.
                            If we are needing to dig into players 12 or 13 on our roster in a tournament run things have gone pretty disastrously. Also I would point out the opposite has come back to burn us much more than the scenario of redshirting someone and needing them has. Lets not forget Gregg REALLY wanted to redshirt Stutz his freshman year, but lack of depth prevented it. I sure like the scenario of Stutz on that Final Four team and standing under the basket wide open against Louisville rather than Orupke. Would you have rather had Shaq as a freshman the undefeated season(a season with legitimate national title hopes) when he would have gotten garbage minutes or this year? I certainly think we made the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              My leading candidate for a redshirt at this point is Austin Reaves. I'm saying that with very little knowledge of how he is recovering but if anyone could benefit physically from a redshirt year it would be Austin. And I absolutely love Austin's game. However, that would probably help CJ more than anyone in terms of who might absorb his minutes. Sounds like both the incoming Freshmen have D-1 ready bodies. Whether they have the skills and the ability to deal with the speed and intensity of the D-1 game remains to be seen. But I can live with whatever decisions the Coaches and the players make.
                              I agree, I would love to redshirt AR, and think we would be fine with SHJ taking DS minutes and the 10 a game AR played being split among CF, LS, and CJ. I don't think it will end up happening but it would be ultimately for the best.

Comment

It does no good to go to a F4 or a championship game if you drop off the face of the earth the next year. There's nothing much more effective for getting the "mid-major" label stuck back on a team trying to shake that label.
                                Disagree completely. If the whole point is to advance to F4 and championships, then you do whatever you can to take that shot when you have it. And then you deal with the aftermath.

I don't think WSU, with 2 F4s and 14-16 NCAA wins in 6 years is going to be labeled poorly by anyone willing to be convinced by facts. Furthermore, I don't think Gregg Marshall coaching at WSU in the AAC coming off a F4+ and 14-16 NCAA wins in 6 years is going to have trouble putting together a competitive team.

Having said that, I have not strong opinion about whether or not Brown should RS. I haven't seen him play.

Comment

Working...
                                X