Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nigerian recruits

Just got this PM from a guy on the liberty board

"For what it's worth Okon's former boss Randy Dunton has made the statement that the 7 footer is going to follow him (Okom) out there and it's possible you could be getting a few more from Nigeria as well, I hear maybe a total of 3...of course this was told to me in private but, should be pretty solid info, it did come right from Randy."

Sorry I started a seperate thread but pretty exciting info in my opinion. Randy was liberty's former coach and was the one who signed Orupke.

also here is a response to a thread I started over there.

"Based on my understanding, our only contact for Orukpe was through Dominick. With him no longer on staff I believe we have had zero contact with him. Based on that we moved ahead and gave him scholie to somebody else. But with no contact, there has been no ask for release of his scholarship. But I suspect that will come soon now that Dominick has an employer.

I would be shocked if he's not a Shocker this coming season (yes, lame pun intended). I'm sure Coach Okon was using EO as a bargaining chip for a gig. And wouldn't we all int he same circumstances?

As for Frank Benjamin Eze, your guess is as good as mine. He very well could've signed with one of the Euro academies or he could be staying in Nigeria. Coach Okon apparently has a great relationship with the club that both of these Nigerian 7-footers play on. So one way or the other you should have a nice Nigerian pipeline coming to Kansas."

The Liberty fans are good people!

Re: Nigerian recruits

Thanks for the info, Ta Town!

Originally posted by Ta town
    The Liberty fans are good people!
    Not if you ask Winthrop fans! :D

The prospects of getting some quality Nigerian players is exciting, especially if Benjamine-Eze is among them. He sounds like a better overall player than Orupke who may be a project on the offensive end of the floor.

Comment

Man, that is EXCITING NEWS! WOW.

Do you know if Benjamin-Eze is a 07 or 08 recruit? There is some
      question about that?

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9

question about that?
        Dude..............I have no idea, all I know is some big body somewhere with the name Eze in it has a relationship with Okom to some extent. What continent he is on and what class he is in...........well I have no clue.

I think somebody else did clear up earlier that the guy in the US being recruited by Maryland isn't the same Eze as were talking about. With the similiar names and unfamiliarity with the country their from I can't follow much of it.

I might also add that the vibe I got thru PM's over there is that Okom while a good guy is valuable because of his connections and that he has a lot to learn as far as coaching, etc. So it's pretty safe to assume he was hired for one reason and thats bringing in talent from Africa.

Comment

I might also add that the vibe I got thru PM's over there is that Okom while a good guy is valuable because of his connections and that he has a lot to learn as far as coaching, etc. So it's pretty safe to assume he was hired for one reason and thats bringing in talent from Africa.
          If that's the case, then DoBO is the perfect job for him as he learns from the rest of the staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9

question about that?
            Dude..............I have no idea, all I know is some big body somewhere with the name Eze in it has a relationship with Okom to some extent. What continent he is on and what class he is in...........well I have no clue.

I think somebody else did clear up earlier that the guy in the US being recruited by Maryland isn't the same Eze as were talking about. With the similiar names and unfamiliarity with the country their from I can't follow much of it.

Those connections are valuable, and you can learn coaching (at least some of it) and who better to learn from than Marshall.

Comment

Oh I got no problem with the hiring of Okom. I think it's great :good: The point I was trying to make was that his connections is obviously why he was hired. Which means the next logical step is to begin seeing fruit from those connections and I'm talking state fair winning fruit as in 7' tall shot blockers :clap: :clap: :clap:

Comment

Coach

DOBO isn't a job that has to know much about basketball coaching - he has other responsibilities. I doubt many head coaches come from the ranks for DOBO. In this case - his job is to establish a pipeline of big tall athletes to the SHOCKERDOME!
                Don't let the fear of striking out - keep you from playing the game!

Comment

you could be getting a few more from Nigeria as well, I hear maybe a total of 3
                  I understand this is only an Internet rumor at this point, but if the number is 3, then I suspect there's a G on one of the Nigerian national teams.

Interesting concept: WSU - Home of the Nigerian National team.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Okay so i normally follow the recruiting info on here pretty religiously but this info about Nigerian players is got me lost. Can someone put a rundown of the 3? everyone seems to be talking about on here. Just there name and measurables?

Comment

C GM didn't retain the former DoBO (Australian connections). He probably prefers the Nigerian connections. :)
                      Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. (Mt 21:22)

Comment

This is total speculation, so don't start salivating too much just yet.

When the number of suspected Nigerians was 2, it was Orukpe (7'0") who played for an elite Nigerian Youth team and Frank (7'1") who played on the Nigerian National Youth team in what appears to be the same World Games Mekel played in last year in Greece. Frank is probably the best center in Africa, which has a lot of tall guys playing. Frank was 22 pts., 17 board, and 6 blocks in the only stats available. Bear in mind he was not doing that against little guys like a lot of HS players do.

Now that the rumor of 3 Nigerians has surfaced. Remember - it's a rumor - I have to speculate that the 3rd would be a G.

Comment

I just figured it was Hart. I have not read where he was not offered a scholorship. Where did you come up with that

Comment

Have you read where he WAS offered one?
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Hart is running out of time just like WSU is running out of time. This thing goes both ways. The fact that Hart didn't sign is a strong indication that something is going on. It seems more likely that something new is developing with WSU than with Hart.

If Sampay was Plan A and Hart was Plan B, I have enough confidence in Marshall to suspect there is at least a Plan C.

Comment

Working...
                              X