No announcement yet.

Top Five

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a strange feeling that Gal will be gone along with Preadom and Hatch. I think that Durley needs to do some serious work this summer or he might be gone too.
    :goshocks:

Comment

How silly of me calfan -- I'm sure that's the answer. Of course that approach to a discussion of recruits kind of makes this thread useless. Opps -- I did it again. That's probably what you thought of this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk
        How silly of me calfan -- I'm sure that's the answer. Of course that approach to a discussion of recruits kind of makes this thread useless. Opps -- I did it again. That's probably what you thought of this thread.
        Relax my friend and have a beer. I plan on having one (or more) at the various microbreweries in the St. Louis area this weekend. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9

Question is: Who is down by Dallas other than Kyles?
          Darian Thibodeaux (teammate of Kyles), Reggie Britton, Spencer Collins, Andrew Davis and Nathan Gibbs.
          In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by MikeShox
            Originally posted by ShockTalk
            Relax my friend and have a beer. I plan on having one (or more) at the various microbreweries in the St. Louis area this weekend. :)
            Please try some of this and tell me how it is...

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
            -John Wooden

Comment

Let's just say EO is coming. If we sign 3 more, and I think we will, who are the 3 we want at what position to cap off maybe our best Recruiting Class in many many moons?
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Coach Grant couldn't have been misunderstood on the Coaches show, and meant 'down to 5 players for each position they are looking for' instead of just down to 5 players for all positions, could he?

If it is just down to 5 in total, then I would think that 3 out of the 5, at least, would be Point Guards. And the other 2 would be Power Forwards.

Although we would like Beckham, the coaching staff might have already crossed him off since the 'bigs' are taking interest in him, especially UK.

But, if it is 5 per position, then that sure could generate much more discussion on here!

Comment

I think most on here have decided that the top 5 recruits right now would be mostly point gaurds. Why wouldn't they be? That is the most critical position on the floor and the lack of depth there is at a critical point.

I'm sure there will probably be a big signed too, but there seems to be quite a few juco bigs that have had a look, so it shouldn't be as difficult to get one of them.

Beckham would still be a top 5. Just because Kentucky is looking at him, doesn't mean anything. I think we are all aware of how that works (Thank you coach Gillaspie)! He might not get offered there. Georgia Tech might have him way down their list, and if he is at the top of ours, he might like the idea of being the top choice instead of a "backup plan".

That's just my $.02 worth.

Comment

I understand the speculation about bringing in 3 or 4 new players, but I haven't heard anything other than "1 or 2" from the coach's mouths.

Coach Grant sounded clear that we were looking at 5 guys, not 5 per position. And if they are looking to sign 1 or 2 more, as has been said, it makes sense.

1 PG and 1 SF/PF is my guess. Now that Ellis appears to be settling in to the PF spot, we may need another combo-forward.

Comment

I agree with Royal except for the Ellis thing. He played a lot of 3 last night as well as 4.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Certainly looks like a juco big and the best point guard we can get. I hope that ends up a high schooler. Course, we seem to be looking at juco wings, also.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                          I agree with Royal except for the Ellis thing. He played a lot of 3 last night as well as 4.
                          A couple of things lead me to the PF conclusion:

- Marshall has made mention of Aaron being a PF during the coach's show.
                          - Two years of Hawkins at the SF spot.

I think Ellis will become more of a combo-forward with his primary position being PF, but getting some time behind Hawkins at the 3.

Comment

Where would that leave Griskenas?

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                              Where would that leave Griskenas?
                              I'm certainly not saying Ellis should start next year (and perhaps a redshirt is still in the cards).

But assuming he doesn't redshirt, here is my depth chart for next year as it stands right now:

C: Stutz, Orukpe, Durley
                              PF: Clemente, Griskenas, Ellis, Durley
                              SF: Hawkins, Ellis, Griskenas, Kyles
                              SG: Mekel, Murry, Hatch, Kyles
                              PG: Hannah, Mekel, Michael, Preadom

Now, here's my adjusted depth chart for what I think might happen:

C: JC big man, Stutz, Durley
                              PF: Clemente, Griskenas, JC big man, Durley
                              SF: Hawkins, Griskenas, Kyles
                              SG: Murry, Hawkins, HS/JC swingman, Hannah, Kyles
                              PG: Hannah, HS/JC PG, Murry, Michael

Assumptions in that last scenario include Ellis and Orukpe redshirting (Durley already used his, but someone is going to have to sit out or burn a year), Mekel, Hatch and Preadom leaving on their own and signing a juco big man, a PG and a swingman to replace them. Hatch is the wildcard. I could see him returning. I also would not be surprised if Kyles redshirts for the same reason PJ did - too many players ahead of him.

Comment

The problem with Gris at the 3 is he struggles covering a 3 in man 'D' who can slash to the basket. He would be fine in a zone at the 3.
                                "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
                                which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

Working...
                                X