Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
    it's Miller, and not all that close
    I may be a victim of memory. It's just been too long since I saw Miller, but I do remember him being really good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
      His senior season he definitely was. And if we get another guy just like Stutz, I'll be very happy.

If we get a guy like Poeltl, I'll be excited.
      I won't be. He was too slow on defense. And since Coach Marshall stresses defense, I doubt he recruits someone like that again. At the time, Stutz was the best we had available, so he had to play.

Comment

• Nothing against Stutz personally, but he was the smallest playing big man I've seen. He would routinely get stuffed by guys 6" shorter than him. He was good for us at the time, but we're on another plane right now.

Comment

• I think some people need to rewatch the 2012 season to gain some perspective on Stutz.

In calendar year 2012 Stutz was averaging 16.3ppg and 9.3rpg while shooting 57% from the field. If you take out the 3 statistical anomalies caused by low playing time and usage in curb-stompings during that period the numbers get even better (18.2ppg, 10.4rpg).

This while being double-teamed, game-planned, and quite literally nut-punched by opponents. That team went 16-2 in conference and generally obliterated people.

I'd take another Stutz in a second.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
            I think some people need to rewatch the 2012 season to gain some perspective on Stutz.

In calendar year 2012 Stutz was averaging 16.3ppg and 9.3rpg while shooting 57% from the field. If you take out the 3 statistical anomalies caused by low playing time and usage in curb-stompings during that period the numbers get even better (18.2ppg, 10.4rpg).

This while being double-teamed, game-planned, and quite literally nut-punched by opponents. That team went 16-2 in conference and generally obliterated people.

Here, here! Add to it that Ragland virtually refused to pass him the ball at times.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
              I think some people need to rewatch the 2012 season to gain some perspective on Stutz.

^^^^This plus some. There's no true center on our team right now who's close to being as good as Stutz. Marshall took Bush and Nurger (who will hopefully develop into a player who's as productive). It's borderline insane to think he wouldn't take Stutz.
              “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                I wouldn't call Wessel a guard. I don't think he ever played SG and I know he never played PG. I think the closest he got was SF.
                What Vance said

Comment

• Miller and Stutz were both great players in their own very different ways and completely different systems. The next extremely talented 7 footer to play in 3G's system could be the ultimate combination of both, plus a little something extra.
                  "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                    I may be a victim of memory. It's just been too long since I saw Miller, but I do remember him being really good.
                    I think he was Valley POY and Honorable Mention All-American

Comment

• Stutz was dominating in the defensive boards. Teams didn't get extra shots. His only weakness was hedging the screen at the top of the key.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        Nothing against Stutz personally, but he was the smallest playing big man I've seen. He would routinely get stuffed by guys 6" shorter than him. He was good for us at the time, but we're on another plane right now.
                        I've said similar things about him playing small. I don't think he ever played like he had the size and strength he did. I don't think even his supporters would disagree with that: There's a reason he was never close to being an NBA talent.

But I disagree that we're on another level now. Stutz as a senior would unquestionably be our best option at the five this coming season. Probably as a junior, and possibly as a sophomore. It's crazy to believe he wouldn't play at least the 15 MPG he had in his non-senior years on this team ... Nurger played 8.8 MPG and wasn't even close to Stutz's production or size.

We're on another level with our guards, unquestionably. Our front court is not as good as it was with Stutz. Even junior Carl Hall, who played behind senior Stutz, would be by far our best five this year, if you count Grady as a four.
                        Originally posted by BleacherReport
                        Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                          Stutz was dominating in the defensive boards. Teams didn't get extra shots. His only weakness was hedging the screen at the top of the key.
                          He was a fine rebounder, but not all that dominant, except for senior year, compared to other recent Shockers (I'd love to include Miller, but the stats at sportsReference.com don't go back beyond Stutz's sophomore year for this category of % of rebounds while on the floor)

ORB% DRB% TRB%
                          Stutz 2009-10 13.7 19.4 16.5
                          2010-11 9.6 19 14.5
                          2011-12 9.7 27.2 19
                          Coleby 2013-14 8.4 16.3 12.5
                          Lufile 2012-13 7.9 18.3 13
                          2013-14 13.1 21.3 17.4
                          Orukpe 2010-11 10.4 32.2 21.7
                          2011-12 4.6 25.3 15.6
                          2012-13 12.1 21.4 16.7
                          Hall 2011-12 12.3 13.9 13.2
                          2012-13 12.8 14.9 13.8
                          Carter Carter 9.3 18.8 14.2
                          Carter 10.4 20.4 15.3
                          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                          ---------------------------------------
                          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                            He was a fine rebounder, but not all that dominant, except for senior year, compared to other recent Shockers (I'd love to include Miller, but the stats at sportsReference.com don't go back beyond Stutz's sophomore year for this category of % of rebounds while on the floor)

ORB% DRB% TRB%
                            2010-11 9.6 19 14.5
                            2011-12 9.7 27.2 19
                            2013-14 13.1 21.3 17.4
                            2011-12 4.6 25.3 15.6
                            2012-13 12.1 21.4 16.7
                            2012-13 12.8 14.9 13.8
                            Carter 10.4 20.4 15.3
                            But the Shockers are dominant rebounders overall, and Stutz had the second most dominant season in the last 9 years after Orukpe, who offered almost nothing on the offensive end.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

ORB% DRB% TRB%
                              2010-11 9.6 19 14.5
                              2011-12 9.7 27.2 19
                              2013-14 13.1 21.3 17.4
                              2011-12 4.6 25.3 15.6
                              2012-13 12.1 21.4 16.7
                              2012-13 12.8 14.9 13.8
                              Carter 10.4 20.4 15.3
                              Yes I'm referring to Stutz as a Senior. Neither Miller nor Stutz were very good before their Senior years. As Seniors, they were very good and I remember some games where he pulled almost all of the defensive rebounds. He was not an exceptional offensive rebounder. However the 9+ rebound average was almost all on the defensive end. I'm not sure if we would have the patience to wait on Miller and Stutz' development today (3 years before they were good players), but I'd take either one their Senior year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                Nothing against Stutz personally, but he was the smallest playing big man I've seen. He would routinely get stuffed by guys 6" shorter than him. He was good for us at the time, but we're on another plane right now.
                                People are so quick to forget contributions of the past. Stutz was and is good enough to start at the five on any team we've had since he graduated.
                                ============

Reviewing the best establishments and restaurants in Wichita
                                www.wichitabyeb.com

Comment

Working...
                                X