2015 Recruiting Summary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Recruiting Summary

We have 2 seniors for the 2014-15 season in Darius Carter and Tekele Cotton. Team/player success could add to that number.

Based on the work of others, I'll add below those individuals who appear to have been offered with a link to their SN page. Please let me know if I've left off anyone or need to make any other changes.

COMMITTED TO Wichita State:

Tyrone Taylor 6-3 PG
    Landry Shamet CG 6-4
    Markis McDuffie 6-7 SF
    Eric Hamilton PF 6-8

OFFERED PLAYERS STILL AVAILABLE:

Nych Smith 5-10 PG
    Perry "PJ" Dozier 6-4 PG
    Mychal Mulder 6-5 SF
    Shaun Kirk 6-7 SF

PLAYERS OFF THE TABLE

Jimmie Whitt 6-0 PG (Arkansas)
    Marquise Pointer 6-0 PG (Charleston)
    Jarvis Johnson 6-1 PG (Minnesota)
    Allonzo Trier 6-2 PG (Arizona)
    Kerwin Roach, Jr. 6-3 SG (Texas)
    Levan Alston, Jr. 6-3 SG (Temple)
    Donovan Mitchell 6-3 SG (Louisville)
    Malik Beasley 6-3 SG (Florida St)
    LaGerald Vick 6-4 SG (SMU) reclassified 2016
    Matt Milon 6-4 SG (Boston College)
    Shembari Phillips 6-4 SG (Tennessee)
    Shake Milton 6-4 SG (SMU)
    Dazon Ingram 6-4 CG (Alabama)
    Donte Fitzpatrick 6-4 SF (Ole Miss)
    Quindary Weatherspoon 6-5 SG (Miss. St)
    C.J. Bryce 6-5 SG (UNC-Wilmington)
    TJ Dunans 6-5 SG (Auburn)
    Ethan Stair 6-5 SG (Mercer)
    Matt McQuaid 6-5 SF (Michigan St)
    Haanif Cheatham 6-5 SF (Marquette)
    Dwayne Bacon 6-6 W (Florida St)
    Daniel Purifoy 6-6 SF (Auburn)
    Ahmad Gilbert 6-6 SF (George Mason)
    Kaiser Gates 6-7 SF (Xavier)
    Ogugua "OG" Anunoby 6-7 SF (Indiana)
    Dean Wade 6-7 PF (Kansas State)
    Develle Phillips 6-8 PF (DePaul)
    Kerry Blackshear, Jr. 6-9 PF (Virginia Tech)
    D'Jery Baptise 6-11 C (Vanderbilt)
    Tacko Fall 7-5 C (Central Florida)
    Last edited by ShockTalk; November 12, 2014, 09:59 AM.

Good stuff! This should be stickies for the next 8 months.
    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
      Good stuff! This should be stickies for the next 8 months.
      The 2012 Recruiting Summary and the Signings and Verbals threads can probably be unstickied.

Comment

November 12th is not all that far off.

Comment

That's quite a list. There is some real talent in there and I'm having a hard time picking out who I covet most. It's not as obvious as replacing the two guys leaving, Tekele and Darius (and possibly Ron), as their replacements may already be sitting on the bench or practicing with the team now.

I'm hopeful Henderson turns out to be our next PG so perhaps I'm looking for Beasley or Milton as a guy to come in behind Ron. And I've always liked what I've read about Purifoy. Or perhaps Blackshear? Good grief, what a great position to be in!

Comment

Now that Eric Hamilton is expected to be a member of WSU's 2015 class, that fills one spot (and does so very nicely); it also reduces the need for another big.

History suggests that there's always an extra spot (or more) by the time the last signing day rolls around. I suspect that as a result the Shocks are likely to add (at least?) two more after Hamilton, and as someone said in his thread I'll bet Dean Wade, even at his size, would be one if that match can be made. They certainly need at least one wing or SG, though, out of the numerous talented guys in whom they're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
              Now that Eric Hamilton is expected to be a member of WSU's 2015 class, that fills one spot (and does so very nicely); it also reduces the need for another big.

History suggests that there's always an extra spot (or more) by the time the last signing day rolls around. I suspect that as a result the Shocks are likely to add (at least?) two more after Hamilton, and as someone said in his thread I'll bet Dean Wade, even at his size, would be one if that match can be made. They certainly need at least one wing or SG, though, out of the numerous talented guys in whom they're interested.
              Assuming 2 spots are open, the biggest questions the staff may consider in who fills those spots could be 1) If needed, how well can Brown handle the SG on both sides of the ball, 2) How fast do they believe Henderson and Holland can take over the reins, 3) Do they expect Walker to become more than a walk-on. If the answer to these questions is "not so much", don't look for another big man in 2015. Now, if they feel Baker (and FVV) will be here for his senior year, that changes who they might go after hardest. Of course, if Baker is likely to leave after this season AND they feel there's a fair possibility FVV will as well, they will have to go after PG, SG, and/or CG.

I also noticed that Sky Williams is not on the updated roster.

Comment

Given his size, and notwithstanding his excellence as a player and leader -- did you see how he rated in the CBS "Candid coaches" survey? Very, very impressive -- the chance of FVV leaving early or having an opportunity to do so is almost nonexistent. So that isn't likely to be an opening or a spot they need to recruit right away, and having Fred back for another year plus Henderson (and Holland if he shows he can play the position) may even make it harder to attract a pure PG. Someone like Dazon Ingram, the 6-5 PG/CG from Alabama, might be a better candidate for a 2015 guard recruit.

Comment

Danjel Purifoy is one to watch as well as Ingram for a potential fall commitment.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                    Given his size, and notwithstanding his excellence as a player and leader -- did you see how he rated in the CBS "Candid coaches" survey? Very, very impressive -- the chance of FVV leaving early or having an opportunity to do so is almost nonexistent. So that isn't likely to be an opening or a spot they need to recruit right away, and having Fred back for another year plus Henderson (and Holland if he shows he can play the position) may even make it harder to attract a pure PG. Someone like Dazon Ingram, the 6-5 PG/CG from Alabama, might be a better candidate for a 2015 guard recruit.
                    Just for argument's, I can understand a very good PG prospect maybe not wanting to come in if FVV will be here for his senior year due to a lack of playing time. On the other hand, a smart PG (like a FVV-type) could also see the value in having FVV here his freshman season (see Armstead/FVV/Final 4).

Yes, there are potentially 2 players in the wings to take FVV place. However, right now, they are just that....potentially. Neither have seen D-I action and I can't imagine any top PG prospect being awed by that. Frankly, if that top PG prospect doesn't believe he can beat 2 unheralded and unproven players out, I'm guessing it's mutual on my part as I maybe don't want him either.

I want to be sure I understood you right. Fred's size aside, are you saying that his excellence as a player and leader and how very, very, impressive he is among coaches = the chance of FVV leaving early or having an opportunity to do so is almost nonexistent? Or is it strictly his size keeping Fred here because all those other great and impressive traits are not enough to out weigh that size?

Comment

FVVs size and non-elite level athleticism will keep him from leaving early.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                        FVVs size and non-elite level athleticism will keep him from leaving early.

@wufan:, I agree with you and @WSUwatcher:, but I will hedge that comment by saying that also depends on what this season brings. If we have a very good season, win 25+ games, the Valley, and win a couple at the Dance, I'll agree. If we go...say...30-3 through the Valley tourney and make the F4 or better, all bets are off.

Comment

I believe wufan is correct.

That's not to doubt that FVV has a potential NBA future because of his skills, basketball IQ, competitiveness, and leadership -- in fact, I think he very well might. But smart guys don't leave school early unless they're pretty much a lock to be first rounders. (Lots of people do, obviously; but not the smart ones, a group that unquestionably includes FVV -- you'd have to look a long time to find a player smarter and more level-headed.) And size and athleticism will prevent FVV from being a slam-dunk first rounder after this coming season.

Having said that, I believe ShockTalk's points about guys getting scared off are well taken. You want -- and I believe Marshall wants -- players who want to come in, compete, and learn from their older teammates, and not those who can be scared off by that type of situation.

Comment

It seems that Coach Marshall and staff are in overdrive with respect to player contacts and offers.

I do not remember Coach Turgeon ever being as active and aggressive as Coach Marshall is in recruiting.

Am I right or have I run off the road and into the ditch again?
                            "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                              It seems that Coach Marshall and staff are in overdrive with respect to player contacts and offers.

I do not remember Coach Turgeon ever being as active and aggressive as Coach Marshall is in recruiting.

Am I right or have I run off the road and into the ditch again?
                              Two things:

One is that WSU and Gregg Marshall are more high profile now then they were under Turgeon. As such, there is much more reporting on the happenings of our recruiting.

Two is that our high profile has allowed us to recruit higher profile recruits which have a large amount of coverage.

Add in Twitter and the actions of our staff are far more visible than they were 5-10 years ago.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                              X