New signee? Rauno Nurger from Sunrise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAH-no
    “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      How do you pronounce Rauno?

Rah - ooh - no? (ooh as in rhymes with glue)

or

R - ow - no? (ow as in rhymes with cow)
      I think it's pronounced the same way Baker's first name is pronounced, but with an 'O' on the end. So it's Ron Baker and Ron-O Nurger.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
        I think it's pronounced the same way Baker's first name is pronounced, but with an 'O' on the end. So it's Ron Baker and Ron-O Nurger.
        from the eagle article on the first page

Sunrise Christian Academy center Rauno (RAH-no) Nurger will play basketball at Wichita State this season

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2014/06/03/349...#storylink=cpy

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
          Yes. With Evan, the question is, can he put the ball in the basket when he is open. Hatch could. White couldn't. Evan is similar to these two players.
          Off topic, but I agree with khan in wondering whether Wessel's finger injury affected his shot in a way to which he hasn't yet adjusted. Still, he certainly isn't first player ever to have that injury, so it's no doubt possible to overcome, which makres it reasonable to wonder if there's a mental aspect as well. Comparing him to Hatch and White greatly understates his athletic ability, though -- he's a much better athlete than either.

In any case, I'm delighted that if we have to endure yet another bout of speculation about Wessel's future, it was at least stirred up by the addition of a player like Nurger, who brings with him a true center's size along with a combination of skills, attitude, quality experience, and nimbleness that we haven't seen in a WSU big man recruit for a long time.

Comment

I still can't believe we picked up a 4 year freshman center. Having it pop up out of the blue is incredible.

Correct me if I'm forgetting someone, but the only 4 year centers we've had this decade have been Stutz, Miller and Durley,

4 year centers produce titles!

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
              I still can't believe we picked up a 4 year freshman center. Having it pop up out of the blue is incredible.

Correct me if I'm forgetting someone, but the only 4 year centers we've had this decade have been Stutz, Miller and Durley,

4 year centers produce titles!
              We had 2 Valley regular season titles, a Sweet 16, and an NIT Title with Miller, Durley and Stutz plus on other NCAA appearance losing in the 1st round to VCU.

We had 1 Valley title, an NIT Title the NCAA loss to VCU under Durley & Stutz.

In the last two years, without a 4-year center we had the best two year run in Shocker history. 65-10 with an undefeated Valley regular season championship, our 1st Valley Tournament Championship in St. Louis, an undefeated regular season, a Final Four appearance and a season ending loss in the Round of 32 to the eventual National runners-up in what many believed was he best game of the NCAA Tournament. A key cog on the 2012-13 team was Carl Hall who was also on the Valley Championship team in Garrett Stutz' senior year.

Personally, I prefer 4-year players at any position. But a 4-year center in and of itself does not guarantee success. In fact, in today's game you have to have great guard play to be successful. Combine great guard play with solid front line play (especially rebounding and defense) and you have something.

Looks like we will have that combination in spades this year, although our lack of experience in the front court will be a challenge that will be interesting to observe.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                We had 2 Valley regular season titles, a Sweet 16, and an NIT Title with Miller, Durley and Stutz plus on other NCAA appearance losing in the 1st round to VCU.

In the last two years, without a 4-year center we had the best two year run in Shocker history. 65-10 with an undefeated Valley regular season championship, our 1st Valley Tournament Championship in St. Louis, an undefeated regular season, a Final Four appearance and a season ending loss in the Round of 32 to the eventual National runners-up in what many believed was he best game of the NCAA Tournament. A key cog on the 2012-13 team was Carl Hall who was also on the Valley Championship team in Garrett Stutz' senior year.

Personally, I prefer 4-year players at any position. But a 4-year center in and of itself does not guarantee success. In fact, in today's game you have to have great guard play to be successful. Combine great guard play with solid front line play (especially rebounding and defense) and you have something.

Looks like we will have that combination in spades this year, although our lack of experience in the front court will be a challenge that will be interesting to observe.
                Good points. Maybe a better way for me to look at it is that these 4 year centers are able to anchor teams in a way that can turn a program around. Those three guys were very instrumental in that way.

Here's my latest intriguing thought... Will Rauno be the first 4 year center who came into a fully locked and loaded Marshall era team? What will that look like as compared to the guys who went before who rebuilt the program?

I guess it's getting ahead of myself to assume he will be super special, but I am wondering what his career will look like.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Just think of what we would have done the last two years with 4-year centers! LOL
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                    Just think of what we would have done the last two years with 4-year centers! LOL
                    Dang it, @Kung Wu:! :) I should have known there would be such gaping holes in what I said.

Although now that I think about it, a Miller or a Stutz on last years team might have actually put us over the top

Comment

• I don't like this signing at all. I feel soooooooooooooo bad for Kentucky not getting him. Prayers and thoughts for the Kentucky program. Hopefully they will still be okay and can still compete. Just so sad.....
                      FINAL FOURS:
                      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                      Number of Times Ranked: 157
                      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                      #3 - Dec. 2017
                      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                      #2 ~ March 2014
                      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• They're consoling themselves with the knowledge that Calipari hasn't gone to the Lakers, AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                          They're consoling themselves with the knowledge that Calipari hasn't gone to the Lakers, AZ.
                          Lol!!!!!!!!!!!
                          FINAL FOURS:
                          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                          Number of Times Ranked: 157
                          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                          #3 - Dec. 2017
                          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                          #2 ~ March 2014
                          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                            I don't like this signing at all. I feel soooooooooooooo bad for Kentucky not getting him. Prayers and thoughts for the Kentucky program. Hopefully they will still be okay and can still compete. Just so sad.....
                            Just don't get caught crying for them on TV. Our fanbase can be so nasty toward such a display of emotion.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                            X