• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in for X jr. and big dog II
    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
      I want to bring the redshirt a juco debate from the Tevin topic over here . . .

I wasn't the first to bring up redshirting BWam, but I want to explore that idea here. Let me first say I'm not suggesting it should be done or that it's even likely. I'm just putting out a potential scenario.

First, I think we can mostly agree that Marshall doesn't like wasting a year of eligibility on a player who might only get spot minutes. If that were not true, I don't think Holland would have redshirted. We also know that redshirt decisions aren't made until close to the first game. So the idea that summer practices (which coaches can't watch anyway) determine such things is ridiculous.

Now, let's first examine Bush's experience. He played a season of NAIA, which I don't think is anywhere close to the competition in D1 juco, especially for big men. So his first real taste of good competition was this past season. His numbers were Ok, but not eye-popping. But as we know with jucos, it's hard to base much on big-man stats. I watched a couple of his games. He has strengths and weaknesses. I thought he fumbled the ball too much at times. He's good defensively on ball screens. He rebounds OK, and blocks fairly well. Foot work was mediocre. He scored so little I have no idea if he can hit anything outside of a layup. The big question is how well will his strengths transition to D1 and how much more will his weaknesses be exposed?

Now let's look at the competition for minutes. I'm going to presume that Glass and Carter will start at the 4 and 5, respectively. I expect Kelly to back up the 4 and possibly Carter to get some minutes there. The real question is, who backs up Carter at the 5? Shaq has had a year in the system. If he has his "motor" and endurance issues fixed and can hold his own on defense, he could serve as a guy who can play 12-15 minutes a game there. If so, then Wamukota would have to be good enough to eat into those minutes.

If Bush comes in having improved considerably over this past year, then this discussion is futile. But if not, he may be only looking at spot minutes or garbage time. Why waste a year of eligibility on a guy who, with another year of development and teamed with Shaq, could be a major force in the paint for two years? The redshirt could always be taken off in the event of an injury.

I don't think we've had the luxury of bringing in a juco guy when there were two others at their position. Because of that, and if Shaq is a serviceable backup, I can see a plausible scenario for redshirting Wamukota.
      I agree that if Marshall was TOTALLY SURE about all of the players that we already signed and/or the players we have coming back, we don't need Tevin. I also think that he hopes that we have a 7 footer ready to play next year. I would bet the farm that Gregg does not know the end game and how playing time for next year will all shake out. He probably does know that we have some seriously talented competition created and the best players will play. I doubt that at this time, he even thinks about who may redshirt. He is dialed in to the possibilities that we have available for next year. While official summer practices aren't allowed yet, you can bet that there are ways of getting legal reports regarding what is happening during the summer. Additionally, I think that believe that limited fall practices are allowed from August to October. You can bet that word will get out to the players regarding what to work on and how to work on it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        So are we done for the Class of 2014? It would seem so, but I guess you never know for sure.

I think Coach Marshall is pretty pleased with the character he has on this roster.

I'm thinking the focus now turns toward the Class of 2015 and beyond:

Tekele Cotton and Darius Carter will be our only seniors next year and, of course, Ron Baker could very well decide to declare for the NBA.

Not sure how you replace a Tekele Cotton and a Ron Baker (if it comes to that) when you weigh the entire package of tangible skills, intangibles, BBIQ, maturity, leadership etc., etc.

Darius ain't none to shabby himself and it will be interesting to see what he brings to the table next year especially if he hits it hard this summer.
        Will be interesting to see what we are targeting, or if we are just going for the best athletes available. We are potentially loaded at almost every position except PG with Fred and Corey at that position, and potentially the 5 spot, with Shaq and Bush W. But the 2,3, and 4 seem to be well stocked with Zach Brown, Evan Wessell, Rian Holland, Rashard Kelly, Eric Hamilton, and Tevin Glass.
        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

I fully understand why people say we shouldn't redshirt Bush Dubya (My new nickname for him. A play on George "dubya" Bush.) He is the tallest guy on the team and we are lacking at the 5. If this guy can contribute, he could be a game changer for us next year. He has also only played basketball a few years and is extremely raw. He averaged 6 ppg and 6 rpg at the juco level. Not exactly great stats. He was by far the tallest guy in almost all his games and he couldn't average more than those numbers. I understand there is a lot at play and those numbers can be misleading. If this guy looks lost to start the year redshirting him could be a great idea. I'd rather have 2 years of him producing than 1 year of him learning and 1 of him producing. His potential is huge and I want this guy to reach his potential with us. Redshirting might be a good choice, but I also understand why you wouldn't want to.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
            I want to bring the redshirt a juco debate from the Tevin topic over here . . .

I wasn't the first to bring up redshirting BWam, but I want to explore that idea here. Let me first say I'm not suggesting it should be done or that it's even likely. I'm just putting out a potential scenario.

First, I think we can mostly agree that Marshall doesn't like wasting a year of eligibility on a player who might only get spot minutes. If that were not true, I don't think Holland would have redshirted. We also know that redshirt decisions aren't made until close to the first game. So the idea that summer practices (which coaches can't watch anyway) determine such things is ridiculous.

Now, let's first examine Bush's experience. He played a season of NAIA, which I don't think is anywhere close to the competition in D1 juco, especially for big men. So his first real taste of good competition was this past season. His numbers were Ok, but not eye-popping. But as we know with jucos, it's hard to base much on big-man stats. I watched a couple of his games. He has strengths and weaknesses. I thought he fumbled the ball too much at times. He's good defensively on ball screens. He rebounds OK, and blocks fairly well. Foot work was mediocre. He scored so little I have no idea if he can hit anything outside of a layup. The big question is how well will his strengths transition to D1 and how much more will his weaknesses be exposed?

Now let's look at the competition for minutes. I'm going to presume that Glass and Carter will start at the 4 and 5, respectively. I expect Kelly to back up the 4 and possibly Carter to get some minutes there. The real question is, who backs up Carter at the 5? Shaq has had a year in the system. If he has his "motor" and endurance issues fixed and can hold his own on defense, he could serve as a guy who can play 12-15 minutes a game there. If so, then Wamukota would have to be good enough to eat into those minutes.

If Bush comes in having improved considerably over this past year, then this discussion is futile. But if not, he may be only looking at spot minutes or garbage time. Why waste a year of eligibility on a guy who, with another year of development and teamed with Shaq, could be a major force in the paint for two years? The redshirt could always be taken off in the event of an injury.

I don't think we've had the luxury of bringing in a juco guy when there were two others at their position. Because of that, and if Shaq is a serviceable backup, I can see a plausible scenario for redshirting Wamukota.
            It's not a terrible idea. A few years ago, a shooting guard at Newman redshirted AFTER his freshman or sophomore year to give himself a chance to bulk up and came back to lead all NCAA divisions in 3 point FG %.
            Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

I have no idea if anyone should or should not be redshirted, but can someone explain how Prep School works. Instead of redshirting an incoming freshman how does the Prep School work similar to what Zach Brown or Rashard Kelly did. Can Colleges help place student athletes at a Prep school similar to assisting a kid to a Juco if needed. They play against great competition and can work on their game and bodies for the D1 level. I do not know how they pay for this at Prep Schools but there sure are a lot of kids that go that route and then do not have to redshirt. Can anyone shed a little more light on this subject?

Comment

u answered your own question...prep school helps in player development...thus I have a hard time thinking that Brown or Kelly redshirt...more like Hamilton and Henderson are who I think might redshirt or in other words get little playing time...thus benefiting from a redshirt...

Comment

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                  I fully understand why people say we shouldn't redshirt Bush Dubya (My new nickname for him. A play on George "dubya" Bush.) He is the tallest guy on the team and we are lacking at the 5. If this guy can contribute, he could be a game changer for us next year. He has also only played basketball a few years and is extremely raw. He averaged 6 ppg and 6 rpg at the juco level. Not exactly great stats. He was by far the tallest guy in almost all his games and he couldn't average more than those numbers. I understand there is a lot at play and those numbers can be misleading. If this guy looks lost to start the year redshirting him could be a great idea. I'd rather have 2 years of him producing than 1 year of him learning and 1 of him producing. His potential is huge and I want this guy to reach his potential with us. Redshirting might be a good choice, but I also understand why you wouldn't want to.
                  I agree with those who want to redshirt bush, however, 3G wants his 5 spot sprinting, that's tough for 3 guys in the line up and red shirting bush would limit it to 2 guys sprinting for 40 minutes.
                  I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
                  If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

History.
                    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

There's a first time for everything, Ricky -- such as 35-0, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                        There's a first time for everything, Ricky -- such as 35-0, for example.

I had Coach Marshall's history with big men in mind.

Of course, you are right. Do you realize that August 2014 has five Fridays, five Saturdays and five Sundays? It will not occur again for 823 years. Not once in a lifetime, but once in about 12 lifetimes. Just sayin'.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                          Do you realize that August 2014 has five Fridays, five Saturdays and five Sundays? It will not occur again for 823 years. Not once in a lifetime, but once in about 12 lifetimes. Just sayin'.
                          That actually happens again in 2025. Don't believe everything you read on the internet :)

Comment

Originally posted by McShocker View Post
                            That actually happens again in 2025. Don't believe everything you read on the internet :)
                            I gotta stop believing these urban legends.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

That sequene of weekends will happen every time a month with 31 days starts on a Friday. 7 months have 31 days, so 7 of 12 months have a chance of having 5 Frdays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

There is a 1 in 7 chance that any month will start on a Friday. That means that 1/7 of 7/12 months will have 3 Fridays, Sturdays, and Sundays.

1/7 times 7/12 = .083. That means there's an 8.3% possibility that a month with 5 Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays will happen in any given year. Converting that into meaningful data - A month with 5 Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays will occur about every 12 years.

This post is really pretty nit-picking, techie, and boring. But I'm working on a computer that showed up with over 1,100 pieces of malware on it, and something else that blocks the removal of malware. So now I'm running a boot-time anti-virus scan, so I'm a little bored. Please pardon my techieness at the moment.
                              Last edited by Aargh; April 28, 2014, 01:27 AM.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

The next occurrence will actually be May, 2015.

Comment

Working...
                                X